Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions
Options

Anyone using a Harpist?

Curious to hear what people think about using a harpist? I'm having an outdoors ceremony & would love to use one - but I've never actually heard one at a wedding.

Does anyone have thoughts or advice?

Thanks!!

Re: Anyone using a Harpist?

• Options
    GeauxTigers17GeauxTigers17 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it would be absolutely lovely, but I would be careful since harps are very sensitive to heat/cold/humidity (I'm a singer who often works with symphonies, just for background on why I know this) and if you have even iffy weather, the harpist may not be able to play. 

So yes, I think you should consider it if you can find someone willing to play, but have a contingency plan so you won't be music-less if weather doesn't cooperate!
  • Options
    naomikbnaomikb member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

I considered using one (changed my mind, going with violin instead) but in my research I found an option of an electric harp instead of an acoustic harp.  It seemed like a really good option, most robust, good for larger venues, and good for outside, and "better" sound depending who you talk to.  Something to consider if you are intent on the outdoor ceremony, it seemed like the electric harps were becoming a lot more common.

The harpists I talked to had huge repertoires as well - all the common classical stuff as well as more modern tunes, so can just play to fill time, or will take special requests if you have certain things you want to have them play you can give them a list in advance.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you all for the advice - you all brought up points that I need to look into.

I didn't even realize I had to ask what type of hard they play ...I guess I have some more research to do.

Is there a big difference in sound between an acoustic vs electric harp?  Or between a celtic vs symphony size harp?

Thanks again!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards