Georgia-Savannah
Options

Georgia Marriage License Information

I just got married in Savannah a couple of weeks ago as a destination bride from Iowa, and now that I'm back home I'm having issues with my Georgia Marriage License.  No one here recognizes it as proof of name change because it doesn't state my new name on it. 

Does anyone know if there is another piece of documentation I need to request?  I remember putting my married name on the application we filled out, but we didn't receive a copy of that.

I'd appreciate any help, I'm excited to change my name and it's frustrating that I don't know what to do.

Thank you!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Georgia Marriage License Information

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Wow-  that is a little scary.  I do not have a solution, but appreciate the heads up.  I will ask around to my fellow GA brides.  I too am getting married out of state in GA soon and would hate to run into the same problem.

Good luck!

• Options
    bean0408bean0408 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

hum, I don't know of any of them anywhere that STATE your new name because not everyone takes the husbands name, it is not a forced thing changing names is optional.  The license just states that" your full name " and" his full name "were married. Have you tried the social security office first and then go with that to charge everything else?

• Options
    hccpsuhccpsu member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I took my license to the Social Security office and had no problem there, or at the BMV.  It's not required to change your name when you get married, and that's not done on a marriage license anyway, so I don't know why you're having problems.

At the BMV, though, even though I had a social security card, I had one employee insist they needed to see the marriage license, so I had to go back home and get it.  I got a different person then, who said all I needed was my SS card, and the other employee was incorrect, so I wonder if you're getting some people that aren't correct in what they're telling you.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards