Military Brides

Color schemes with Dress Blues

Looking for ideas for a beach wedding with dress blues... want to plan this in florida and am thinking greens and blues but wanted to some advice/ideas to match Dress Blues for a marine wedding.

Re: Color schemes with Dress Blues

• edited December 2011

Yeah I've had issues with this as well! We decided on doing navy and ivory for our colors...I think! Nothing seems to be working out and I can't find BM dresses in the color I want! You can pretty much pick what ever colors you want, though. I wouldn't pick orange or anything like that but I'm sure that the blues and greens would look good! 
    These uniforms are making this wedding planning so much harder lol! My man is in the Army and is a calvary scout, he has earned his stetson and spurs and will be wearing them for the wedding...which I didn't think about when I first started planning! He also went from wearing his Class A's (which are a horrid shade of green) to his Dress Blues  so I had to change the colors of the wedding to suit that! I feel your frustration!
    Keep your chin up and I'm sure that any color you pick will be just fine :)

• iluvmytxrgriluvmytxrgr member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Don't try to match the Blues, it won't work.  Just pick colors that you like.  When are you planning your wedding?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • iluvmytxrgriluvmytxrgr member
    edited December 2011
    NM, I just saw late May of next year.  Is your FI sure he wants to wear his Blues on a beach when it may be 90 degrees outside?  I would rather shoot myself in the face than roast in that uniform in th sand.  Just sayin.
  • kyrgyzstankyrgyzstan member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_color-schemes-dress-blues?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:2532b1d7-f5da-4a19-b660-e54276fd520cPost:2049fc84-65f6-4cea-b851-8a4e9a7ee6d0">Re: Color schemes with Dress Blues</a>:
    [QUOTE]NM, I just saw late May of next year.  Is your FI sure he wants to wear his Blues on a beach when it may be 90 degrees outside?  I would rather shoot myself in the face than roast in that uniform in th sand.  Just sayin.
    Posted by iluvmytxrgr[/QUOTE]

<div>This. That's an awfully formal uniform for a beach wedding. He couldn't take off his shoes either, and they're not comfortable footwear, according to SO. He agrees with TX, he'd rather not wear his blues to a beach wedding. At all. </div><div>
    </div><div>ETA: And those uniforms don't match themselves. Choose whatever colors. </div>
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • Beachy730Beachy730 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with PPs.  As soon as I read beach wedding I was thinking about how uncomfortable the dress blues would be.  If he really wants to wear them that's his choice, and like another PP said you can pick any color.  But I would have him think about if thats what he really wants to wear.  Nobody wants to be uncomfortable on their wedding day, and with a uniform he can't just take things off when he gets too hot. 
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • MmfooteMmfoote member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My boyfriend might be wearing his Blues too. I went to a wedding where the red of the stripes on their pants was the color of the bridesmaids dresses and it was really pretty. Just an option! :)
    Proud Marine Fiance!! I may wear the Glass Slippers, but my Hero wears the Combat Boots! Soon to be a MRS!!
  • semperfiwife8semperfiwife8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My fiancé is wearing his dress blues for our wedding in August. I know he will be hot but only the ceremony is outside. We both like how they look. He earned his uniform he should wear it. I am going with navy blue and cream for our colors with red only in my bouquet. I dont want anything to clash too horridly with him and i think in the end it will look quite classy. They sure dont make it easy though
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_color-schemes-dress-blues?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:2532b1d7-f5da-4a19-b660-e54276fd520cPost:e0a4d415-1b8b-488b-8e2f-803160a8b761">Re: Color schemes with Dress Blues</a>:
    [QUOTE]My fiancé is wearing his dress blues for our wedding in August. I know he will be hot but only the ceremony is outside. We both like how they look. He earned his uniform he should wear it. I am going with navy blue and cream for our colors with red only in my bouquet. I dont want anything to clash too horridly with him and i think in the end it will look quite classy. They sure dont make it easy though
    Posted by semperfiwife8[/QUOTE]

<div>He earned his uniform, so he should choose if he wears it. If your fiance wants to, good to go for him. But if it's as uncomfortable as it is in November, at night...I can't fathom wearing it to the beach in the summer. </div>
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • peifcpeifc member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If marry in Florida, find the month that's cool. There are times the weather can get about 60's and even lower.

I'm planning to use red as my theme colors to match the red on the uniform dress Blues.  :)
  • Greta46Greta46 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am really struggling with this too - originally I wanted to do the colors of a peacock - teal, purple, and blue but that was before I thought about the dress blues... now I am afraid it will look bad!

I really do not want to do red and my sister is having navy blue and her wedding is less than a year before mine... If anyone has other ideas for colors, pass them on!
  • peifcpeifc member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yellow? The yellow color of USMC emblem? Or the navy blue of the dress blue trousers?
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_color-schemes-dress-blues?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:2532b1d7-f5da-4a19-b660-e54276fd520cPost:fb9e8b4e-87aa-4b03-b77e-fb01ded95277">Re: Color schemes with Dress Blues</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yellow? The yellow color of USMC emblem? Or the navy blue of the dress blue trousers?
    Posted by peifc[/QUOTE]

<div>It's technically royal blue. Not to be nitpicky, but if she's trying to match them exactly, they're definitely royal blue. In addition, if matching is important, I'd advise taking the trousers. They're a difficult blue to match.</div>
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • SteplopeSteplope member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My Fiance is a Marine, so he is wearing his dress blues. Our hometown is Miami, so he wants the wedding down there in July at the beach as well. We decided to keep the same colors as the dress blues, Blue and Red to match the pants. For the Bridesmaids I found dresses that can have two different color schemes in Alfred Angelos. These dresses are about knee length (perfect for the beach/heat) and the body of the dress is one color, and the sash and bottom hem of the dress can be a second color. I hope this helps! Smile
  • mrsluna2015mrsluna2015 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My husband is wearing his blues too. Our colors are just royal blue and white. A lot of people told me to put in red but it seemed to 4th of July.
  • spartangracespartangrace member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My fiancé is also wearing his blues, and originally I wanted peacock colors too (navy, royal blue, teal, purple, etc. and the feathers have a gold tint which would look so nice with the gold accents on the uniform). I definitely think you can make it work if you want to! There is lots of inspiration online and Facebook has a great group for peacock themed weddings.

I ended up changing my colors to navy blue and yellow/gold. I haven't chosen the actual bridesmaid dresses yet, but my girls tried on yellow dresses for me (in more of a gold hue to match his chevrons) and it was very pretty! My top choice on my girls are navy dresses with yellow/gold sashes though. 

I've been looking at photos of other Marine weddings for months though, and I think you can really make anything work! One girl I saw did brink pink with hers, and it looked surprisingly beautiful because the pink had a reddish tint that was in the same family as the blood stripe on the pants.

Hope this helps!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Honestly, I've seen hot pink and bright orange with dress blues, a lot of people are totally cool with just pushing the blues out of their minds and doing whatever they want. Personally, I'm a matching freak (drives me crazy that dress blues don't match haha), but because of that I am doing dark red and golden yellow. It won't match perfectly, but I think it will be gorgeous anyway. I did not want to do red and blue because I also thought it would look like the 4th of July and yellow is my favorite color. Oh, and the peacock thing sounds beautiful!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards