Pre-wedding Parties

Bridal Shower Question!!!

So I'm not quite sure what proper etiquette would be in regards to our situation... We live in Canada but are running away to Virginia for our ceremony with only a few close friends and immediate family.  This is all taking place in May.  However, in late August we are hosting a reception at our place for all of our friends and extended family.  Since there is a couple of month in between our ceremony and our reception, when do we have the bridal shower?  My family wants to throw one for me but we aren't sure when the 'proper' time would be, before the ceremony, or after the ceremony/before the reception?  What do you think!?

Re: Bridal Shower Question!!!

• trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    When you make decisions, you live with the consequences of your decision.  You're deciding, your choice, to "run away to Virginia" for a tiny DW.  And the consequence of your choice is that you don't have a shower.

Grownups live with the consequences of the decisions they make.  Happy wedding.  Enjoy Virginia, enjoy your ceremony, and remember that showers are not a requirement to be married.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the feedback.  I agree with all of you. it was definitely something I felt that I should NOT be having. I thought that due to our circumstances it was wrong to have a shower, but my family/friends seemed to think otherwise.  
  • edited December 2011
    If you felt this was something you should not have, why even ask here? I say this is a money grubbing attempt at getting gifts from people that will not make it to the wedding...TSK TSK TSK!
  • edited December 2011
    I asked because I was unsure.  I make it quite clear the way that I felt but it was my family and friends who feel differently and since we clearly couldn't agree I thought I would ask on here. It has nothing to do with money grubbing, I was just curious what the ettiquette was. 
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_bridal-shower-question-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:32Discussion:ad4a6e4a-9273-49ff-9493-6f19f42e2810Post:242cd19d-47ae-4c6b-9f3c-503af4cc6dc3">Re: Bridal Shower Question!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I asked because I was unsure.  I make it quite clear the way that I felt but it was my family and friends who feel differently and since we clearly couldn't agree I thought I would ask on here. It has nothing to do with money grubbing, I was just curious what the ettiquette was. 
    Posted by TidalPeace[/QUOTE]
    Riiight, we hear this one all the time.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm not quite sure why you feel it necessary to try and insult me on a public message board.  I was obviously concerned enough to ask what the proper way to go about doing things was.  I felt it was wrong and wanted something to go to them with to show that it wasn't proper to have one hosted for me.  I do not agree with having a party, again I will state, my mother and MOH believe I should have one.  
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_bridal-shower-question-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:32Discussion:ad4a6e4a-9273-49ff-9493-6f19f42e2810Post:4e7ab99d-2379-4258-bfcf-a46b3f486d78">Re: Bridal Shower Question!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm not quite sure why you feel it necessary to try and insult me on a public message board.  I was obviously concerned enough to ask what the proper way to go about doing things was.  I felt it was wrong and wanted something to go to them with to show that it wasn't proper to have one hosted for me.  I do not agree with having a party, again I will state, my mother and MOH believe I should have one.  
    Posted by TidalPeace[/QUOTE]

Listen honey, its ok to want the gifts and the money cards and the dollar dance and the pretty pretty princess day, but don't put it on the like it is all them and poor you, you are just along for the ride...Just own up to it, that's all.
  • edited December 2011
    Oh my goodness... lol  

• edited December 2011
    Thank you ReTreadBride :)  That truly is all I was looking for -  advice.
  • edited December 2011
    So you're not gonna won up to it? OK
  • banana468banana468 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Taniamarie, seriously??  The OP agrees and is moving on.  Exactly what do you want here?
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the support Banana!

Lol RetreadBride!  :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards