Not Engaged Yet

Monday Accountability

Morning ladies! I'm feeling motivated today. Also, I've decided to give My Fitness Pal a try for a week and see how I like it. I'm considering cancelling WW to save money. 

B: Greek yogurt (80), bagel thin with strawberry cream cheese (155)
S: Apple with LC blue cheese (100)
L: Healthy Choice Four Cheese Tortellini (300), baby carrots (70)
S: Apple (65)
D: ST Baked Chicken Parm (225), broccoli with parmesan & butter spray (168), side salad with light ranch (140)
S: String cheese (50)

Total: 1353

E: I went to the gym this morning before work. I did 20 push-ups and ran 1 mile in 10 minutes, 30 seconds (+114). I plan to do 40 more push-ups today. 

Net: 1239

Re: Monday Accountability

• B: honey bunches of oats + soy milk (190)
    L: apple (80) + peanut butter (190) + cheese stick (90) + juice (140)
    S: granola bar (190)
    D: not sure yet (500)

Total: 1380

E: weight lifting (-150)

Net: 1230

RDR: I think your net calories is too low.  Is that the amount MFP recommended? 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Good morning!  This week is going to be a nightmare.  This weekend was a nightmare.  The only thing I can control is what I put in my mouth and how much exercise I do.  Seriously, evething else is totally out of control.  They don't pay me enough for this stress....

B-lo carb monster (1) potato bread (2) 2T pb2 chocolate (1)
    S-grapes (0) yo crunch (5)
    L-Chobani (2) leftover spaghetti (13) carrot sticks and celery (0)
    S-Clementines (0) Sargento cheese snack (2)
    D-Parmesan meatloaf (9)

E-1 possibly 2 hours of Zumba.  I'm so stressed out today and I just got work, so it'll probably be two hours of Zumba.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • B: 2 HB eggs, greek yogurt
    S: 2 Clementines
    L: Honey Ham and LF String Cheese
    S: Carrots
    D: Not sure yet.  Chicken, green beans and potatoes maybe?  I've got a craving for a really yummy baked potato.

E: Run 3-4 miles (treadmill), ab workout
    I french with my man
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • B:  1 pc. toast with 1/2 TBS grape jelly, 1 egg + 1 egg white, 1 TBSP fresh salsa, 1 oz black forest ham with 1/2 oz gouda cheese (271)
    S:  probably none, or hot tea
    L:  4.5 oz ST ckn strips, 6 baby carrots, strawberries, vanilla Chobani (414)
    S:  homemade Chick Fil A fruit cup (100)
    post-E S:  16 wheat thins with 1/4 c. fresh salsa (155)
    D:  ST salisbury steak (SO GOOD!), 1/6 ST-inspired skillet potatoes, salad with balsamic vinegar, 1/2 c. blackberries (399_

total:  1339

E:  walk/jog cardio intervals for 1.6 mi; walk the dogs 1.6 mi (approx. -200)

net:  1139
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_monday-accountability-20?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:6264223e-1bf0-4145-a989-19954b58354fPost:d8ffc9e0-7542-47ac-a5c8-6f536d0cb8f2">Re: Monday Accountability</a>:
    [QUOTE]B: honey bunches of oats + soy milk (190) L: apple (80) + peanut butter (190) + cheese stick (90) + juice (140) S: granola bar (190) D: not sure yet (500) Total: 1380 E: weight lifting (-150) Net: 1230 RDR: I think your net calories is too low.  Is that the amount MFP recommended? 
    Posted by lovelyheather[/QUOTE]

<div>I guess it recommended 1200 calories? Does that mean eat 1200 calories or eat 1200 calories plus whatever I burned at the gym? I can't get on the actual website because it's blocked at work so I have to do everything through my phone. </div><div>
    </div><div>If It's less than it should be but I'm not hungry, what am I supposed to do? </div>

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_monday-accountability-20?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:6264223e-1bf0-4145-a989-19954b58354fPost:0273b5fa-a4b5-4fbd-bca6-271a10bedcb6">Re: Monday Accountability</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Monday Accountability : I guess it recommended 1200 calories? Does that mean eat 1200 calories or eat 1200 calories plus whatever I burned at the gym? I can't get on the actual website because it's blocked at work so I have to do everything through my phone.  If It's less than it should be but I'm not hungry, what am I supposed to do? 
    Posted by rdr716[/QUOTE]

rdr - I use Livestrong which is similar to MFP.  I'm small, so I tend to shoot to eat 1200-1350 cals a day, and then exercise to get down to 1100-1250 cals NET.

since you're probably more average-sized than I am, I would think that you need to eat more. your numbers are smaller or equal to mine, and I'm 4'10" and 120 lbs.

every so often, it's not BAD to eat less than what's recommended.  it takes 3 days or so for your body to register that you're "starving", so one day isn't going to hurt you, if you find that you're not hungry but you're under cals.  just aim on a consistent basis to hit your targeted amount. 

also, I would suggest that you take a week to also analyze your percentages of fat, carbs, and protein.  I try to keep mine at:
    Fat:  20-25%
    Carbs: 45-55%
    Prot:  25-30%

I've found that this combination is what keeps me satisfied, energetic, and losing weight when I need to.

what does MFP put your goal at?
  • edited January 2013
    ETA:  rdr:  you could add 2 TBS hummus to your baby carrots snack, or 1 oz deli meat with 1/2 oz cheese.  or salsa!  or guac.  that would easily up your cals to the targeted amount, give you some great nutrients and a little bit of variety.

I was going to buy some fantastic hummus at Sprouts this weekend, but it didn't fit in the grocery budget for that week (it was $5).  it ws a spicy black bean and chipotle humms, 2 TBS for 50 cals.  SO GOOD!  it's definitely on the list for this week.

ETA again!  also, rdr, my H has recently been doing tabata (HIIT) intervals to help with his weight loss.  I do them too.  they are short bursts that get the fat loss moving.  your body is really smart, and quickly adjusts to exercise and diet.  when you throw in these intervals, it will help you to shock things up and keep your body guessing.  so maybe look at doing a set of HIIT a few times a week and see if it helps?

this is all what I'm going back to school for, so I'm obviously having a blast.  :-\
  • Rdr, I agree that your net calories are way too low. To lose weight you should eat 20% less than your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure). Your TDEE is what your body burns on a daily basis. 

(20% of the number you get is how many calories you should consume to lose weight. Don't eat exercise calories back because the number includes activity)

Also you should calculate your BMR (basal metabolic rate). This number is how many calories your body basically needs to survive. 

For example, my TDEE is about 2200. 20% of 2200 is 440. 440 minus 2200 is 1760. Which means I should consume 1760 calories to lose a healthy amount.
  • B: 1 egg plus 2 egg whites and English muffin with butter and coffee 289 cal S: 24 almonds 166 cal L: Turkey and swiss on sandwich thin, carrot, grapes 329 cal S: chobani peach 140 cal D: white chicken chili stew, French bread, avocado and sour cream on top of stew 561 cal E: core synergistics burned 520 cal
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_monday-accountability-20?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:6264223e-1bf0-4145-a989-19954b58354fPost:0273b5fa-a4b5-4fbd-bca6-271a10bedcb6">Re: Monday Accountability</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Monday Accountability : I guess it recommended 1200 calories? Does that mean eat 1200 calories or eat 1200 calories plus whatever I burned at the gym? I can't get on the actual website because it's blocked at work so I have to do everything through my phone.  If It's less than it should be but I'm not hungry, what am I supposed to do? 
    Posted by rdr716[/QUOTE]

I use MFP too, it is 1200 + what ever you burn at the gym.

CocoBella had some great ideas on what to add to reach your goal.  I would go with the hummus, because hummus=YUM!  Also nuts or nut butter are quick additions that add a good amount of calories.  14 almonds or a tablespoon of peanut butter would be an extra 100 calories. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • B- hot chocolate, oatmeal with strawberries
    l- lentil dahl
    D-Spaghetti squash and red pepper sauce
    S- crackers, some beer may be

E- crunches

Anniversary

• Morning! B: protein shake S: oatmeal with blueberries and cinnamon L: rice noodles and meat sauce S: green smoothie D: pork chops with green beans and tomatoes. E: walking around the mall. I'm going shopping today.
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited January 2013
    B- oatmeal with peaches, green tea
    S- crackers with laughing cow light blue cheese wedge
    L- our lab is going out for lunch and I'm not sure where we're going yet so...I'll just try to eat something good haha
    D- soup with lots of beans and veggies, a little ground beef

E- yoga, lower body workout I found on Pinterest
    Anniversary
  • Thanks for all the advice, ladies. I put everything into my WW calculator to see how under my daily points I am and I'm at 24 points (I get 26) so it honestly doesn't seem that bad to me. I will add something in to bump my numbers up a little bit, though.

I honestly can't imagine eating over 1600 calories (that's what that TDEE thing is telling me I should be eating) unless I'm adding shlt into my diet. Like even adding a piece of cheese or a piece of fruit in doesn't bring me anywhere near 1600. A cheeseburger would bring me closer to that number, lol, but I don't see how eating a cheeseburger instead of a piece of grilled chicken is a good choice. 

Why does this need to be so difficult? I'm honestly over all of it and now I'm frustrated again. 

• Ugh. I NEED to start tracking calories again, like, now. I'm determined to lose 15lbs by July. Okay:

B: Coffee with creamer and sugar 250c
    L: Grilled cheese 400c
    D: Homemade pizza 600c
    S: Apple 80c

Excercise: None today, becase we have puppy class after work tonight.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • don't be frustrated!  it took me a while to figure out how many calories and what TYPES of calories worked best for me.  1600 is a big number.  if I went by that calculation, my TDEE would be eating 1475 calories a day, which is a GAIN for me for sure.

I would say that netting at 1200 cals would be a good place to start, rdr.  try that for a week or two and see how it's working.  you can always adjust.
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_monday-accountability-20?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:6264223e-1bf0-4145-a989-19954b58354fPost:5cbe5a23-8f83-40f4-8499-02b4c8979fc2">Re: Monday Accountability</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for all the advice, ladies. I put everything into my WW calculator to see how under my daily points I am and I'm at 24 points (I get 26) so it honestly doesn't seem that bad to me. I will add something in to bump my numbers up a little bit, though. I honestly can't imagine eating over 1600 calories (that's what that TDEE thing is telling me I should be eating) unless I'm adding shlt into my diet. Like even adding a piece of cheese or a piece of fruit in doesn't bring me anywhere near 1600. A cheeseburger would bring me closer to that number, lol, but I don't see how eating a cheeseburger instead of a piece of grilled chicken is a good choice.  Why does this need to be so difficult? I'm honestly over all of it and now I'm frustrated again. 
    Posted by rdr716[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>lol, it took me a while to figure out too. I eat 6 times a day, around 250-350 cal each meal and it gets me to the calories I need. I also burn about 450 calories when I workout. </div><div>
    </div><div>Everyone's body is different but eventually eating only 1200 calories backfires. 

</div>
  • Good morning! I have to go to the doctors today, not looking forward to it so I'm hoping today goes by really fast.

B: Spinach & banana smoothie - 7
    S: Turkey Jerky - 2
    L: Progresso Soup - 4 , Celery with PB - 3
    D: Turkey Tacos - 10

E: 40 min cardio, 20 minutes of weights, around +6 activity points
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_monday-accountability-20?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:6264223e-1bf0-4145-a989-19954b58354fPost:2620382f-92dd-4656-a8fa-25b10e8ff957">Re: Monday Accountability</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Monday Accountability : lol, it took me a while to figure out too. I eat 6 times a day, around 250-350 cal each meal and it gets me to the calories I need. I also burn about 450 calories when I workout.  <strong>Everyone's body is different but eventually eating only 1200 calories backfires. </strong>
    Posted by mymissingpuzzlepiece[/QUOTE]

<div>Maybe for you, but for some people 1200 cals is enough.  You just contradicted yourself there.</div>
    I french with my man
  • rdr:  try this calculator.  see what it tells you...  it tells me to net about 1200 cals a day for a weight loss of 0.9 lbs a week, to reach my goal by 3-31-13.  I left the goal date field blank and let it calculate it for me. 

http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/calories-goal.php

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_monday-accountability-20?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:6264223e-1bf0-4145-a989-19954b58354fPost:15abf17f-a834-4980-a7d6-3c289621f9ba">Re: Monday Accountability</a>:
    [QUOTE]rdr:  try this calculator.  see what it tells you...  it tells me to net about 1200 cals a day for a weight loss of 0.9 lbs a week, to reach my goal by 3-31-13.  I left the goal date field blank and let it calculate it for me.  <a href="http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/calories-goal.php" rel="nofollow">http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/calories-goal.php</a>
    Posted by CocoBellaF[/QUOTE]

<div>"<span style="color:#414141;font-family:verdana, sans-serif;font-size:12px;background-color:#ffffff;">You should consume about </span><strong style="margin:0px;padding:0px;border:0px;font-size:12px;vertical-align:baseline;color:#414141;font-family:verdana, sans-serif;background-color:#ffffff;">1,219</strong><span style="color:#414141;font-family:verdana, sans-serif;font-size:12px;background-color:#ffffff;"> calories a day to reach your goal weight of 135 lbs . This is at a reasonable weight loss average of 1 lbs per week, which should be reached by May 13, 2013."</span></div>

• there you go!  so try to NET around 1200-1250 each day for a couple weeks, and then revisit and see how it's working for you.

easy ways to "beef" up your cals would be to:
    stick a piece of fruit or an egg with breakfast
    stick a piece of fruit or almonds or a veg with your lunch
    add something to your afternoon snack (hummus, guac, salsa, unsalted nuts, etc.)
    get a dessert going!  if I don't I go crazy, even if it's just fruit or a few dark Hershey's kisses

I try to have a serving of fruit or veggies with meals and snacks. 

or feel free to tell me to "bug off".
  • lovelyheatherlovelyheather member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited January 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_monday-accountability-20?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:6264223e-1bf0-4145-a989-19954b58354fPost:15abf17f-a834-4980-a7d6-3c289621f9ba">Re: Monday Accountability</a>:
    [QUOTE]rdr:  try this calculator.  see what it tells you...  it tells me to net about 1200 cals a day for a weight loss of 0.9 lbs a week, to reach my goal by 3-31-13.  I left the goal date field blank and let it calculate it for me.  <a rel="nofollow" href="http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/calories-goal.php">http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/calories-goal.php</a>

Just for comparison, I entered my data into that calculator and came up with a very similar number to MFP.  Both are set to lose 1 lb per week.
    MFP: 1420 net
    Caloriecount: 1444 net

ETA: I also agree with Coco about trying this plan for a couple of weeks.  So long as your weight is trending downward, then you are all set.  I weight myself daily and occasionally I will have a higher weigh in, but as long as the general trend is losing I TRY not to worry about it (try of course being the key word). 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_monday-accountability-20?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:6264223e-1bf0-4145-a989-19954b58354fPost:2bd15f8f-975e-4609-aa70-482f7749d613">Re: Monday Accountability</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Monday Accountability : " You should consume about  1,219  calories a day to reach your goal weight of 135 lbs . This is at a reasonable weight loss average of 1 lbs per week, which should be reached by May 13, 2013."
    Posted by rdr716[/QUOTE]

<div>That's funny - I just tried the calculator and need to eat about 1200 to reach my goal of 135 by May 16th. We're twins! (almost)</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_monday-accountability-20?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:6264223e-1bf0-4145-a989-19954b58354fPost:fa3c5349-c4f9-4b7d-97b2-5107ebe0d3d0">Re: Monday Accountability</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Monday Accountability : Just for comparison, I entered my data into that calculator and came up with a very similar number to MFP.  Both are set to lose 1 lb per week. MFP: 1420 net Caloriecount: 1444 net
    Posted by lovelyheather[/QUOTE]

the 1200 I received is comparable to my Livestrong goal number as well.  I usually go for 1150-1250 net.  :)
  • I tried that website and it said you should "consume" x number of calories. That doesn't mean NET x number of calories. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_monday-accountability-20?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:6264223e-1bf0-4145-a989-19954b58354fPost:15abf17f-a834-4980-a7d6-3c289621f9ba">Re: Monday Accountability</a>:
    [QUOTE]rdr:  try this calculator.  see what it tells you...  it tells me to net about 1200 cals a day for a weight loss of 0.9 lbs a week, to reach my goal by 3-31-13.  I left the goal date field blank and let it calculate it for me.  <a href="http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/calories-goal.php" rel="nofollow">http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/calories-goal.php</a>

<div>According to this, I need to be netting 1460 cals/day.  I don't even know how to get there.  My plan for today is right at 1000, before exercise, and I'm not really sure what to do with that.</div>
    I french with my man
  • true, I just assumed net because that's how I normally would calculate.  however, it does ask for your activity level so I would think that it's not taking into account additional exercise above and beyond your selected activity level.  so I would think that if I exercise an additional 200 cals more than my normal activity level, I would need to consume some extra calories to offset that.

also, it matched up with my Livestrong "net" estimate, so another reason I just assumed net.  :)  I'm glad you mentioned it though, because that could make a difference for someone.
  • No, Coco, I really appreciate it! I'm going to do as you said, and shoot for 1200-1250 NET cals and see how it goes.

Going to edit my OP to reflect my changes. 

• lovelyheatherlovelyheather member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited January 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_monday-accountability-20?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:6264223e-1bf0-4145-a989-19954b58354fPost:8ae7175d-3b7c-4f48-bef8-a138da28879e">Re: Monday Accountability</a>:
    [QUOTE]I tried that website and it said you should "consume" x number of calories. That doesn't mean NET x number of calories. 
    Posted by cschiano[/QUOTE]

I think that is because they are assuming you selected the appropriate activity level <em>including</em> your workouts.  I have a hard time selecting the right level because I work a desk job, but I also put in hard workouts 5-6 days a week.  There is no combination of those two factors.  So I mark lightly active and then eat back my workout calories. 

If I mark the right level for my workouts (moderately active) it puts me at 1692 calories, which is about 350 more calories than lightly active.  So that assumes I burn about 350 calories per workout.  Since I take the occasional rest day and some workouts are harder than others (6 mile run vs a 3 mile run), I find it easier to select a lower activity level and eat back the calories as needed.  I could also just eat 1692/day and still lose weight.  This is closer to the TDEE method that puzzle suggested.  Since I do long runs on Saturdays and require more calories on those days, I don't like the TDEE method quite as much.

Edited to fix a few typos.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards