Registry and Gift Forum

Life Insurance as a wedding gift

Has anyone thought about registering for life insurance as a gift?  Is there a way to do this?

Re: Life Insurance as a wedding gift

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_life-insurance-as-a-wedding-gift?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:d85ba800-983d-4039-964b-9697a8733488Post:9f144640-4b87-450d-9b09-ece06987be42">Life Insurance as a wedding gift</a>:
    [QUOTE]Has anyone thought about registering for life insurance as a gift?  Is there a way to do this?
    Posted by rtdawkins[/QUOTE]

Oh FFS.  Not to be rude but I really thought we'd hit rock bottom with what people want to register for with honeymoons, cars and houses.  There are certain things that are just part of your monthly household expenses and insurance of any kind is part of that.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • I don't think it's a good idea at all, tbh.  If you don't want any physical gifts, just don't register.  Most people will take the hint and give you cash, which you can use to buy yourself a life insurance policy if you wish.  Keep in mind that some people will get you a physical gift whether you register or not, so it's a good idea to at least register for a few things (upgrades, linens, etc.) with those guests in mind.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Terrible, terrible idea.  Like PP's said, pay for it yourself.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • misshart00misshart00 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited February 2013
    Yeah, bad idea. Not to mention, isn't life insurance usually a monthly payment? How do you ask a wedding guest to make a monthly payment for you for the next however long you live. Also, you can get term life for like 20 bucks a month.
  • HobokensFuryHobokensFury member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited February 2013
    Wait... what?! You do know life insurance isn't a one time fee right and it isn't something you can't just sign up for.  There are specific qualifications.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • beardownbchsbeardownbchs member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited February 2013
    I work in life insurance and there are 100 reasons why this is a terrible idea. 

Obviously, etiquette being number one. 

But, you will need to do health questionnaires and an exam for any good life insurance. Most insurance plans have a recurring payment, whether it is monthly, quarterly, annually, etc. The policies that are a one-time-fee are usually upwards of $50-100,000 depending on the health of the person and the plan you want. 

Life insurance is so personal - something you decide on your own and you need to go through the processon your own. 

Many insurance carriers will require that the person paying the premiums be the owner of the policy. So, if you get around all the other specifics of it (completing the medical exam, deciding whether you want term or whole life, the face amount and death benefit and countless other impossibilities), do you really want your great uncle John to be the owner of your life insurance policy?

This could not and would not work. You are an adult and will be a wife. You and your husband take out insurance together, seperately, or on each other but do not include other people. 

The only time I have ever seen someone who is not the spouse be an owner/payor/beneficiary on a life insurance policy is if the proposed insured is a minor and the parents/grandparents are offering it as a graduation or baptism gift or if children are paying for their elderly parents' insurance. 

Register for pots and pans like everyone else and pay your own bills. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_life-insurance-as-a-wedding-gift?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:d85ba800-983d-4039-964b-9697a8733488Post:9f144640-4b87-450d-9b09-ece06987be42">Life Insurance as a wedding gift</a>:
    [QUOTE]Has anyone thought about registering for life insurance as a gift?  Is there a way to do this?
    Posted by rtdawkins[/QUOTE]
    Good one!  You're joking, right?  Right?

• Nothing says "congratulations on your marriage" like "planning for your significant others death". :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_life-insurance-as-a-wedding-gift?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:d85ba800-983d-4039-964b-9697a8733488Post:1f2bb95f-a3e1-4270-bcc8-87d157fde780">Re: Life Insurance as a wedding gift</a>:
    [QUOTE]Nothing says "congratulations on your marriage" like "planning for your significant others death". :)
    Posted by mlg78[/QUOTE]

Lol this reminds me of Dwight on The Office, explaining that his family gets married standing in their coffins. "The weddings are kind of depressing, but the funerals are very romantic..."
    Follow Me (and my wedding!) on Pinterest
    50 in 2012 Reading Challenge: 2 books read
    my read shelf:

Katie Rizzo's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_life-insurance-as-a-wedding-gift?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:d85ba800-983d-4039-964b-9697a8733488Post:4c4cda54-b5f4-49d7-a65d-f9d9dd1f1c90">Re: Life Insurance as a wedding gift</a>:
    [QUOTE]I work in life insurance and there are 100 reasons why this is a terrible idea.  Obviously, etiquette being number one.  But, you will need to do health questionnaires and an exam for any good life insurance. Most insurance plans have a recurring payment, whether it is monthly, quarterly, annually, etc. The policies that are a one-time-fee are usually upwards of $50-100,000 depending on the health of the person and the plan you want.  Life insurance is so personal - something you decide on your own and you need to go through the processon your own.  Many insurance carriers will require that the person paying the premiums be the owner of the policy. So, if you get around all the other specifics of it (completing the medical exam, deciding whether you want term or whole life, the face amount and death benefit and countless other impossibilities), do you really want your great uncle John to be the owner of your life insurance policy? This could not and would not work. You are an adult and will be a wife. You and your husband take out insurance together, seperately, or on each other but do not include other people.  The only time I have ever seen someone who is not the spouse be an owner/payor/beneficiary on a life insurance policy is if the proposed insured is a minor and the parents/grandparents are offering it as a graduation or baptism gift or if children are paying for their elderly parents' insurance.  Register for pots and pans like everyone else and pay your own bills. 
    Posted by beardownbchs[/QUOTE]

I work in insurance as well & I couldnt have said it better myself.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Oh dear, please don't! And I really don't think there's a way to register for life insurance.......
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards