Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

...Necessary to have a "sign in" book & Programs?

...16 days ultil my marriage and wedding reception...lots of little things left to do, I'm thinking about what I just don't plain need, given that its crunch time.

I've seen these, and I'm probably calling it the wrong name, but do I really need a "Guest Book"? for people to sign their well wishes. I would have loved to have made one, but between everything going on, that's not happening.

Plus I'm forgoing programs. Again wanted to make something really unique and special, just no time left for that. Plus I'm leaning  towards the thought that's it a waste of money and trees. Additionally I've been to MANY funerals, and they have guest books there obviously, so it sort of reminds me of that I suppose.

Will people be expecting these things? Will they think me an idiot for not having these things?

Everyone has been so nice on the Knot with their advice in the past. Any input would be appreciated.  Smile

Re: ...Necessary to have a "sign in" book & Programs?

• Options
    I dont plan on using programs, again a waste of trees and money, also, people tend to leave them laying around just causing more to pick up.

As far as a guest book, no worries there either. Like PP you were the only one planning on those things. No one is going to think that you forgot to put it out or forgot the programs. Plus i think the guest book is a waste of space whey would you want to hang on to a book that people wrote in on your day, we would rather display those thoughts and wishes hence why i chose the picture frame idea!! :)

Early congrats for your day!! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Flowers
    image 160 Invited
    image 2 are ready to party with there boots on! image 0 have better things to do image158 are trying to find there boots
    RSVP Date: July 25th
  • Options

Neither are necessary... if you don't want to have them no worries.

• Options
    I agree if you don't want them don't worry about it. An alternative to a Guest Book that was at the last wedding I went to were advice cards. They cut different colored (or your own wedding colors) pieces of paper and had the guest write any advice for the bride and groom. It was my best friends wedding and it was REALLY funny and heartwarming to read what people wrote!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Guestbooks aren't necessary. They're not mentioned in any of my older etiquette books.

Programs are only necessary if you have a complicated ceremony involving guest participation.
  • Options
    I'll probably pass on programs.

I saw another guest book alternative the other day that I'm planning on doing. Buy 5 bottles of wine, 1 for each anniversary--1st, 5th, 10th, 15th, 20th.  Have your guests sign those. Drink them on your anniversary!
    June 16, 2012
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_necessary-sign-book-programs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:ef826d9c-7152-4b0e-b6e6-cdd4a544aab2Post:9f9530fd-4e4e-4441-ac4c-95f6a0bb2cee">Re:...Necessary to have a "sign in" book & Programs?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'll probably pass on programs. I saw another guest book alternative the other day that I'm planning on doing. Buy 5 bottles of wine, 1 for each anniversary--1st, 5th, 10th, 15th, 20th.  Have your guests sign those. Drink them on your anniversary!
    Posted by acaponi87[/QUOTE]

I love that idea! So different and really sweet.
  • Options
    ....thank you all feel much better now. LOVE the wind bottle idea!  , though vodka might be more appropriate for us. Smile
  • Options
    I wanted to skip programs, but our Lutheran ceremony involves lots of "call and response" from the congregation so our officiant insisted. 

Instead of a guest book, we are doing 2 autograph frames we can hang up in our home afterward. I got them at Oriental Trading, but you can get them for like $10-20 at a craft store or maybe even WalMart. 
    April Siggy Challenge-Wedding Escape: Reading HG/dreaming about Peeta.... Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Bio-Updated 4/22**
  • Options
    I was initially going to skip programs until one of my bridesmaids offered to make them for me.  The DIY route cost way less than getting them professionally made.  But if you're only two weeks from your wedding, then I really wouldn't bother.

At first we had bought a traditional guestbook, but once we realized that only about 50 guests were coming, the guestbook (with room for 1000 names!) seemed wasteful.  So we returned it and bought a little book that has cards guests write a "wedding wish" on that you put in the book.  It was more personal than guests just scribbling their names in a giant book.
    PitaPata Cat tickers Anniversary
  • Options

Neither is necessary. We aren't doing programs. They are a huge waste of money, If we had a bunch of people in our WP that no one knew, it might be different, but we're all close.

We are doing a guest book, because I still love reading the one from my mom and step-dad's wedding. I like that you can stick it in a hope chest for a few years and then reread it. Some of the stuff will make you laugh.

Wedding Countdown Ticker pregnancy calendar baby development
  • Options
    Nope, you don't need programs or a guest book. 

We are doing a guest book but it will be different than a typical one. It will still include pages for guest's to sign their names, but also different pages where guest's can write ideas for date night, where they see FI and I in 5 years, favorite memories of FI and/or I, and other similar pages for guests to write things other than their names. The book also includes several pictures of FI and I through the years.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I haven't been to many weddings that actually had programs, so we skipped them too.

We did have a guest book, but I made one on Mixbook as a yearbook style that was more of a way for us to get some use out of our engagement pictures than anything.  I doubt we'll look at if often, but my mom enjoyed looking through hers with us when we were little, especially seeing people who were no longer living, so I figured it wasn't that big of a hassle for us to do one as well.  If we look through it, awesome.  If we don't, it was only like $15 to have it printed.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I'm not having a traditional "guest book".  My grandmother is making a small quilt that our guests will sign.  It was one of the first things I figured out that I wanted.  She was thrillled when I asked her if she'd be willing to make it.  When it's finished we'll be able to hang it up and have a constant reminder of who was there to share our day with us.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options

Just buy a cute and cheap guestbook so you can capture everyone who was there to celebrate your big day. It will help when writing thank-you's, and you'll look back 50 yrs from now and remember everyone who was there.

• Options
    While not necessary we are having programs because we are having a traditional Catholic ceremony and quite a few guests are not Catholic. We are having a guest book but we dont care about that so much.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I saw one idea that you put out a bunch of different post cards for the guests to write whatever they want to you.  Then you give the postcards to someone (like your mother, sister, friend etc) and ask them to send a few every month for the first year of your marriage.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_necessary-sign-book-programs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:ef826d9c-7152-4b0e-b6e6-cdd4a544aab2Post:9d692f28-9458-494a-a3f1-5a9a7f1db9cf">Re: ...Necessary to have a "sign in" book & Programs?</a>:
    [QUOTE]While not necessary we are having programs because we are having a traditional Catholic ceremony and quite a few guests are not Catholic. We are having a guest book but we dont care about that so much.
    Posted by lopezalonso[/QUOTE]

Wasn't going to do programs.  But your post reminded me that the wording has changed and we will probably need to. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards