New York
Options

String Quartet Recommendations?

Hi Ladies!

Sorry that it has been a while since I last posted. As a quick re-introduction, my name is Jaclyn and I'll be getting married in September this year (omg, the time is flying!! That's less than 8 months! Eek!) We're having an outdoor ceremony and trying to figure out the best option for music. We have our dj lined up for the reception and they can do the music for the ceremony but I'm a little concerned it would look/be cheesy. We happened to be at our venue (which is Belhurst Castle) while there was a wedding going on and the dj just looked out of place and was having trouble playing the music. Now, I don't know if that's because of that particular dj (I have no idea who they had) or if it is because of where they are asked to set up, etc. Anyhow, because of that we've been considering a string quartet for the ceremony and cocktail hour but we're surprised by the cost for just two hours. Some are priced $900 - $1000; is that normal? Can anyone recommend a string quartet that has reasonable prices? Or, if you are a newly married Belhurst bride and used a dj, I'd love to hear about your experiences and what you used during your ceremony. Thanks for your help!!!  :) 

Re: String Quartet Recommendations?

• Options
    We hired Angelicus String Quartet for our outdoor ceremony at Ventosa. They're based in Rochester, but travel to Geneva for a small charge. I can't speak to how much it would be for 2 hours because we're just using them for our half hour ceremony. The DJ will take over for cocktail hour.
  • Options
    It looks like they are already booked for our day.  :(  You gave me a great idea though! Why didn't I think to have them just play the ceremony and then have the dj take over for the cocktail hour? Maybe I'll start looking into that. Thanks!! 

• Options
    I had a string duo in Ithaca and it cost me $550, I think for them to play at the ceremony plus have a 30 min rehearsal with a singer and to have 1 musician come to the regular wedding rehearsal.   I thought it was a little pricey, but the music was beautiful.

We also had our DJ do the cocktail hour.  Most give you 5 hours in their packages anyways.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    The general rule for a musical ensemble is $100 per hour per musician. I think that if you find a DJ that has experience working outdoors you should be fine.
    Photobucket BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Yeah, that makes sense with the pricing now that you put it that way. We might be better off with the dj at this point. It all adds up so quickly! I saw one bride used the Eastman School of Music but I'm assuming the price would probably be similar. 
  • Options
    Have tried any of the local colleges with a music program? You could probably hire a few music major students on the cheap for allowing them to have a "professional experience" of playing a wedding. 

I just saw that you're getting married at the Belhurst. Check over at HWS Colleges. You might be able to get some pretty good student muscians. 
                                                                                  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_central-new-york_string-quartet-recommendations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:621Discussion:e091c825-4787-4639-82b2-e165bc7ac9b6Post:994b998a-e754-4b83-a8fd-e5bad6143f9c">Re: String Quartet Recommendations?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Have tried any of the local colleges with a music program? You could probably hire a few music major students on the cheap for allowing them to have a "professional experience" of playing a wedding.  I just saw that you're getting married at the Belhurst. Check over at HWS Colleges. You might be able to get some pretty good student muscians. 
    Posted by cnf2013[/QUOTE]

FLCC also has a music program, and it's really good. I'm sure they have students that would do a great job for a fraction of the cost.
    Photobucket BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards