Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth

RD Drinks Etiquette

Quick question - at your RD, did you host all of the alcoholic beverages or did each individual person pay for their booze?

My parents have thrown 2 RDs for my older brothers in the past and told me it got VERY expensive when alcohol was included.  I think they said they paid for the food and non-alcoholic drinks but everyone else paid for their own alcohol... and that alone ran the bill to $1500 without the booze.  I don't want FIs parents to pay anything near that much.

So what have you all done in the past?
Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: RD Drinks Etiquette

• We aren't paying for alcohol. That could get pretty expensive.
  • fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited February 2012
    We didn't have alcohol at the RD. If people wanted alcohol, they had to pay for it. But I don't think anyone did, at least not that I can remember.
  • Whew, thank goodness!  Thank you, ladies!
  • We did, but ours was at a wine bar, so it was kind of the whole point of having our RD there.  They let us bring in our own beer and we bought a fixed number of bottles of wine.

FWIW, Amy, if you're still doing it at Jorg's, you MIGHT be able to make a deal with them to buy wine and beer from the little shop across the street (A Toast to Texas) and serve that.  Since it's a restaurant I don't know if they would go for that, but I know that Toast to Texas has sort of unspoken partnerships with lots of the restaurants down there.
    Anniversary

• edited February 2012
    I have a Special Snowflake situation. My ILs rented out a DIY venue and brought in the catering and alcohol. They got beer from Costco and rented a margarita machine and therefore it wasn't really that expensive. But they also had a band and invited our whole wedding guest list, sooooo it wasn't a typical RD anyway.

I kind of wish the drink tickets concept was more acceptable. (But then I've been to a wedding with them and wasn't bothered by it.) To me, just hosting 1 or 2 drinks pp at a RD would be more than generous, and I probably would only drink 1 anyway.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_rd-drinks-etiquette?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:be110236-7d36-4bf3-af73-09a89f865b83Post:7242cc7a-5a6f-4889-affb-a59bcaee90ec">Re: RD Drinks Etiquette</a>:
    [QUOTE]We did, but ours was at a wine bar, so it was kind of the whole point of having our RD there.  They let us bring in our own beer and we bought a fixed number of bottles of wine. <strong>FWIW, Amy, if you're still doing it at Jorg's, you MIGHT be able to make a deal with them to buy wine and beer from the little shop across the street (A Toast to Texas) and serve that.  Since it's a restaurant I don't know if they would go for that, but I know that Toast to Texas has sort of unspoken partnerships with lots of the restaurants down there.</strong>
    Posted by professorscience[/QUOTE]

Good to know!  I had no idea.  Yes, we are definitely still doing Jorg's... we were there yesterday.  One of the waiter's just graduated from TTU last year, so we chatted with him about.  I love this place more and more.
  • We apid for alcohol but we had a very small RD with only 9 people at it.  Our minimum for the venue (Dave and busters) was $500 and we would not have met it without alcohol.
  • We also paid for alcohol, and I've never been to one where it wasn't paid for. That said, I know how expensive it gets, and that a big consideration in our selection of RD venues.
  • I'm having the same dilemma.  I was wondering if it would be acceptable to tell the waitstaff we'll pay for the first two alcoholic drinks and after that they need to set up a tab.  I dunno, I don't want to be tacky but at the same time I know my people will want to drink and I'm not sure if we can afford all that!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We paid for alcohol (wine, beer, sangria and margaritas), but not premium drinks. My family is in the restaurant business so this was my mom's suggestion.

How to do this:
    Work with the restaurant on which drinks you will pay for (sodas, coffee, wine, beer)... but if a person ask for a premium cocktail, etc. the waiter simply ask the person if they would like to open a tab. This is great for people drinking shots or expensive liqueurs.

Another idea:
    Just do wine and beer + one specialty drink!

Those should help you keep cost down. Not sure how many people you are having?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards