Wedding Etiquette Forum

My last dog lovers update..

If you haven't read my PP's here's a little back story before I start..

Found a stray dog no collar that's extremely underweight for a Labrador Retriever-Took him home, bought him weight builder food, water, a bath, and a cozy new bed with lots of love. Even though we fell completely in love with the dog and wished to keep him, we didn't know the owners' story.. so we searched up and down our community, online, vets, shelters, etc. for a missing report on him- we had no luck from Tuesday night through Wed. night, which is when we got him scanned for a microchip. We found a valid microchip and the Vet tracked the owner down and released my information (name & phone #) The owner called me and stated he'd only been missing for 1 day and a half. I was very worried about this since he was obviously that thin when he lived at home.

Before I called the owner, I covered my grounds by calling local humane society telling them I'm concerned about the welfare of the dog. Basically, the shelter couldn't do anything for me unless he was back at home and someone called in neglect on the owner. So I called the county dog warden, I never reached him. After talking to another shelter, I was told that I cannot legally keep the dog without the owner's concent. It was obvious that the owner wanted him back. I did not want to face being possibly sued or up to a $5k fine for "stealing her dog".

I was concerned that maybe he IS taken care of, but he's just sick, with internal parisites or something, and I'm jumping to conclusions by thinking the owner is neglecting him.. so I also called the vet where the dog goes, and I found out that he doesn't have an underlying health condition that would cause him to be so thin. But I forewarned them that he needs to be seen for healtcare ASAP so they promised they'd require her to bring him in immediately for a health evaluation.

so I finally brought myself to call the owner and I had a LOT of questions about the welfare of her dog. Why is he skinny? Why is his skin so beat red flaky with sores on his chest? Why that when we fed/watered him, he ate and drank like he never ate in his life? These were just questions from a concerned animal lover. There are a lot of crazy mean people out there. She FLIPPED out saying he's not skinny at ALL, he's very healthy, etc. It was clear that she was in denail. Not once did she thank me for keeping him safe, giving him a bath, buying him food, etc.  She also admitted to me that she did not call ANYONE to report him missing. She just drove around the neighborhood looking for him.

I was at work through the whole thing, so I could not drop everything to take the dog to her. MAYBE if she was a little more sympathetic, and thankful that I kept her dog safe, and located her, MAYBE I would have left work right away. But since she didn't  say Thank You once, I told her I would get him to her after 6pm.

So she CALLED THE POLICE ON ME. Left me two threatening voicemails because I would not give her my address to come get him (we were at work anyway). I didn't want the crazy woman knowing where I live, because WHO KNOWS.. maybe the next time he goes missing, she'd show up at my door accusing me of stealing him.

Regardless, the police understood the situation, and I appologized for the inconvenience..police officers do not have time for things like this. I left work, and with FI, we drove the dog out to her house and she was coward enough to not even be there. She forced her son to meet us at her house. I called the Humane Society and opened a case to cover my butt in case she tries to pin his poor health on me.

I've been an emotional basket case for the last 12 or so hours because we were so attatched to this dog, and he deserves a more caring owner. I'm so upset because I got a big reality check that when you try to do something good for someone, all you get is crapped on.

Re: My last dog lovers update..

• Wow. I hope the vet can get the dog in and address the poor things issues.
  • Awwww poor pup and poor you.  I'm sorry that it's ended up this way.  Hopefully the vet steps in and make sure this pup gets healthy.
  • I'm so sorry :-(  I was really hoping for a better outcome.
  • I am so sorry! What an awful woman, I hope that the Vet will make sure the dog gets the care it needs.
  • I'm sorry you went through all of this and that it ended in such not-so-good terms. I hope she takes the dog in and gets it checked out. Ultimately, the dog's welfare and well-being are of the uptmost importance.

All that said, I'm a bit concerned by this statement: so I also called the vet where the dog goes, and I found out that he doesn't have an underlying health condition that would cause him to be so thin.

Any veterinary office with an OUNCE of ethical practice will not release information (over the phone, especially) to someone who does not own the dog and has not been authorized by the owner to recieve records. How did you find out who the veterinarian was? How did you go about contacting them (what did you say when you called that would make them think it's okay to release someone else's information to you)?

I guess I just have a really, really hard time believing that a veterinary office would just release info to a stranger on the phone claiming to have a neglected dog from one of their clients.
  • edited June 2012
    <div align="left">In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_my-last-dog-lovers-update?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:c6159034-68c0-40f5-8cd9-b7356e6a27bePost:f6c2c279-5582-44da-b121-2674b45e618a">Re: My last dog lovers update..</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm sorry you went through all of this and that it ended in such not-so-good terms. I hope she takes the dog in and gets it checked out. Ultimately, the dog's welfare and well-being are of the uptmost importance. <strong>All that said, I'm a bit concerned by this statement: so I also called the vet where the dog goes, and I found out that he doesn't have an underlying health condition that would cause him to be so thin. Any veterinary office with an OUNCE of ethical practice will not release information (over the phone, especially) to someone who does not own the dog and has not been authorized by the owner to recieve records.</strong> How did you find out who the veterinarian was? How did you go about contacting them (what did you say when you called that would make them think it's okay to release someone else's information to you)? I guess I just have a really, really hard time believing that a veterinary office would just release info to a stranger on the phone claiming to have a neglected dog from one of their clients.
    Posted by KellyBrian2013[/QUOTE]

I used to work for this vet when I was in HighSchool, and I spoke to his wife about it (the practice is out of their home) and I explained the situation and concerns I had. The only thing I asked and the only thing they really released to me was if he had a condition to make him that malnourished looking/underweight so I had reasonable cause to either worry about him being neglected or not.</div>
  • I've been watching this whole thing unfold. Oh my goodness, SOOO sorry it didn't end better. 

You did all the right things and tried your best. Hopefully, the owner will get busted for neglect and the pup will be OK. 

I can't believe she called the police on you. So she's a bad pet parent and also just plum crazy. Yikes. 
  • I am stunned (well, I guess since the dog is neglected, not really that stunned) that the owner didn't call anyone to report him missing. Sasha went missing once for an hour and I had already called animal control, both shelters, and gone to the dog park with a picture to see if anyone had seen her. If my dog had been missing for a day or two I'd be in hysterics. 
  • Like aryn, I am super judging that lady not only for her attitude but the fact that she didnt really try to get him back. I would be in hysterics after about 10 min if I couldn't find willow or Tory. And I would be calling in the air marshall to freakin find my dog. Lol. I am so sorry for you and that little lab! You did everything you could do though, which I commend you for.
  • edited June 2012
    Thanks girls. If I haven't mentioned in my previous threads, we have a 5 y.o Yellow Labrador and she is our baby. FI got her for me as a birthday present as a puppy, and she recently took off for 1 hour, and I immedately called local shelters, the local vet, and the county dog warden, also. I wish every pet owner was that much in love with their animals.
  • I am SOOO sorry !   I was hoping she would just say that she didn't want to dog back.   Huge kudos to you for taking that sweetheart in and giving him a good life for a few days.   
  • Yikes. This story makes me sad. I hope the dog is okay. :-(
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_my-last-dog-lovers-update?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:c6159034-68c0-40f5-8cd9-b7356e6a27bePost:156a7267-a5d6-4df5-af79-fa3f8f94f24e">Re:My last dog lovers update..</a>:
    [QUOTE]Like aryn, I am super judging that lady not only for her attitude but the fact that she didnt really try to get him back. <strong>I would be in hysterics after about 10 min</strong> if I couldn't find willow or Tory. And I would be calling in the air marshall to freakin find my dog. Lol. I am so sorry for you and that little lab! You did everything you could do though, which I commend you for.
    Posted by musicalsunlight[/QUOTE]
    This.
    The day we moved I let Copper go explore the backyard, after about 5 minutes I didn't see him or hear him jingling. I flipped.
    He was around the corner (Still in yard). But he didn't leave my sight for a while after that.

I'm sorry that lady is crazy. She sounds like a real piece of work. Hopefully the Humane society will do some investigating and get the pup out of there.
  • I am so sorry to hear about this. As I wrote on your original post I am familiar with this. Except the pup I saved was in ridiculous bad shape and the owner was a crack head - no really he had possession charges along with animal neglect charges. So I continued with the civil suit. Anyway, if it is of real concern to you, you can always call an animal protection agency and have them do a 'look-see'. If there is a real issue it will be addressed. If there is not, it will at least put your mind at ease. I hope everything works for the best adn remember you can save puppies at the shelter - they need love too!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards