Illinois-Chicago

Incorporating my friends

Hi ladies,

i have a core group of girls that i've been close with since grammer school.  I could not put them in my wedding b/c my FI only has two guys standing up.  So I have my bestie and my sister in my wedding party but I would love to have the girls do something so everyone else knows how much they mean to me...any suggestions?

Re: Incorporating my friends

• edited December 2011
    I am in a similar situation, here are a few suggestions that were given to me:

-Ask  them to read a poem or bible verse that means a lot to you
    -Play a musical piece if they can play an instrument or sing
    -Let them do some MC-ing during the reception
  • edited December 2011
    I brought the gifts up during the ceremony for a close friend. She has a picture of us (me and a few other close friends/cousins) bearing the gifts among her wedding photos displayed in her home.
  • Cindy05Cindy05 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Great ideas, thanks!
  • edited December 2011
    You also don't have to have even sides.
    Steph & Brandon 4.17.10
    Planning Bio
    Married Bio - Updated 7.2
  • amylulichamylulich member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm thinking of having a friend of mine that is not going to be in the wedding party help coordinate little details like: keeping track of the bridesmaids' flowers/purses/personal items, relaying messages to family members (ie answering my phone when people are lost), etc. Sort of like a personal assistant. She'll still be in our "getting ready" and informal pictures.
  • edited December 2011
    you can make them ushers too! readings, gifts in mass, program distributors....i'm having this same issue and i brainstormed one night with my fiance and i have a whole list of random things they can help with at home :) if i remember i'll post all my ideas later on
  • edited December 2011
    Ok, I will share what a few of my friends have done, but with a caveat. 

Both weddings I have been a part of had 2-3 bridesmaids and made the 7 of us college friends "honorary bridesmaids."  We sat in the second row, ate at the head table, had flowers (but walked down the aisle with the family rather than in the processional), and were in the program.  As for our outfits...we were asked to wear a dress of a certain color (one wedding it was black, the other it was chocolate brown). We could use one we already had or buy a new one.

Now the caveat....it was really annoying.  Like we were second class to the actual bridesmaids.  Also, most of the time we ended up buying new dresses and shoes so we were spending more money than an average guest.  Also, we all came to the conclusion that we would rather have been guests and enjoyed the party with our dates.  I am the first of our 8 girls that will not be having the rest in the wedding. 
    Jan 2011 January SC- Wedding Rings
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker
    396 were invited image
    250 will be there!image
    146 are missing outimage
    0 are still thinkingimage
    RSVP Date: December 15th
  • Cindy05Cindy05 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That's what I'm afraid of-putting them "to work"!
  • edited December 2011
    I'm in a similar situation as well. Instead of having the ladies do a job, I am thinking of having the DJ play a song that is special to my friends and I an all the girlfriends dance together toward the very beginning of the reception. I will say a few words as to how special these friends are to me and how they have been there for me through thick and thin etc...
    I was also thinking of having them do intercessions during the ceremony... just a few ideas I had. Besides my friends, I have family that I need to incorporate as well. I just asked my sister in law on Easter to do a reading and she was very touched and accepted.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards