Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

beauty school vs salon

So I'm going to get my hair cut styled and dyed before the wedding which is in about 3 and a half weeks. My friend keeps trying to convince me to go to the beauty school it will cost a total of $28 if I go there,  if I go to a salon it will be $55.  But I am nervous going to about school right before the wedding if anything was to go wrong especially with the color.   Should i just pay the extra and go to a salon? what would you do?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: beauty school vs salon

• I think it depends on the school. I used to go to a Carsten school all the time, and my hair always came out perfectly. I'd go in and see how closely the instructors work with the students or ask if you can have your student have a little extra supervision on that day. I've never had a bad experience at a beauty school, but I've also always been choosy about which ones I go to. Also, I think you have to be a little realistic with your own expectations. Of course everyone wants to look great on their wedding, but is it going to be a disaster to you if it isn't completely spot on? 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Go to the salon.  I used Aveda schools for years and let them do everything but eyebrows because a mistake there cannot be fixed; it just has to grow back. The schools are hit and miss because you never know which student you will get.  I had some great ones and some that I had to go to a salon to fix their mistakes.  It's not worth that kind of stress three weeks out.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • I went to an Aveda school to get my cos license, and I highly recommend going there. HOWEVER, with it being so close to your wedding and you seeming unsure, I'd say it's probably worth the extra money to go to the salon.
    I can say that, at an Aveda institute, if you are unhappy with your hair, they will do what they need to do to fix it.  I would also lay it on very heavily to the instructor who comes over to do your check in, that you're getting married in TWO (fib a bit, just to give yourself some room to breathe) weeks and let him/her know you're a little nervous.  If the instructor is any good, (have yet to meet one who isnt) they will keep a very watchful eye on the student or even help the student if they feel that the student isn't fully capable of giving you exactly what you want.
    Again, speak up, be very clear with what you want, at the school or the salon. And if you aren't happy, trust me, a stylist would rather work longer and harder to give you what you want, than have you be unhappy with your hair...impending wedding or otherwise. GOOD LUCK!!!
    my_wedding_original Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • i recommend going to a school, they are closely watched and best practice is always at top priority so you wont ever get some stylist looking for the quick way to do your hair.
  • I would definitely not try the beauty school for your wedding.  It's too much of a risk, imo.

I've seen my sister try it several times.  There is a reason that they charge less.  You have no guarentee that you will have results that are any good, or results that are fixable.  On one occassion she left the school fuming mad because her hair was bright orange.  On another occasion, her nails looked like they wen't through the mangler. 

Weddings arn't the time to take risks that will increase your stress.  If there's one time to take the safe route with your beauty, it's now.  Or at least that's my view.  I'm already so worried about everything that I can barely see straight.  If I had to leave my fate in the hands of a student stylist too.... I'd probably have a panic attack in the chair.  Nothing against students, but they are by nature, not experts.

Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• as pp has stated it depends on the school there are really good schools that strive in updos and others that just get the students through school. My school was amazing! We had many wedding parties come in and the teacher always gave us a little more help than usual. They understand how important the day is to the bride. with that being said, remember the students are just that - students. Some have a natural ability to do perfect, out of this world updo's and others can't even do a french twist or a simple braid. If you do go to a school please be calm and collected they are still learning.
  • i only have experience from going to the school near me.  my color came out excellent.  but i asked for a choppy layered haircut and thick side bangs, and she did everything opposite of what i wanted.  i nearly cried when i left.  that was in feb and i have had to let it grow all this time so i can get it cut to hopefully something i love.  i am going to my salon tomorrow, where i have always had a great experience.  i only went to the school because i was on a very strict budget (cant beat $30 for a cut and color....unless they screw it up)
  • i only have experience from going to the school near me.  my color came out excellent.  but i asked for a choppy layered haircut and thick side bangs, and she did everything opposite of what i wanted.  i nearly cried when i left.  that was in feb and i have had to let it grow all this time so i can get it cut to hopefully something i love.  i am going to my salon tomorrow, where i have always had a great experience.  i only went to the school because i was on a very strict budget (cant beat $30 for a cut and color....unless they screw it up)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards