South Asian Weddings

Vacation suggestion needed!!

I was talking to FI over the weekend and he wants us to go on a vacation when he gets back (I think he is estimating October-November).  He has to take one or two classes for work down in FL and I think its max ten days and he wants me to come with him.  But after that he wants us to go on a vacation for a week or two before he goes to India to see his mom.  He suggested going to London which we have been thinking about for a while, but I want to do it later, when we have our wedding date set so I can get my wedding clothes from there, since the designer I like is located there.  But I have no alternative suggestions to offer. 

Do you guys have any suggestions for me to suggest to him?  He won't do a cruise, since he works on a ship and stays at sea for months at a time, so he doesn't find it appealing.  We are both flexible in sight seeing or spending the whole time on the beach.  Or should we just go to London and have another trip later, but that would require two trips later to see the designer since she is going to be designing it.  That is three trips and it just sounds too expensive. 

Ladies, I am open to suggestion!!!  Somewhere warm would be nice. 

TIA!!!

Re: Vacation suggestion needed!!

• HinajHinaj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was talking to FI over the weekend and he wants us to go on a vacation when he gets back (I think he is estimating October-November).  He has to take one or two classes for work down in FL and I think its max ten days and he wants me to come with him.  But after that he wants us to go on a vacation for a week or two before he goes to India to see his mom.  He suggested going to London which we have been thinking about for a while, but I want to do it later, when we have our wedding date set so I can get my wedding clothes from there, since the designer I like is located there.  But I have no alternative suggestions to offer. 

Do you guys have any suggestions for me to suggest to him?  He won't do a cruise, since he works on a ship and stays at sea for months at a time, so he doesn't find it appealing.  We are both flexible in sight seeing or spending the whole time on the beach.  Or should we just go to London and have another trip later, but that would require two trips later to see the designer since she is going to be designing it.  That is three trips and it just sounds too expensive. 

Ladies, I am open to suggestion!!!  Somewhere warm would be nice. 

TIA!!!
  • edited December 2011
    Hey Hina
    Thats great you guys def. need time to yourselves after a long hiatus of not seeing each other.My suggestion is go to puerto rico! short probably 5 hr flight to PR from chicago me and FI went last yr in Aug ( I think around that time )we had a blast and since your FI is traveling so much I am sure he would want to do less traveling and more fun on land! You wont regret it, they have everything from good food to places to see, nightlife, activities to do or just relax. Let me know if you want more details
  • Bhanu&AnujBhanu&Anuj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Hey Hina

I think an all inclusive resort in puerto rico would be a great relaxing time!

I'd say do the beach thing...rather than the sightseeing ;)

xo
    B

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • HinajHinaj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey Nicky - Tell me more!!  Where did you guys go?  What did you guys do? 
  • edited December 2011
    Some of my friends just got back from Hawaii and they looked up all these None touristy things to do and had a great time. They went Kayaking, and hung out near a water fall. They said it was just amazing and if you ask the locals where to go and don't act like a tourist they will tell you the prettiest places. They stayed in a hotel that wasn't in any of the real major cities you hear about they said.
    Update 6/13/2010
    June 2011 SiggyChallenge: Wedding Cake
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Hina
    We landed in San Jaun, the capital of PR, we stayed 4 nights and 5 days in Ritz carlton, the hotel is just breathtaking you will be in great hands!! I cant tell you how great their service is and how beautiful the pool and the garden is you can let alone spend the whole day at the hotel easily floating away in the pool with a pina colada in your hand (ah memories.lol) and yea in evenings we headed out to walk around old San Jaun and visit the forts and or go dancing some days (the hotel right next door has a three floor club with great music) .Also,food is beyond amazing in old San Jaun and drinks(especially fresh mojitos) are out of this world, my fav resturant is Toro Saloo. For activites,  a native waitress told us about this island Culebra, tourists dont know about it.We took a jet flight to culebra island, you fly right over the beach...its so worth taking the flight over the ferry, I took like 20 pics of the beach in the jet..this beach is way tooo beautiful the waters are so blue..FI doesnt like beaches and he didnt even wait for me to put on sunscreeen, he ran right into the ocean when we got there..hahah. Also, we did night kayaking (total fun) through a lagoon that lead us to a bioluminscent bay (this is glowing water, it literally glows like pearls when you drop it from your hand) but its something that does require energy so you want to do it if you feel like having somewhat of a workout we totatlly enjoyed it and still talk about how this trip was the best thing we did in a long time together! :)
    Also, one more thing..there is also a popular rainforest that is so worth checking out, the waterfalls are amazing I have pictures up on FB from the trip if you want to check it out!
  • HinajHinaj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Beautiful pics Nicky!!!
  • edited December 2011
    Hina, you ditched me on FB! =( hahah
  • HinajHinaj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I didn't realize, I just went on the knot on the same page....lol I am sorry:(
  • edited December 2011
    do you have a FB bells?

if so, search for me @ trueleo818@yahoo.com
  • edited December 2011
    Hah! I was about to ask the same thing, I think I missed something...I didn't know there was Facebooking!

But what Nicky suggested sounds awesome! I want to go night kayaking in a bioluminscent bay!

Although I think if FI went to PR he wouldnt stop saying "butter peacan, puerto rican". Yeah, he is embarassing at times.Embarassed
    ExerciseMilestone
  • knadiapknadiap member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We spent a week in Puerto Rico, and cruised around, stayed in a bed and breakfast, and took in the sea, the shopping, the culture, and the fun!  You can island hop, as well. 
    "The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart." ~ Mrs K ~ ~ March 21st 2009 ~
  • vindaloovindaloo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I second the Puerto Rico trip--I think Jnsaini and I must have taken very similar trips!  The beach on Culebra was the most beautiful beach I've ever been to.  If you're adventurous and don't mind a bit of a hike, there's another great beach called Tamarindo, (I think--went there years ago).  Fantastic snorkelling there, and pretty isolated.  Any local by the main beack (called Playa Flamenco) can tell you how to get there (you cut through the parking lot and climb over the hill).  You should spend a few nights there--I think there's a W resort, but there are plenty of other, cuter places to stay. 

But note--you don't have to fly to Culebra. There's a port town called Fajardo that's about 45 minutes East of San Juan.  They have ferries that go to Culebra and to its sister Islan, Vieques.  I highly recommend the ferry since I saw whales both on our way there and back!  There is also a small rainforest, called El Yunque on the way to Fajardo.  Fun hiking, and a cool waterfall.

I also had a great time on Vieques, which is a bit more developed than Culebra.  Vieques has its own bioluminescent bay, but I prefer the one in Fajardo--you kayak through a really cool mangrove to get there.  If you go to Vieques, rent a jeep.  Many of the best little beaches are pretty off the beaten track, but totally worth it!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    So I have a couple of suggestions for you:

1. San Juan, Puerto Rico: An affordable vacation spot, with a lot of activities for both the adventurous and not so adventurous. Beautiful beaches too! We recently went there and stayed at Courtyard Marriott. They had their own private beach and a swim up bar at the pool (right by the beach). San Juan has a number of forts, the old city, kayaking (Bio Luminous Bay), and surfing as well. 

2. Aruba: You can get great all inclusive deals at Aruba. The beaches are absolutely gorgeous. Very relaxing! We stayed at The Occidental.

3. Bahamas: Haven't been there, but I hear they have great all inclusive deals too!

4. Jamaica

5. Hawaii: Plane tickets are expensive, but hotels are reasonable. May be you can get a good package on expedia or travelocity.

Hope this helps!
    ~ Neha Goyal
    Marigold Events
  • SonaliPopSonaliPop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi, cupcake :) If you WANT to go to London, you know who to ask for help :)

Other than that, I'd check out the Omni hotels in Mexico. I have been to Mexico three times and it was amazing. I've also been to the Caymans, Jamaica, all over the Bahamas...let me know if you need any suggestions.

I'd say take a cruise - I love them and have a blast on them.

Or, an all-inclusive works great. Eat, drink, play, and relax.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards