Wedding Reception Forum

Clinking glasses???

Hi everyone,

I've been trying to think of a different or creative way for our guests to get us to kiss at the wedding reception rather than the normal clinking of the glasses?

Anyone have anything they can recommend?

Thanks in advance!! :)

Re: Clinking glasses???

• If you want to kiss your husband, kiss him.  Games and singing are obnoxious.  After 30 minutes, you will find that the clinking glasses are bad enough.  Coming up with some other game will ruin the party.
  • 1) Having guests come up to the front to show off their hoola hooping skills
    2) A mini-golf putting green where the guest has to sink a putt to get the couple to kiss
    That's all I can think of at the moment.  Hope it helps! 
    Fr: Fellow Bride-to-be!
  • jesslynn1012jesslynn1012 member
    First Comment
    edited June 2012
    I went to a wedding that had little bells on the table that guests rang when they wanted the bride and groom to kiss... I thought it was a tradition from her family, but when I just googled it I think it's pretty common.  This is what I found when I googled it:
    http://www.americanbridal.com/minsilbel.html
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_clinking-glasses-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:8aa36b14-dc92-4457-be7e-7b02d94062bbPost:e31836b0-390c-4b0f-9dd1-098b2d9652af">Clinking glasses???</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi everyone, I've been trying to think of a different or creative way for our guests to get us to kiss at the wedding reception rather than the normal clinking of the glasses? Anyone have anything they can recommend? Thanks in advance!! :)
    Posted by angiezimm[/QUOTE]

<div>I always find this one fun the first few times and then the bride and groom get seemingly annoyed. The curse of sit down dinners! People get bored watching others get their food first! lol.</div><div>
    </div><div>The bells at the tables seem like a good idea, and less dangerous than hitting glass!</div>
  • I have never been to a wedding where any of the guests clinked their glasses.  I guess myself and the other guests were to busy chatting away with the other people at our table and eating our food to really care whether or not the bride and groom kissed for us.

Just kiss your new husband when you want to and if a few clinks happen then do a little peck and move on.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_clinking-glasses-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:8aa36b14-dc92-4457-be7e-7b02d94062bbPost:e31836b0-390c-4b0f-9dd1-098b2d9652af">Clinking glasses???</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi everyone, I've been trying to think of a different or creative way for our guests to get us to kiss at the wedding reception rather than the normal clinking of the glasses? Anyone have anything they can recommend? Thanks in advance!! :)
    Posted by angiezimm[/QUOTE]

Trust me it will get annoying really fast,  don't encourage it because it will happen on it's own.  Thank goodness it only happened twice at our wedding so we did kiss.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Well I was thinking the same thing. I am tired of the same old clinking glasses so I came up with something else. I will allow the glass clinking for perhaps an hour if that then they have t get up on the dance floor and do their best twist or their best randition of the tootsie roll. I love to laugh and make peple laugh and we have made our wedding into a fun an eventful evening full of surprises. Good luck on your planning
  • Ugh.  I really hate this "tradition".  Kiss your husband, or don't, when you do or don't feel like it.  You aren't show ponies.
  • im dreading this part too.  Like, to the point of kissing once when it happens the first time, and then flat out refusing for the rest.
  • Ditto PPs, I absolutely HATE the glass clinking tradition.  Unfortunately, there was no way to make sure no one did it, but after the first few times, we just ignored it.  My aunt came up to our table (we had a sweetheart table) and asked why we weren't kissing.  I told her because I was eating the dinner that I paid several thousand dollars for so she could clink all she wanted, but I wasn't going to be her damn trained monkey.  She stopped after that.

So yeah, I wouldn't suggest doing anything special to encourage it.  It's fun when you're a guest, but annoying as shiiit when you're the B&G.
    Anniversary
  • SKPMSKPM member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    In Response to Re:Clinking glasses???:[QUOTE]Ugh.nbsp; I really hate this quot;traditionquot;.nbsp; Kiss your husband, or don't, when you do or don't feel like it.nbsp; You aren't show ponies. Posted by cmgilpin[/QUOTE] This exactly. Can't you train dogs with whistles and bells? No thanks. I'm planning not to oblige the glass clinking even once. Hopefully.

photo fancy-as-fuck.jpg
  • I really don't think that you should be telling your guests how to ask you to kiss... it seems rude... let them do what they want.

May 2013 February Siggy: Invitations

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• At a recent wedding I went to, the bride and groom kissed during the first 'clinking of the glasses'.  After that, anytime the guest clinked their glasses, the DJ had a list (provided by the B&G) of couples that had to stand up and kiss.

It was actually really cute!
  • I went to a wedding once where in order to have the bride and groom kiss, you had to go up to the microphone and sing a song that had the word "love" in it.  Clever, but only a few people actually did it.  I'd imagine if you had the right crowd, it'd be cooler.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards