Military Brides

Whiny Wednesday

My head hurts like there's a little man in there with a sledgehammer... my boss is driving me up a freaking wall... and I've got a mouse problem at home.

So I'm avoiding work, but the board is rather quiet so I'm finding myself bored.

How's everyone else doing? 

Anniversary

Re: Whiny Wednesday

• calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Also, one of my high school classmates got engaged recently.  And she's broken every Facebook rule regarding wedding planning that I hold sacred - she posted a picture of her ring as her profile picture (I didn't post a ring picture at first, only when I posted our engagement photos, and I didn't tag it of me - it's just in the album.  And the ring is not your face and thus shouldn't be your profile picture, IMO).  She announced her budget and complained about it on Facebook.  She passive-aggressively complained about people volunteering to be bridesmaids (which got several nasty remarks along the lines of, "Well you could have just said no, no need to be snotty", so I'm guessing those people were her Facebook friends!).  And now today she posts: "Attention: All family and close friends please email me with your address if you plan on attending my wedding in the Spring. I am only looking at about up to 150 people, possibly even 100 so just family and close friends only. Thank you."

Gah... head... hurts... more...

Anniversary

• Elle1036Elle1036 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I'm currently fighting with both my mom and one of my best friends and it's really wearing me down.  I'm bummed and exhausted but I can't sleep and I think I've gained like 3 pounds from the comfort food I've been seeking out over the past few days.  I'm avoiding the scale.

That vent helped, though.
  • edited December 2011
    My upper/mid back is extremely sore.  I'm assuming it is from my run last night or I slept wrong.  I must have been running funky.  As much as I don't want to go tonight, I if the weather holds out, I am going to force myself too. Blah.
    Photobucket
  • LetsHikeTodayLetsHikeToday member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

Cal- Ugh about her posting about 150-100 people. That's so lame. Also, I would never tell someone i wanted to be invited somewhere. I'd wait for an invitation. That's acting like a 5th grader!

I don' thave a problem with the facebook photo though. I don't always have me as my photo. My picture was Geno for the longest time. It made me smile to see his face everytime I signed in. :-)

My whine? I'm so sick of the rain. It's depressing....

imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011

My whine for the day? I need wine. *See what I did there? :)*

Cal, did you get the whole recording thing figured out? Hope so

Oh, my hair is being way lame today. That's my only real whine so far. Happy Wednesday ladies!

• calindicalindi member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_whiny-wednesday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:8f172714-bea9-4189-970f-d27f9179df82Post:8622ebb8-f4e4-412e-8753-aa612799fb47">Re: Whiny Wednesday</a>:
    [QUOTE]Cal- Ugh about her posting about 150-100 people. That's so lame. Also, I would never tell someone i wanted to be invited somewhere. I'd wait for an invitation. That's acting like a 5th grader! I don' thave a problem with the facebook photo though. I don't always have me as my photo. My picture was Geno for the longest time. It made me smile to see his face everytime I signed in. :-) My whine? I'm so sick of the rain. It's depressing....
    Posted by LetsHikeToday[/QUOTE]

A dog I don't mind so much.  The one that really bugs me is the ring, since it seems kind of like a show-off thing to do. It's jewelry, it's not something you need to shove in someone's face.  The one that bothers me a little is someone putting a picture of their kid (without their own face in the photo) as their profile pic.  It just makes me think their whole identity is their child.

Anniversary

• calindicalindi member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_whiny-wednesday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:8f172714-bea9-4189-970f-d27f9179df82Post:0ff3faf7-f7e8-4698-b4b6-3041932df0c2">Re: Whiny Wednesday</a>:
    [QUOTE]My whine for the day? I need wine. *See what I did there? :)* Cal, did you get the whole recording thing figured out? Hope so Oh, my hair is being way lame today. That's my only real whine so far. Happy Wednesday ladies!
    Posted by CAB1217[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've got a system that seems to be working for now.

Anniversary

• edited December 2011
    I second the needing wine. :)
    My wine.. it needs to stay nice so I can ride today, and my dog needs to not chew up my rug!
    I hate when people air stuff on facebook about their wedding. When we first started doing things, I won't lie, I kind of did - I posted the ring picture, and annonced I had found my dress and a few other 'big accomplishments' but stopped quickly after. I felt like I was letting people have a part and I didn't want them to - But there is one girl on FB who is planning their vow renewal - and I mean elaborate - but she keeps calling it a wedding, it isn't. She posts every little thing they do with the wedding and what not. It's quite annoying.. and drives me crazy. She was talking about her bridal shower and bacholorette party coming up - I thought VR's don't merit bridal showers and parties and stuff like that. Ugh. It annoys me.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Beachy730Beachy730 member
    edited December 2011
    Ugh FB wedding people are the worst.  There are so many friends and people I went to high school with getting married, and some of them have drove me to hiding their status feeds because of all the wedding crap.  A couple months ago one of them had a status that said "only 578 days until the wedding," or whatever the number was in the 500s.  Really?  I think I did one post that was "holy crap only a month until the wedding," and still felt awkward about it.  
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • AmandaSC1988AmandaSC1988 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    My Field project class group...we met with our client again today... we basically got our asses handed to us. We weren't prepared and it just felt terribly awkward. I won't  go into terrible detail but..we are having scope creep in our project. 

My allergies are killing my right eye. I look like I have some problem and am crying all the time. 

My friends little sister, her Husband joined the Navy about a year ago. They are still in training and all that, but she put some insanely long Military Wife post on her Facebook about how hard it is to be a military spouse. It just struck a nerve with me because it was making it seem like the wife just spent their time waiting around the phone, crying, or generally being depressed.  Not to mention she has not experienced any of that because she lives with him. He is going to be in training for the next 2 years, stop acting like YOUR life has changed. Oh she also put that her job was a "Navy Wife" *hits head on desk*

Photobucket
  • calindicalindi member
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, I did the obligatory "change your status" - funny thing: FI changed it before I got home from work, as we wanted a few days (er, I wanted... he was impatient) to tell close family and friends before posting on Facebook that we were engaged.  Well, he jumped the gun and changed his, which automatically sent out the notice, "Calindi is no longer in a relationship with Trip".  My friends and family freaked out a bit, but luckily I had told most of the close ones and changed it over a few hours later!

The change of status got a bunch of messages.  And then I posted something a week later that was like, "What an awesome week!  Such and such happened, and I got engaged, and now I'm going to a Lady GaGa concert for freeeee!"  so it was kind of nestled into the post.

Other than that, I posted one that said, "One month, one week, and one day until I get to marry my best friend" and a bunch of my friends posted things like, "You're not marrying me!"  I've got silly friends.

I don't think I'll post anything else, to be honest.

Anniversary

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_whiny-wednesday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:8f172714-bea9-4189-970f-d27f9179df82Post:933eb2c1-6899-4699-a69b-da5a2ad2d7b3">Re: Whiny Wednesday</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ugh FB wedding people are the worst.  There are so many friends and people I went to high school with getting married, and some of them have drove me to hiding their status feeds because of all the wedding crap.  A couple months ago one of them had a status that said "only 578 days until the wedding," or whatever the number was in the 500s.  Really?  I think I did one post that was "holy crap only a month until the wedding," and still felt awkward about it.  
    Posted by dnbeach12[/QUOTE]

My cousin who just got married was the WORST on Facebook. She was talking crap about everyone on there when it came to her wedding. She would let us know EVERY TIME she had a melt down (which was often,) I finally had to call her out and tell her to keep it to herself or no one will want to come to the wedding lol.

EDIT: Oh! She also announced her engagement on FB before telling any family members! I called her out on that, too!
  • divinemsbeedivinemsbee member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The weather here was really nice for about a week, cooler at night and in the morning and not really getting past 85 or so during the day. It was great, we could keep the little balcony door open at night and the air wasn't running constantly. The last 3 days or so have been back up in the 90s with tons of humidity. Argh. I knew it was too soon for us to enjoy our fall weather, but it still makes me whine.

Also, now the air is running all the time. Yesterday I had it set at 78, and it ran all day. Which leads me to believe that the last time the air wasn't running cool, and the maintanence men found a leak in the freon hose that they didn't fix the leak, they just filled it up again. That's happened twice before (once when I first came down here alone to bring boxes and again when I came back down here when FI got home) and it's been around the same amount of time between each incident, so I'm hoping it's just the heat and that we need some energy-saver curtains and I don't have to call the complex again.
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_whiny-wednesday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:8f172714-bea9-4189-970f-d27f9179df82Post:7ec511f9-52ba-4d6e-99ea-3b42aa90e8a1">Re: Whiny Wednesday</a>:
    [QUOTE]  My friends little sister, her Husband joined the Navy about a year ago. They are still in training and all that, but she put some insanely long Military Wife post on her Facebook about how hard it is to be a military spouse. It just struck a nerve with me because it was making it seem like the wife just spent their time waiting around the phone, crying, or generally being depressed.  Not to mention she has not experienced any of that because she lives with him. He is going to be in training for the next 2 years, stop acting like YOUR life has changed. <strong>Oh she also put that her job was a "Navy Wife" *hits head on desk*</strong>
    Posted by AmandaSC1988[/QUOTE]

This annoys me. I can't really explain why, because, being unemployed (but I have interviews tomorrow!), I'm basically a SAHW right now. But not on Facebook. And funnily enough, I don't have a huge problem with someone putting on there that they are a SAHW/M, it's when they add the whole "Military Wife" employed by the "Insert branch here" that gets to me.
  • edited December 2011
    I have literally posted nothing about the wedding on facebook.  Just that we got engaged.

However, I saw a girl post on facebook that she was pregnant.  Her brother commented "Wow.  Glad I got to find out facebook."  She responded with "I called you but you didn't call back."  I think I would somehow get a hold of my brother to tell him I'm pregnant before putting it on facebook.
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_whiny-wednesday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:8f172714-bea9-4189-970f-d27f9179df82Post:7ec511f9-52ba-4d6e-99ea-3b42aa90e8a1">Re: Whiny Wednesday</a>:
    [QUOTE]My Field project class group...we met with our client again today... we basically got our asses handed to us. We weren't prepared and it just felt terribly awkward. I won't  go into terrible detail but..we are having scope creep in our project.  My allergies are killing my right eye. I look like I have some problem and am crying all the time.  My friends little sister, her Husband joined the Navy about a year ago. They are still in training and all that, but she put some insanely long Military Wife post on her Facebook about how hard it is to be a military spouse. It just struck a nerve with me because it was making it seem like the wife just spent their time waiting around the phone, crying, or generally being depressed.  Not to mention she has not experienced any of that because she lives with him. He is going to be in training for the next 2 years, stop acting like YOUR life has changed. <strong>Oh she also put that her job was a "Navy Wife" *hits head on desk*
    </strong>Posted by AmandaSC1988[/QUOTE]

I saw that on a girl I was friends with on facebook and quicky de-friended.  That just makes me cringe. 

The wedding and FB thing really annoys me.  This girl I went to college is getting married Saturday.  The reason I know is because she has posted every detail about this event not because I am invited.  I mean every detail!  I mean you would think she is the first woman to ever get married.  I also hate that she is saying things like "In 10 days 4 hours and 22 min I am marring my best friend.  Be jealous girls becuase this perfect man is off the market!"  Every time I see her status I vomit a little in my mouth! Annoying!!!!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_whiny-wednesday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:8f172714-bea9-4189-970f-d27f9179df82Post:b6b62f73-df01-4fd0-9712-3db251f7fafa">Re: Whiny Wednesday</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have literally posted nothing about the wedding on facebook.  Just that we got engaged. However, I saw a girl post on facebook that she was pregnant.  Her brother commented <strong>"Wow.  Glad I got to find out facebook</strong>."  She responded with "I called you but you didn't call back."  I think I would somehow get a hold of my brother to tell him I'm pregnant before putting it on facebook.
    Posted by spiffycoolbeans[/QUOTE]

Umm, really, that's just so rude! I waited for 5 days before I annouced our engagement on FB, only because of the fact that we couldn't get a hold of everyone!
  • edited December 2011
    H just left and the tv isn't working. SIGH. The cable I should say.. I'm so annoyed. He knows how to fix it, but is currently flying so he can't tell me, and I really wanna watch this week's episode of Ringer!!!!! >_<
    :)
  • YoungDuoYoungDuo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I could really use some wine..so I second everyone else that has mentioned it :) Today is DRAGGING on and it's so annoying. This weekend needs to be here now!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 204 made the cut image 122 are ready to party image 65 are being lame
    image 17 can't find the mailbox
    RSVP Date: October 20
    edited December 2011
    So I have a talking point question for everyone....

I definitely will NEVER have Navy Wife on my facebook.... ever. ever. ever. Tons of reasons why, 1 being I won't define myself through my husband. BUT what do you think about "Stay at home mom or wife"?

I ask because I do think a stay at home anything is a hard job. It doesn't work for me. I would never be good at it!

Would you side eye SAHW or SAHM?
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_whiny-wednesday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:8f172714-bea9-4189-970f-d27f9179df82Post:f8d3439a-f850-49ad-8671-9ed737913e82">Re: Whiny Wednesday</a>:
    [QUOTE]So I have a talking point question for everyone.... I definitely will NEVER have Navy Wife on my facebook.... ever. ever. ever. Tons of reasons why, 1 being I won't define myself through my husband. BUT what do you think about "Stay at home mom or wife"? I ask because I do think a stay at home anything is a hard job. It doesn't work for me. I would never be good at it! Would you side eye SAHW or SAHM?

I don't want to downplay the importance or difficulty of being a SAHM, but yes, I would side-eye that if I saw it listed on somebody's Facebook profile, because it's not <em>employment</em>.  Facebook doesn't require you to have an employer listed, so just leave it blank if you're not working.  I wouldn't side-eye a mention about being a SAHM in somebody's "about me", though.

After losing my job last year, I put a <em>lot</em> of time and effort into finding work.  More time than I would have spent at a full-time job.  But I didn't put "Job Seeker and Unemployment Benefits Collector" in my work field on facebook. 
  • calindicalindi member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_whiny-wednesday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:8f172714-bea9-4189-970f-d27f9179df82Post:bde62986-5ba0-4608-ad0e-8ee486a1ea35">Re: Whiny Wednesday</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Whiny Wednesday : I don't want to downplay the importance or difficulty of being a SAHM, but yes, I would side-eye that if I saw it listed on somebody's Facebook profile, because it's not employment .  Facebook doesn't require you to have an employer listed, so just leave it blank if you're not working.  I wouldn't side-eye a mention about being a SAHM in somebody's "about me", though. After losing my job last year, I put a lot of time and effort into finding work.  More time than I would have spent at a full-time job.  But I didn't put "Job Seeker and Unemployment Benefits Collector" in my work field on facebook. 
    Posted by Elle1036[/QUOTE]

That's a good point.  I would have less of an issue with "SAHM" in a profile than "Navy Wife" because it refers to what that person does, not what their spouse does.  At least it's their own identity, even if it doesn't have a salary, rather than tying their identity on to someone else's job.

I didn't get unemployment while I was unemployed - 7 months later and the State of Florida still hasn't officially denied my claim, and they never accepted it, so I never got benefits and couldn't appeal.  Tricky evil people.

Anniversary

edited December 2011
    So I thought about my own opinion on my way home and I have to respectfully disagree with you Elle. :-) I believe stay at home mom is a job so I'd definitely not side eye it on job for Facebook. I might feel differently for stay at home wife but I totally believe SAHM is a job and therefore employment. IMO
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    For me, it depends on the person. For example, my FSIL; If she had that as her "job" on Facebook, I would totally side eye her, cause she doesn't clean or cook or do pretty much anything. She has a babysitter, and a cleaning lady. There is nothing wrong with having those things, but if you're at home doing NOTHING all day long, and you're just sitting there just watching someone clean your house and watch your kids, and then to top it off claim that HOUSEWIFE is your JOB?! Yeah... no.

But, on the other hand, if I knew that the housewife busted her butt everyday at home for her kids and husband, then, I would care less. :)
  • edited December 2011
    I kind of just feel like there's a difference between SAHM and SAHW.  I try not to side eye either, but like my BFF who's a SAHW and constantly b!tches about how it's not fair that her H doesn't help her clean or cook... umm.. He's at work all day, what are you doing besides pinning on pinterest & fighting with other wives on FB.  Get off your butt and get over it.  She complains about having to share a car.. basically she just acts like she's the only military wife in the world.  She's also constantly giving other SO's/FI/Wives TERRIBLE advice.. She just makes me want to scream.  FTR I HATE that <insert military branch>Wife "Toughest Job ever" crap.  It really just pisses me off every time I see it.
    Photobucket
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_whiny-wednesday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:8f172714-bea9-4189-970f-d27f9179df82Post:0f41ea13-850f-4231-8773-4f36620204c2">Re: Whiny Wednesday</a>:
    [QUOTE]I kind of just feel like there's a difference between SAHM and SAHW.  I try not to side eye either, but like my BFF who's a SAHW and constantly b!tches about how it's not fair that her H doesn't help her clean or cook... umm.. He's at work all day, what are you doing besides pinning on pinterest & fighting with other wives on FB.  Get off your butt and get over it.  She complains about having to share a car.. basically she just acts like she's the only military wife in the world.  She's also constantly giving other SO's/FI/Wives TERRIBLE advice.. She just makes me want to scream.  <strong>FTR I HATE that <insert military branch>Wife "Toughest Job ever" crap.  It really just pisses me off every time I see it.</strong>
    Posted by SamiJoeB[/QUOTE]

Ooooooh. So much hate for that. I have a girl on my Facebook right now who is the wife of one of FI's friends. She is insufferable about everything. Every single day her status updates read something like "Have to clean and cook and do yardwork. And anything else <husband /> needs done. It's so hard being a military wife."

I said it in my earlier post a bit, but right now I'm basically a SAH(almost)W while I look for a job. I probably wouldn't put it on Facebook, but I can see if a couple has had the conversation where staying at home while no longer seeking employment outside the home is considered to be the "job" of one partner, someone might. Right now, I'm just unemployed, but if we have kids or he makes more money and is able to support me pursuing other options besides paying employment (such as writing, or continuing school) and it's understood through conversations that I am going to stay home and not seek work, then I'm a SAH W/M.

I think the "military wife" as employment bothers me more because, like Hike said, it makes me defined by my husband's job rather than by what I do. If I stay home, that can stand alone because it's what I do by myself. Also, the "employed by" and then listing the husband's branch seems really disingenuous to me because I'm not employed by any branch of the US military, and unless you are paid by them, then you aren't either.
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_whiny-wednesday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:8f172714-bea9-4189-970f-d27f9179df82Post:b83efe2c-7c07-45c8-92fd-8c0bf5762a3d">Re: Whiny Wednesday</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Whiny Wednesday : That's a good point.  I would have less of an issue with "SAHM" in a profile than "Navy Wife" because it refers to what that person does, not what their spouse does.  At least it's their own identity, even if it doesn't have a salary, rather than tying their identity on to someone else's job. I didn't get unemployment while I was unemployed - 7 months later and the State of Florida still hasn't officially denied my claim, and they never accepted it, so I never got benefits and couldn't appeal.  Tricky evil people.
    Posted by calindi[/QUOTE]

7 months?  Sheesh.  Texas was on top of it.  I got paid just a couple weeks after losing my job.

[QUOTE]So I thought about my own opinion on my way home and I have to respectfully disagree with you Elle. :-) I believe stay at home mom is a job so I'd definitely not side eye it on job for Facebook. I might feel differently for stay at home wife but I totally believe SAHM is a job and therefore employment. IMO

Basically, I feel like if you wouldn't put it on a resume, it's not "employment."  I suppose "full-time mom" could be included on a resume if you were applying to a job at a daycare or something, but in general, I think something like that would get a lot of eyerolls.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_whiny-wednesday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:8f172714-bea9-4189-970f-d27f9179df82Post:58624b1c-ca57-4e2c-bf5a-6551cff2d808">Re: Whiny Wednesday</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Whiny Wednesday : Also, the "employed by" and then listing the husband's branch seems really disingenuous to me because I'm not employed by any branch of the US military, and unless you are paid by them, then you aren't either.
    Posted by divinemsbee[/QUOTE]

I've seen wives use this argument, like they get Tricare, and BAH and dependent pay. No. Your H gets those things, you just benefit from them.  Plus as a prior SM, I mean.. I went through basic. I was deployed. I was an ACTUAL SM.  These wives have never done any of that, yet they think they have the right to say that they are employed by whatever branch.  Uh.. No.  Your H went to boot, you didn't. Your H gets deployed, you don't.  Enlist, and then it can be your occupation too since you're so keen on it..  Ugh!! that really drives me NUTS.
    Photobucket
  • KendallR10KendallR10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I HATE people who post things about the wedding on FB. I don't even have a picture of my ring. I think I posted like a countdown for a week and then made an annoucement about changing our date. but thats it
    Military Brides December 2011 Siggy. Holiday picture with your SO. We suck and don't have one :/ Those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards