Moms and Maids

What Colors Should the Moms Wear??

The bridesmaid's dresses are pictured below.

What color should my mother and my groom's mother wear? Our wedding will be January 5, 2013.

Re: What Colors Should the Moms Wear??

• edited August 2012
    Maybe another shade of blue? Or gray/silver?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Whatever colors they want.  They don't need to coordinate.

• Whatever colors they want.  Whatever makes them feel beautiful is the right color.
  • Any color they want.  They aren't part of the wedding party so they do not have to coordinate.

• The moms get to choose any color and style they want as long as it fits with the formality of the wedding. They don't have to match or complement each other, the wedding party or the decor. They should avoid any shade of white as most people still honor the tradition of that being the bride's color, exclusively.

• i disagree that they can wear 'any colour they want'...i went to a wedding where the mothers dresses clashed terribley both ins tyle and colour.  and that's important becuase they were in pictures together.   But i agree they don't need to match the bridesmaids.  Our BM dresses are shades of brown/beige so my mother is wearing a gold dress and FMIL is wearing a blue-ish purple dress.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_what-colors-should-the-moms-wear?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:823887bb-bc12-49de-bb3c-c2292adc9f2cPost:1c3fa564-be9b-494b-8ddf-0f7069e45ab1">Re: What Colors Should the Moms Wear??</a>:
    [QUOTE]i disagree that they can wear 'any colour they want'...i went to a wedding where the mothers dresses clashed terribley both ins tyle and colour.  and that's important becuase they were in pictures together.   But i agree they don't need to match the bridesmaids.  Our BM dresses are shades of brown/beige so my mother is wearing a gold dress and FMIL is wearing a blue-ish purple dress.
    Posted by christinavy[/QUOTE]

The bride gets to coordinate the wedding party, only.

It's really a matter of opinion on what colors and styles clash. So I guess it's ok to tell the moms that the bms are wearing cobalt blue and let them take it from there. They definitely shouldn't be assigned colors. What they wear should be left to their own judgement.

As for the photography: there are no pictures in my wedding album of our mothers together or the parents with the wedding party. There are pictures of my husband and I with each set of parents, generational photos of each side of the family. There are also photos of various guests together, who did not coordinate their outfits - and still the pictures are beautiful. They are pictures of people we love, having a great time at our wedding.

• Thank you everyone! I was under the impression that I had to coordinate them, but I'll have them just pick out their own colors now :)
  • I'm the mother of the bride and I disagree that they should wear any color they want.  I do think moms should coordinate because they will be in the formal photos (at least).  The moms don't need to coordinate with the maids but the color should be close---complimentary.   The one color she shouldn't wear is white.  I believe that that color should be reserved for the bride.  
  • LeguLegu member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    In Response to Re:What Colors Should the Moms Wear??:[QUOTE]i disagree that they can wear 'any colour they want'...i went to a wedding where the mothers dresses clashed terribley both ins tyle and colour.nbsp; and that's important becuase they were in pictures together.nbsp;nbsp; But i agree they don't need to match the bridesmaids.nbsp; Our BM dresses are shades of brown/beige so my mother is wearing a gold dress and FMIL is wearing a blueish purple dress. Posted by christinavy[/QUOTE]

So, you would prefer FMIL and your own mother to look coordinated for your OhSoPrettyPictures, than to wear something they love and feel comfortable in?

Thanks for the advice, but my best photos would be of parents glowing with joy at feeling pretty and enjoying the day, rather than grimacing at having permenant reminders of being stuffed in a colour that just doesn't suit them.
    So, maybe things don't always go as planned... Maybe that's okay. I may be alone for now, but my baby boy is on his way, and I wouldn't change a thing.
  • There is a difference between demanding the mothers wear specific colors and making suggestions.  My mom really wanted direction on what colors to wear.  She doesn't want to clash with the wedding party, but she also wants to look like she belongs.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_what-colors-should-the-moms-wear?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:823887bb-bc12-49de-bb3c-c2292adc9f2cPost:fa48e7be-384d-405b-8b08-c0b103240aae">Re: What Colors Should the Moms Wear??</a>:
    [QUOTE]There is a difference between demanding the mothers wear specific colors and making suggestions.  <strong>My mom really wanted direction on what colors to wear.</strong>  She doesn't want to clash with the wedding party, but she also wants to look like she belongs.
    Posted by kerlan1[/QUOTE]

I'm with Kerlan - I'm still over 7 months out and both my mother and my FMIL are pestering me to tell them what to wear!  Honestly, they can wear pink with purple polka-dots and a feathered boa and I wouldn't mind if it made them happy.  But, since they both keep nagging me now I feel like I have to come up with some sort of answer!  Plus, they both want me to approve their outfit when they do find it.  It seems ridiculous, but I know they both aren't much into fashion or clothes and they want to look appropriate for the wedding.  I think the thing that makes some people most comfortable is reassurance and direction. 
    White Knot Wedding Countdown Ticker 168 invited image | 61 are coming image | 10 can't make it image | 97 still need to reply! image
    RSVP Deadline: March 9th
  • s-aries8990s-aries8990 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited September 2012
    I think that they may want to confer with eachother and the bride, but what they decide to wear is their decision. They don't need to match, but I think it couldnt hurt to suggest a range of complementary colors. As the maids are in purple, try suggesting other jewel tones or metallics.

If she wants to wear a pastel/mint green spring suit-dress or a neon fushia chiffon poncho amidst a group of winter jewel tones and heavy fabrics though, you can't stop her  :/
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I didn't care what they wore. My MIL would call me and ask me what my mom was wearing and I really didn't know. Then, my mom would call and ask the same question. (This was back and forth.) I told them to discuss the dresses and colors with each other. So, they did. My MIL wore a navy dress with a hat and my mom wore a chocolate dress with an elegant train. Their dresses were two different styles and both of them looked great that day.
  • StephJean83StephJean83 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited September 2012

As much as I love my mom and how wonderful she is, she wore black to my oldest sister's wedding and to my brother's two weddings and all three marriages ended in divorce. She wore blue to my sisters' weddings, and so far, both are going strong. My wedding theme/colors are based around a necklace my sister made me and my FH Fraternity colors(blues/purples/greens). I told my mom, that she is to wear a dress approved by me, left to her own she would pick out a dress that was literally a peacock or all black. I might be superstitious, but with my mom's "record", I think blue would be a better choice for her to wear(it is her favorite color anyways). That's my opinion.

You never lose by loving. You always lose by holding back. - Barbara DeAngelis
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards