Florida-West Coast

Did you use a wedding planner?

So here is my problem: I'm new to Tampa and am still learning the lay-of-the-land. My fiancee and I have decided that it would be easier (and more fun) to get married locally as opposed to going back to Pennsylvania, where we both grew up. The trouble is that our families, my bridesmaids, and our closest friends are all up north. This means that we have no extra help down here for planning (though my mom is going to fly in for a few key decisions in the next few months). We're looking at about 90-100 people at the wedding in about 8 months.

I'm debating whether or not to hire a planner to help us out. I'm nervous about not knowing the area very well and not having an MOH, MOB or close friend to bounce ideas off of. Has anyone done this? Was it worth the cost? Do you think you needed the help or could you plan on your own?

Re: Did you use a wedding planner?

• edited December 2011
    Hiring a planner will help with local vendors and help you find places thats for sure (and may save you some money with negotiations with vendors), but you have pleanty of time to do some exploring yourself! Thats also what these boards are for! We will give you suggestions for anything you may need and thier are tons of reviews from brides.

A friend of mine hired a planner for her wedding in October, and the planner has taken care of everything, and all she had to do was ok things in a few meetings. I enjoyed the hunt for locations and decorations, and the DIY projects.

If you have the extra money and want totally stress free planning, look into one. You may be able to just get a few suggestions on big things for free in a consultation.

I'm glad I didnt get one, its made the process alot of fun, and alot more personal. I did however get a DOC to alleviate stress for my family and I for the big day.

And remember! We are all in this boat together, and I'm pretty sure its safe to say that we can help you navigate the great area we live in!

GL!!
  • ufsweetiebearufsweetiebear member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have a planner for a similar reason. I'm from Tampa but currently live in Columbus, Ohio. It's hard to vet vendors when you're thousands of miles away. So I hired Staci of Unique Event Design to help me pick vendors, do the legwork and run the actual wedding day. She's worth her weight in gold and has saved me time, money, and stress!

I would highly recommend getting a planner, even if it's just for the wedding day. The girls on this board are super helpful as well and can always give recommendations!
  • Roltide75Roltide75 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    our venue had a DOC that has done all the vendor help... she doesn't leave the site, but will work with you as much as you ask, email or drive out

• edited December 2011
    I agree with the pp's.  They have been a great help...the eyes and ears of Florida for us gals!

I am planning from Rhode Island and while I have my MOH here to help, I felt I needed someone done there to make sure I was on track and to deal with everything on the big day.  We decided to use a DOC, she is very helpful via email with questions and suggestions and I feel less stressed knowing someone is there that has done this many more times than I have!

I would defenitely use this board to get suggestions or even opinions of places you have seen or are interested in.  I am sure there is at least one of us that has some input that will help you!
    updated: 8/23 the wedding plan 60 in the mailimage 42 Bags are packedimage 18 Missing the funimage
  • jennifer80808jennifer80808 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am local and have been here for 6 years, but we still hired a planner and it was the BEST decision we made.  We used Beth Carrick with Flawless Occasions and she has been truly amazing.  She was reasonably priced and totally worth it.  She also has different packages available!  
    Photobucket Kennedy Aleise 2/19/11 Life As We Know It
  • edited December 2011
    I am in the same boat as you. I moved here a few years ago and everyone in my wedding party is OOT. Planning the wedding has been a great way to get to know the area. I did all the research myself, however I will definitely be hiring a DOC.
  • Lhenne1Lhenne1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the great advice. I really appreciate it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards