Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Thoughts? Ideas? Help!

Hi All,

i know usually at weddings there is the Mother-Son Dance (my FI and FMIL) and the Father-Daughter dance (me & my father). However, my situation is totally different.

my father died February 1 from heart failure. it still breaks my heart even thinking about it. so obviously, i will not be having a father-daughter dance. i even had considered dancing with my Grandfather (Poppy, mom's dad) since my other Grandfather (Grandaddy, dad's dad) is marrying us. however, my Poppy unexpectedly passed away November 30.  Grandaddy is still going to marry us (he married all of his kids and grandkids). I just don't know that do here? any suggestions. i thought about asking one of my brothers, but it would be hard to pick one (i have 9 real brothers and 3 stepbrothers). my sister got married in August and instead of having the father-daughter dance, one of my older brothers made a side-show of pictures my dad & my sister together throughout the years and the background music was "Dance With My Father" by Luther Vandross (one of my dad's favorite artists). I feel awkward asking my stepfather. he's nice, i like him, but i really don't want him doing this. should i just skip it? i could possibly ask my God father (who happens to be my uncle) but i'm not honestly not sure if he'll do it.

any ideas? thoughts? suggestions?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Thoughts? Ideas? Help!

• Options
    itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2012
    My opinion comes from personal experience. My dad and both grandfathers have passed away.

DH & I did not do ANY dances. We spoke his mom (who was well aware of my situation), and she respected the fact that DH & I didn't want to emphasize my not having a father/grandfather to dance with. Therefore, she was totally cool with us skipping the mother/son dance too.

That being said, if you feel you're mentally/emotionally OK with your FI and FMIL doing a spotlight dance, go ahead.

Don't do a slideshow or any "tributes" to the deceased. A wedding is a happy event for you and your FI, not a memorial service.

• Options
    fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2012

We did not have any spotlight dances other than our first dance.  I am not that close to my dad and my DH wanted to dance as little as possible so we just skipped them entirely.  If your FMIL wants to dance with your FI, I think CMGr has the perfect solution.

• Options
    thank you ladies :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    allykat08allykat08 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2012
    My dad also died a few years ago. My mom and I are going to dance... she's also walking me down the aisle :)
    Check out what I have left for sale...
    http://allisonandcorey.weebly.com/

• Options
    My father is dead as well.  I'm very sorry for your loss.  At our wedding dh and his mom still danced together.  I know she was looking forward to it and I'd never have asked her to skip it on my account.  I think that would be selfish.  
  • Options
    I'm very sorry for your losses.

I'd skip the dances.
  • Options
    Skip it.
    And regarding the groom/MOG dance:  I go to weddings all the time because DH and I are both teachers and I've seen a groom/MOG dance once.  Just once.  No one in my area does that, even when there IS a bride/FOB dance.
  • Options
    My dad is not in my life anymore either, and I am doing a mother-daughter dance. My brother is also walking me down the aisle. I feel like there is nothing wrong with choosing to dance with another family member or none at all- it is your wedding, after all. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards