Snarky Brides

Peanuts

Are you allergic to peanuts?
Are you ok with peanut "things" being brought to school or to work?

We are not allowed to have any peanut items for bake sales, lunches, or after school events in my school district. Teachers are allowed to have peanuts/peanut butter if they keep the sandwich in a sealed container in their workroom. Students who have peanut butter must put the sandwich in a sealed container and have it store in the nurses office, where they can eat it and then go to lunch.

Will the human race become extinct because of the peanut?

Re: Peanuts

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_peanuts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:b68cdad2-6153-4907-baa3-2e64f1bf8060Post:22fab31d-3677-4b3c-8a7d-ff1149184237">Peanuts</a>:
    [QUOTE]Are you allergic to peanuts? Are you ok with peanut "things" being brought to school or to work? We are not allowed to have any peanut items for bake sales, lunches, or after school events in my school district. Teachers are allowed to have peanuts/peanut butter if they keep the sandwich in a sealed container in their workroom. Students who have peanut butter must put the sandwich in a sealed container and have it store in the nurses office, where they can eat it and then go to lunch. Will the human race become extinct because of the peanut?
    Posted by katiewhompus[/QUOTE]

I get the precautionary measures as far as baked sales etc but having to leave my lunch with nurse as a student is weird.

I love peanut butter. I eat a PB&J everyday for breakfast.
  • A girl I work with can't make PB&J sandwiches for her kid. They don't allow it at all on campus, but they do allow some kind of PB substitute that apparently tastes disgusting. Bringing PB to school results in suspension for a kid, not sure about a teacher. I think that's a little extreme. Hopefully a parent knows to teach their child not to eat peanuts of any kind.
  • Dodger's, apparently in another school a student had a severe reaction to a peanut butter sandwich that was in a brown bag in a locker just by walking by. So it's all super peanut security now.

I think out of our total 1830 kids we probably have about 400 on the "medical allergies" list. It makes me want to cry just looking at it.
  • Hmm that goes a little to far and it will be hard to control.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_peanuts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:b68cdad2-6153-4907-baa3-2e64f1bf8060Post:74c4b89b-ab5d-453f-b2f5-2bb6a1a702f2">Re: Peanuts</a>:
    [QUOTE]Dodger's, apparently in another school <strong>a student had a severe reaction to a peanut butter sandwich that was in a brown bag in a locker just by walking by.</strong> So it's all super peanut security now. I think out of our total 1830 kids we probably have about 400 on the "medical allergies" list. It makes me want to cry just looking at it.
    Posted by katiewhompus[/QUOTE]

I never would of thought that could happen. I feel bad for those kids on the list. I remember being diabetes in high school I would have to bring my own diet drinks to school and leave then in the nurses office because the school vending machine didn't offer diet only the teachers lounges did. I would get water from the machines but during summer months it would sell out so fast and I'd be stuck w\o anything to drink.
  • Aww Dodger that sucks. Type I?
  • Aw Dodgers :(
    We actually have timed vending machines now. They sell water and juice until 3:30pm, then sell Pepsi, diet Pepsi and Sierra Mist.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_peanuts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:b68cdad2-6153-4907-baa3-2e64f1bf8060Post:397a3ddc-796c-40ce-b587-7292c7b9bea5">Re: Peanuts</a>:
    [QUOTE]Aww Dodger that sucks. Type I?
    Posted by ricksang[/QUOTE]

That's why we need more ppl like you to take control of what we are giving kids these days.

I am a special case. I am in between. I still produce insulin but very very little so with pills it doesn't cover my meals. So I take insulin to keep it better controlled.
  • Man.  I thought this was going to be about Snoopy
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_peanuts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:b68cdad2-6153-4907-baa3-2e64f1bf8060Post:7ce7ab1f-906f-4122-b841-73920e2cfc9f">Re: Peanuts</a>:
    [QUOTE]Man.  I thought this was going to be about Snoopy
    Posted by Joy2611[/QUOTE]

My cats are named  Charlie Brown and Lucy.  Does that make you feel better?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_peanuts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:b68cdad2-6153-4907-baa3-2e64f1bf8060Post:cea4d0d8-1af6-4a69-afe5-2cc7c3d1be57">Re: Peanuts</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm not a peanut allergy - rather a sensitivity. A can't eat it because it upsets my digestive system, but the smell won't hurt me. My uncle is severely anaphylactic (sp?), but managed through school when other kids brought peanut butter. I don't get how kids 10-20+ years ago survived with their peers bringing in foods they were allergic too, but now it is strictly forbidden. These kids need to learn how to manage their allergies - the real world isn't going to ban peanut butter sandwiches from the university campus or the office. 
    Posted by Beads921[/QUOTE]

<div>i guess you didn't read my post because, yes the do "ban" these products in offices or other places when the allergy is life threatening.</div><div>
    </div><div>i agree that there's been an overreaction to allergy precautions but at the same time, allergies to things like peanuts get worse with each exposure so some people need to be super cautious.</div><div>
    </div><div>my cousin will be dead if she has another exposure.  she's only 33 so she's got a lot of years ahead of her and so if she needs to request a nut ban in her office, i think it's reasonable.</div><div>
    </div><div>the flip side is that my daughter's school has a list of banned foods that's as long as me.  dairy products, bananas, strawberries, etc.... these are not airborne allergens and will not kill anyone.  this list pisses me off so i ignore it.</div>
  • People are too paranoid. And sensitive. And lawsuit-happy.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_peanuts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:b68cdad2-6153-4907-baa3-2e64f1bf8060Post:01ac6733-36a4-4847-a831-2f0c2624b6fa">Re: Peanuts</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Peanuts : i guess you didn't read my post because, yes the do "ban" these products in offices or other places when the allergy is life threatening. i agree that there's been an overreaction to allergy precautions but at the same time, allergies to things like peanuts get worse with each exposure so some people need to be super cautious. my cousin will be dead if she has another exposure.  she's only 33 so she's got a lot of years ahead of her and so if she needs to request a nut ban in her office, i think it's reasonable. the flip side is that my daughter's school has a list of banned foods that's as long as me.  dairy products, bananas, strawberries, etc....<strong> these are not airborne allergens and will not kill anyone.</strong>  this list pisses me off so i ignore it.
    Posted by flyjawn[/QUOTE]

The problem is still exposure though. Kid A is eating strawberries and for fun pokes Kid B with their fingers. Kid B reacts to the strawberry juice and has a bad reaction. There's a teacher in my school who is highly allergic to strawberries. One day she came into the nurses office and her arms were lobster red and beginning to blister. She had leaned against a desk where a student had been eating strawberries during study hall, wiped it down with a paper towel and left. There was still enough to cause the reaction.

I don't know how one of my friends eats. She is allergic (as in go into shock and die allergic) to peanuts, almonds, walnuts, apples, peaches, pears, plums, oranges, lemons, soy, dairy, egg whites, raspberries, strawberries, blueberries and blackberries.
    And the egg white allergy means she cannot use an epi-pen or get conventional vaccines.
  • I dunno, but I like peanuts in snickers.
  • Snickers are the candy bar of the gods...
  • I feel kind of dumb, but I didn't know peanut allergies could be airborne like that. I thought the person had to eat or touch it to actually feel any effects. The fact that just opening a bag of peanuts can just about kill a person is scary.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_peanuts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:b68cdad2-6153-4907-baa3-2e64f1bf8060Post:2a132b99-560e-4ac1-b040-6f29f7b3fd55">Re: Peanuts</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>I feel kind of dumb, but I didn't know peanut allergies could be airborne like that.</strong> I thought the person had to eat or touch it to actually feel any effects. The fact that just opening a bag of peanuts can just about kill a person is scary.
    Posted by Seshat411[/QUOTE]

Me neither.  I definetely had an eye-opener today.  I wonder why there are so many kids with these allergies.
    White Knot Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_peanuts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:b68cdad2-6153-4907-baa3-2e64f1bf8060Post:2c6a6b95-18fc-4e58-9aa7-d49bd1f83697">Re: Peanuts</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Peanuts : Me neither.  I definetely had an eye-opener today.  <strong>I wonder why there are so many kids with these allergies.</strong>
    Posted by Meg1979[/QUOTE]

<div>this is my pet peeve.  why aren't more people looking at WHY this is happening here?</div><div>
    </div><div>peanut allergies aren't increasing in most other countries.  what are we doing to ourselves?!!?!?!</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_peanuts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:b68cdad2-6153-4907-baa3-2e64f1bf8060Post:45b119a0-82f9-4a1e-ab4f-d1a136c95b69">Re: Peanuts</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Peanuts : this is my pet peeve.  why aren't more people looking at WHY this is happening here? peanut allergies aren't increasing in most other countries.  what are we doing to ourselves?!!?!?!
    Posted by flyjawn[/QUOTE]

Because most of the theories behind the rise are attributed to "those wacky tree huggers" even though many are supported by scientific research. One is largely that we are too clean in most of the US. The peanut has the same chemical (genetic? I forget) makeup as many of the parasites that children used to come in contact with from eating dirt, and still do in less developed nations. Our body attacks the first thing with that genetic code and since we're super clean here, it turns to peanuts and various pollens.
  • Wow, I didn't know that some schools were on such peanut lockdown.  I can understand that some precautions have to be taken, but wow, some of that is some hardcore stuff.
  • I'm not allergic to peanuts.

My mom is the director of a preschool. They tried banning peanuts only in classrooms where a kid was allergic, but then other parents were confused. In on classroom, it flip-flopped from nut-free to nut-safe and back three years in a row. So they banned nuts in all rooms for good. I think it's kind of dumb. But, I don;'t have a kid with a nut allergy, so I'm not compassionate.

In a way, I think they should have to deal with it, like vegetarians manage in a meat-eating world. But then, meat won't kill a vegetarian.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Infertile, living childfree, advocating like a BOSS
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards