Catholic Weddings
Options

Addressing a priest

I'm sure this has been asked before, just want to make sure... When addressing invitation to our priest, I've heard to address "The Reverand" if he is part of a specific order. My priest is a Franciscan so would it be The Reverand Fr. First name last name, O.F.M.? Please help!

Re: Addressing a priest

• Options
    We asked our priest, and he told us to do it however we wanted.  How is he listed on your parish website/bulletins?
    Anniversary

• Options
    ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited January 2012
    OFM = Order of Friar Minor

would be the literal translation

He's a Franciscan priest and they don't usually use this title of address

SSJ, Jesuits, (Society of Jesus) usually do.  I don't know why.  It could be local though.
  • Options
    I'm not positive about this, but I believe that almost any priest could be referred to as "Reverend." It is a more formal way of addressing a priest who is also called "Father ..."
    "Father" is a term that I don't think anyone except Catholics use. Some other denominations call their pastors "Reverend."
    I don't know about religious orders at all, but when I worked in a church office, the majority of mail was addressed in the "Reverend" form for the priest.

Anniversary
  • Options
    I put Father...but I don't really know if that is right or not.  He's my uncle so I doubt he would actually care how I addressed his invite haha
    August 2011 sig challenge: Honeymoon!! (We bought a boat!!)
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I don't think most priests are picky... we just used "Father" and "Deacon" on our invitations since we knew them pretty well.  However, if you'd like to keep it formal here's some etiquette info that I found on clearheavens' bio that is pretty useful for formal clergy titles:

TIP:  These are common Roman Catholic clerical titles.

Bishop: The Very Reverend
    Monsignor: The Reverend Monsignor or The Very Reverend
    Diocesan priest: The Reverend
    Priests who are members of religious orders: The Reverend Father
    Priests who are abbots of monasteries: The Right Reverend
    Transitional deacon: Reverend Mr. or Deacon
    Permanent deacon: Deacon

"Father" is what you call a Roman Catholic priest.  If you're addressing him in person, use "Father."

Final note, not to make it more confusing, but this only applies to the Roman Catholic Church.  A lot of this will not apply if you're talking about the Eastern Catholic Church.  While according to Wiki about 98% of Catholics are Roman Rite Catholics, there are other Catholic rites such as the Byzantine Rite, which follow different clerical titles.
  • Options
    Get an old etiquette book from the library. They all have forms of address for secular and religious priests. The parish bulletin listing the resident clergy will confirm what the book says (or not, in which case, follow the bulletin)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_addressing-priest?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:6798ce62-7a22-4793-a3eb-f9bfd363a443Post:2cf2da37-b1bc-4ef3-b646-53a3b07743d9">Re: Addressing a priest</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't think most priests are picky... we just used "Father" and "Deacon" on our invitations since we knew them pretty well.  However, if you'd like to keep it formal here's some etiquette info that I found on clearheavens' bio that is pretty useful for formal clergy titles: TIP:   These are common Roman Catholic clerical titles. Bishop: The Very Reverend Monsignor: The Reverend Monsignor or The Very Reverend Diocesan priest: The Reverend <strong>Priests who are members of religious orders: The Reverend Father</strong> Priests who are abbots of monasteries: The Right Reverend Transitional deacon: Reverend Mr. or Deacon Permanent deacon: Deacon "Father" is what you call a Roman Catholic priest.  If you're addressing him in person, use "Father." Final note, not to make it more confusing, but this only applies to the Roman Catholic Church.  A lot of this will not apply if you're talking about the Eastern Catholic Church.  While according to Wiki about 98% of Catholics are Roman Rite Catholics, there are other Catholic rites such as the Byzantine Rite, which follow different clerical titles.
    Posted by newlyseliski[/QUOTE]

In my case, we are being married by a Jesuit.  Would it be correct to address his invitation as The Reverend Father First Last, S.J.?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards