Students
Options

Intro and Question :)

Hey Ladies!

My name is Ashley; I'm a junior in college working on my BA in Classics (Latin and Greek), and I'm engaged to the most wonderful man who is also a junior, majoring in History.

We're planning a wedding for July 2011 (the summer after we graduate) before we both go to graduate school-- eek! We're crazy, but we're willing to do just about anything to make it work. :)

Now my question: My FI had planned on spending the holidays here with me and my family, and we had made some really great plans. Now, it turns out he's going to Seattle with his parents to visit his older brother, who just got promoted by the Navy and will be shipping out in March. I TOTALLY want him to go and spend some time with his brother before he ships out; however, I'm trying to figure out how to make this holiday season special for us since we'll be apart. We had planned on both Christmas and New Year's together, but that isn't really an option now. Do you have any suggestions on things I could do to make this Christmas (our first while engaged) special?

Thanks so much!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Intro and Question :)

• Options
    Welome Ashley!  My second major was in classics (just Latin) :)

I think you could celebrate early - get a small tree and decorate it, maybe just one string of lights and a package of ornaments.  You can play Christmas music, watch your favorite Christmas movie, and exchange gifts.  Maybe throw in some hot cocoa, or fix him a special meal. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I agree with Laura! FI and I are spending Christmas with my parents, but with the travel and the hectic-ness of it all, we have a "private Christmas" the Saturday before Christmas when my exams are done. We cook good food all day, watch Christmas movies, make mulled wine, and open our presents to each other.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    You could always do a private christmas and just so he still has something to open from you on christmas day I would make him a Cd or something and give it to his parents before he leaves so that they can be sure that he gets it rather than you putting it in his suitcase and hoping he finds it.
  • Options
    i think too - you could always celebrate after.  christmas and new years are wonderful - but celebrating them pre/post the actual date is fun too!!!

good luck - its hard to be away for sure!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for all the replies! We'll probably take your advice and have our Christmas a little early. :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards