New Jersey

Looking for the Perfect Barn/Farm Wedding Venue!

Help! :)

My fiancee and I are planning a September 2011 wedding, and we'd love to get married in a rustic, vintagey-country (but not cowboy) inspired wedding.  We're thinking harvest! Corn stalks, apples, pumpkins, romantic type setting.  The problem with this? I can't find anything! I'd prefer not to do the cookie-cutter type reception hall...we're looking for something a little more unique--not to mention it tends to get very expensive, and we're trying to keep the budget down since we'll be moving overseas soon thereafter...

Are there any other brides out there that have stumbled across a farm and/or barn location??

Thank you!

Re: Looking for the Perfect Barn/Farm Wedding Venue!

• uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Raritan Inn maybe?

I'll warn you -- you aren't going to have many choices in NJ.  Would you be willing to look at PA as well?
  • edited December 2011
    Sure--we're located in Northern NJ--only about 25 mintues from the PA border.  As long as it's within driving distance, it's good! Thanks :)
  • edited December 2011
    I know there is Perona Farms that I saw when I was looking for venues. In all the pics I saw a white barn. I don't know anything else other than that, sorry!
  • edited December 2011
    My sister got married at Perona Farms. The barn is on the location and you can take pics of it, but the wedding takes place in one of their two ballrooms. Its more rural, but doesnt feel like a barm/farm if thats what you are looking for.

One idea if you are having a smaller wedding, there is Chateau Hawthore in Warwick, NY which is right across the street from orchards and nearby farms for pictures. The place isnt a barn/farm but there are certainly a ton right around it
  • edited December 2011
    Prallsville Mill in Stockton
    http://www.gatheringguide.com/event_directory/nj_new_jersey/event_venue_1845.html
    http://www.brillmansrentalbarn.com/prallsville.htm
    The Cranbury Inn in Cranbury has a gorgeous room that is barn-like but the proprietor is a total jackwagon, and their website lies about the prices, so I'd never give them a cent of my $.
    http://www.thecranburyinn.com/addition.html
    http://www.thecranburyinn.com/weddings.html
  • edited December 2011
    You can have your reception inside the barn at Perona Farms.
  • meg&jarredmeg&jarred member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My brother in law and sister in law got married at the Crossed Keys Inn, it was more of a farm like setting, it had a barn on the premises that was converted into a 'play house' with pool tables and stuff.  Not sure if it is exactly what you are looking for but its worth looking at i think! I believe it is in Andover, NJ
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    wow- ive been to perona farms for a few weddings and never knew that!
  • altimat873altimat873 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    jerichomountainorchards.com
    woolvertoninn.com
    barleysheaf.com

How about more upstate NY-ish like Orange or Dutchess county?
  • Reilly626Reilly626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Try here- its gorgeous....

http://www.stroudsmoor.com/
  • rernstrernst member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You might want to consider Farmstead GC in Lafayette.  The course was built on an old farm and the banquet hall is a large barn-like structure (not sure if it was the original farm's barn or not).  But it's very rustic inside; open hand-hewn timbers, I think there's even a wagon in the main room.  That plus some of your own harvest-themed decorations might work for you.  And they do a real nice job.
    Robert Wayne Photography
  • edited December 2011
    Check out the barnyard and carriage house
    1st Groom

View our FOR SALE items
    http://tinyurl.com/3jjv7vy
  • PeacefieldPeacefield member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Farmstead is very nice.  They have a beautiful setting for an outdoor ceremony, but it's a golf course and there's no escaping that if you were to do that, but the barn they hold the ceremony in is rustic and beautiful.  We went with Perona, but Farmstead was our second choice.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_looking-perfect-barnfarm-wedding-venue?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:76775ee0-7117-4a99-a4ff-6f7a11d7a4baPost:971bd5ec-e8ad-4ab0-b9c4-8b56d4c4eb12">Re: Looking for the Perfect Barn/Farm Wedding Venue!</a>:
    [QUOTE]You might want to consider Farmstead GC in Lafayette.  The course was built on an old farm and the banquet hall is a large barn-like structure (not sure if it was the original farm's barn or not).  But it's very rustic inside; open hand-hewn timbers, I think there's even a wagon in the main room.  That plus some of your own harvest-themed decorations might work for you.  And they do a real nice job.
    Posted by rernst[/QUOTE]

I suggest you take your business name out of your sig before the mod's see it, or you will most likely be banned.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Any member of our community, including a bride, involved in a wedding related business must adhere to the same rules as wedding professionals and are not permitted to post on The Knot message boards.
    1st Groom

View our FOR SALE items
    http://tinyurl.com/3jjv7vy
  • edited December 2011
    The Liberty Hall Museum at Kean College has a wonderful barn and lots of open areas to have ceremony/reception. It's really beautiful, check it out!
    The Soon-To-Be Thomas Family Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited July 2012
    There is a REALLY good post on this website about this:

http://onthisdayweddings.com/category/nj-barn-weddings-other-rustic-nj-venues

This website has a really thorough list of barns available for event rental in NJ with pictures, details and contact information.
  • Does anyone have comments aboutThe High Point in Malvern? John James Audubon Ctr? Peoples Light Theater?  let me know\
  • edited January 2014
    Hey there! I know this is an old post, but there's some great information in the replies. To add to that, I wanted to share a resource I've been working on that's aggregating all of the barn wedding venues across the U.S. Check out our national list of barn wedding venues at www.barnweddingcentral.com. And specific to New Jersey venues, see here: http://www.barnweddingcentral.com/venues/categories/new-jersey

We'll also be posting some free resources soon to help you plan your special day!
  • Perona Farms will do receptions in the Barn now.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The Barn at Perona Farms. I was so excited to check this venue out. What a disappointment attended wedding last summer. 2 afternoon weddings going on in the Perona farms across the street but were ending at 5:00pm then I see 2 more weddings coming in for the night shift plus the wedding I'm attending at the Barn. That’s 5 brides in one day, wow talk about get em in and get em out. I arrived early the parking lot was full no space to park until I saw the dirt road leading to the Barn parked and I decided to walked the property with my fiancée, had to cross street but I had to wait for a pack of Harley's to go by first very busy road. Once across I saw the apple orchard tons of rotten apples on the ground being hovered over by bee's also people who own the house in orchard were outside play tennis on their courts looks like they own the orchard too. Continued to tour the grounds saw the Island in the middle of a algae pond next to the busy road 2 brides waiting to take pics but the grounds were nice. The ceremony was about to start so we headed back. The parking lot was insane and I guess due to the amount of guest there was a very strong odor of septic in the air. Made it back to the Barn almost twisted my ankle walking up this dirt gravel road to the entrance of the barn valet guy was really nice and pointed us in the right direction. The white chairs were set up on the side lawn in the middle of the barn and someone’s house, which the people at the house were outside on their deck during the ceremony. The bride and groom are very good friends and now I'm starting to feel bad for them because I know they paid close to $200.00 per person. Ceremony was nice but felt like 100 degrees no cover on a day like that Ceremony was over and now were going into the Barn for cocktail hour. Hmmmm a little different nice plywood ceiling, concrete floor like around a built in swimming pool. Just looked unfinished. The food line wrapped around 1/2 the inside of the barn. Finally get up to the food pizza station looked like pizza for one no assorted topping just one little pizza, carving of salmon that was good, pasta just sitting in 2 sauté pans over cooked, then a sausage station that was different, then shrimp on ice and platters of sliced cold cuts the salads well I felt like I was at a picnic. Cocktail hour was over and they moved us up stairs a friend of mine had to take the elevator which was very scary it was like an old slow moving freight elevator we took the steps 2 flights Now we are all upstairs the floor is the original barn floor and my heels are getting caught in the middle of the wood floor thank god the bride provided flip flops there was no dance floor just a space left open to dance the tables were set up like a convention the tables looked like they were pulled out of a pool of lacquer and 12 of us at one table the plates china and glasses looked like they came from the dollar store, Already on the table a small bowl of olives some cheese and red peppers and a bowl of salad we all had to pass this around. Then the bide was introduced they had to wiggle through the tables to make it up to the dance floor next they placed platters of beef and chicken and platters of vegetable and potato again we all had to pass the platters around at this point I felt like I was at a high school sports award dinner. This place looks like they just swept it out put up some up lighting but forgot to take down from the ceiling the old heaters what an eye sore my fiancée being a volunteer fireman notice no sprinkler system in case of a fire that was a little concerning and scary especially being on a second floor in a all wood building. Biggest draw back bathrooms all down stairs and I realized were the smell was coming from, I asked one of the staff what is that smell and she told me they didn’t enlarge the septic so when its busy that’s what happens. I really feel bad for my friends and of course we all told them best wedding ever but truly a total disappointment. This is my first review but I just feel like I had to write this. We found our venue a beautiful rustic Barn but 100 % more finished at half the price. 

• I know Perona is frequently talked about here when someone asks about a barn or rustic wedding.  I've never been in the barn but understand that it's always in different stages of renovation.  That said, I've attended a wedding at Farmstead GC not far from Perona.  A much nicer barn, good food, what seems to be better pricing.  But I don't think they market as aggressively as Perona so many people don't even know about it.
  • It's not really a barn but I'm getting married at the Conservatory at the Sussex County Fairgrounds. The conservatory is all glass and was originally built for flower shows. It is an awesome space and I recommend checking it out. 
  • The Barn at Perona Farms. I was so excited to check this venue out. What a disappointment attended wedding last summer. 2 afternoon weddings going on in the Perona farms across the street but were ending at 5:00pm then I see 2 more weddings coming in for the night shift plus the wedding I'm attending at the Barn. That’s 5 brides in one day, wow talk about get em in and get em out. I arrived early the parking lot was full no space to park until I saw the dirt road leading to the Barn parked and I decided to walked the property with my fiancée, had to cross street but I had to wait for a pack of Harley's to go by first very busy road. Once across I saw the apple orchard tons of rotten apples on the ground being hovered over by bee's also people who own the house in orchard were outside play tennis on their courts looks like they own the orchard too. Continued to tour the grounds saw the Island in the middle of a algae pond next to the busy road 2 brides waiting to take pics but the grounds were nice. The ceremony was about to start so we headed back. The parking lot was insane and I guess due to the amount of guest there was a very strong odor of septic in the air. Made it back to the Barn almost twisted my ankle walking up this dirt gravel road to the entrance of the barn valet guy was really nice and pointed us in the right direction. The white chairs were set up on the side lawn in the middle of the barn and someone’s house, which the people at the house were outside on their deck during the ceremony. The bride and groom are very good friends and now I'm starting to feel bad for them because I know they paid close to $200.00 per person. Ceremony was nice but felt like 100 degrees no cover on a day like that Ceremony was over and now were going into the Barn for cocktail hour. Hmmmm a little different nice plywood ceiling, concrete floor like around a built in swimming pool. Just looked unfinished. The food line wrapped around 1/2 the inside of the barn. Finally get up to the food pizza station looked like pizza for one no assorted topping just one little pizza, carving of salmon that was good, pasta just sitting in 2 sauté pans over cooked, then a sausage station that was different, then shrimp on ice and platters of sliced cold cuts the salads well I felt like I was at a picnic. Cocktail hour was over and they moved us up stairs a friend of mine had to take the elevator which was very scary it was like an old slow moving freight elevator we took the steps 2 flights Now we are all upstairs the floor is the original barn floor and my heels are getting caught in the middle of the wood floor thank god the bride provided flip flops there was no dance floor just a space left open to dance the tables were set up like a convention the tables looked like they were pulled out of a pool of lacquer and 12 of us at one table the plates china and glasses looked like they came from the dollar store, Already on the table a small bowl of olives some cheese and red peppers and a bowl of salad we all had to pass this around. Then the bide was introduced they had to wiggle through the tables to make it up to the dance floor next they placed platters of beef and chicken and platters of vegetable and potato again we all had to pass the platters around at this point I felt like I was at a high school sports award dinner. This place looks like they just swept it out put up some up lighting but forgot to take down from the ceiling the old heaters what an eye sore my fiancée being a volunteer fireman notice no sprinkler system in case of a fire that was a little concerning and scary especially being on a second floor in a all wood building. Biggest draw back bathrooms all down stairs and I realized were the smell was coming from, I asked one of the staff what is that smell and she told me they didn’t enlarge the septic so when its busy that’s what happens. I really feel bad for my friends and of course we all told them best wedding ever but truly a total disappointment. This is my first review but I just feel like I had to write this. We found our venue a beautiful rustic Barn but 100 % more finished at half the price. 

you said you found a rustic barn at half the price .. do you mind sharing the name of the place you found?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards