Chit Chat

To Annouce or Not?

My fiance and I have decided to have an intimate destination wedding with about 24 guests (if every one is there), and plan on having a celebration with those that were/are not included (hate to say it.....invited because of budget and traveling) on our first year anniversary (which adds up to about 250 guests for a home reception). Should we or can we send out "We have decided to have an intimate wedding in Florida and upon our return we would love to celebrate with you on our first year anniversary" letter/announcement before the wedding? Or should we do something after the wedding? We are being asked if they are coming to the wedding in Florida. Just a little sick of being asked and dont want to hurt their feelings. Would like them to know where we stand with who will be there and who will not.

Re: To Annouce or Not?

• What you should do is say, "Oh we're planning a very intimate wedding."

THEN when it comes to planning the anniversary party, send out invitations for that.

I will say, be prepared that not everyone will be thrilled with the idea.  People want to see and celebrate the two of you GETTING married - not that you've been married a year.
  • Simply FatedSimply Fated member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited November 2010
    What people want to celebrate with you is your wedding... not the anniversary of a wedding they weren't invited to. It;s not unheard of to have a get together at home after a destination wedding, but a one year anniversary party? I dunno, I might be a little offended that I'm being invited to what seems to be a gift grabby event, even if that isn't your intention, which I'm sure it's not.
  • I would send out wedding announcements with no mention of the 1 year party.  Send out invitations to your party about 3 months in advance.  But I will say I think your better off having an at home party right after your wedding not a year later.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Wedding announcements are traditionally appropriate after the actual wedding, and may be a good time to notify people that there will be a hometown party later.

• I would send out an announcement after you are back that says we got married and are planning a party at a date to be determined where everyone can wish us well.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards