Honeymoon Discussions

Honeymoon Blues!

I am so disappointed about our honeymoon!!  We were originally going to Disney in Orlando, but we don't have the funding for that.  WE also had an offer from my FI's great aunt and uncle to stay at their house on Amelia Island in FL for the week. So nice...free!  BUT we recently found out that they will be there while we are there.  Um yeah.....awkward!!  So we are going to spend 3 nights in a motel and the others with them.  It will be ok - the house is roommate style, with the bedrooms on opposite ends of the house, but still.  I am so disappointed that it won't be just the two of us.  I would love to do something else, but we have a really tight budget for the wedding as it is. There's no way we can afford a motel for our entire honeymoon.

I think we may try to do the DIsney thing next year in January.  But still - this is our honeymoon.  It's not exactly what I had imagined.  **SIGH!!**

Make the most of it, I guess.  Right?
Anniversary

Re: Honeymoon Blues!

• Some people delay their honeymoons until they can afford their dream vacation.  Then they just stay in a nice hotel on their wedding night for their little mini-moon.  It may suck to wait, but you'll have the vacation you want!

If you don't want to wait, you can still make the most of a cheap vacation!  Definitely drive, don't fly.  If you can save up the money, you can often rent very cheap little vacation homes in orlando.  Not only can you find really good deals sometimes (and privacy--not sharing with your Aunt and Uncle!), but you can eat at home to save money.

I've also had luck with the "top secret hotel" function on travelocity (other sites have things like that too).  If you're not too picky about your hotel, you can find awesome hotel deals but they won't tell you the name until you book.  But you'll know the amount of stars the hotel is rated.

You can also do some free things in florida like going to parks and beaches.

This site has a list of free things to do near orlando

If it were me, I would do everything it took to have a private hotel room or private vacation house.  That would be my main priority.  But I realize that you might just not be able to get it to work in your budget, or you may have other priorities. 

Either way, it's your honeymoon!  You're going to have an awesome time.  Just remember what it's really about--spending time and relaxing with your hubby and enjoying being married!

SaveSave
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_honeymoon-blues-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:dd112c40-c18b-4f91-8854-3bca46f7b290Post:b5e0e439-f0e4-4dcd-888e-14c41ffd4b3c">Honeymoon Blues!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am so disappointed about our honeymoon!!  We were originally going to Disney in Orlando, but we don't have the funding for that.  WE also had an offer from my FI's great aunt and uncle to stay at their house on Amelia Island in FL for the week. So nice...free!  BUT we recently found out that they will be there while we are there.  Um yeah.....awkward!!  So we are going to spend 3 nights in a motel and the others with them.  It will be ok - the house is roommate style, with the bedrooms on opposite ends of the house, but still.  I am so disappointed that it won't be just the two of us.  I would love to do something else, but we have a really tight budget for the wedding as it is. There's no way we can afford a motel for our entire honeymoon. I think we may try to do the DIsney thing next year in January.  But still - this is our honeymoon.  It's not exactly what I had imagined.  **SIGH!!** Make the most of it, I guess.  Right?
    Posted by Nindakay[/QUOTE]

<div>THIS. I felt this exact same way until about a week ago when I decided i needed to make the most of our honeymoon. I was too set on our original idea that I turned my nose up at the idea of staying at my cousin's place (you commented on my pp so I won't go into all of what we've planned again). I'm just happy that I allowed myself to open up to the idea because I think by planning it out ahead of time, it will be exactly what we want and to me that will be the perfect honeymoon. I'm just excited about getting away with my FI, our first trip as husband and wife. </div><div>
    </div><div>Give it time to grow on you... and then revisit the idea after a week or so. It took me about 3 weeks to finally grasp the idea that we couldn't afford our dream vacation... right now. But we promised each other that we will absolutely do it as an anniversary trip in the future. To be honest, I was still a little bit sad when I started googling ddifferent things to do in the area but as I got further into the planning, I got extremely excited about it. </div><div>
    </div><div>Think of it this way, this will be the beginning of many wonderful trips you will take together. Go to Disney when you can afford it and won't have "buyer's remorse" once you're back home from the trip and all settled into life again. </div><div>
    </div><div>Good luck with your plannning! </div>
    Lilypie Trying to Conceive 21 to 37 day cycle tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I never had a honeymoon, and my new husband had to fly back to our home 1 week after our wedding, while I stayed in Michigan getting paperwork done for me to legally live in Europe. I didn't see him again for 2 months.

You'll forgive me if I lack a little sympathy. ;)
  • if private time is a priority and budget is a concern, have you considered just doing a staycation honeymoon?  there's no reason you need to travel, all you really need is to have some quality time together to relax after the honeymoon.  take the week off from work, turn off your phones, tell everyone that you're going away, but actually just spend the time in your own city.  go out to eat, watch movies, snuggle on the couch, go on a few day trips if you want.   you can save some money for an anniversary trip to disney the following year. 
  • I would put it off so you can save money and do something more close to what you originally wanted.  I got married Jan 13, and we are honeymooning at the very end of April.  I feel like I appreciate being married more by delaying this trip.  Look for groupon getaway deals too!! :D
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards