Catholic Weddings

ash wednesday!

i wont be able to get ashes today due to crappy mass times and an even crappier work schedule.  oh, well.

picking up fish at whole foods for dinner.  yum.

Re: ash wednesday!

• Fi and I went to mass at 7am this morning.  Definitely will be drinking a lot of coffee today.
  • I'm going to go tonight to my first "Extraordinary Form" Ash Wednesday service! I'm very curious how they will do it... I'm sure someone on here knows how, but I just have no idea... like, will they do the ashes at the beginning? or end? or in the middle? will the ashes part be in latin? I guess I'm going to wait and find out!
    Anniversary
  • I usually go in the mornings, but I didn't even get out of bed until about 15 minutes before I usually leave.  We had a loooooong day at work.  So instead I think I'll be going with a friend from work this evening.

We have a four-day weekend coming up and I am soooooooooooooooo ready!
    Anniversary

• Not sure whether I'll make it.  Noon Mass is the time that would work for us, and noon Mass is in Latin.  H won't go to Latin Mass, and I sure as heck am not going to Latin Mass by myself, so there you have it. 

• Not sure if we will make it either, but we'll see.

I'm still struggling on what to give up - I had thought to give up my snooze button and work on getting up so I'm not so rushed this morning, but I already failed on that one this morning :)  Does it count to give up "being lazy" and commit to exercising a certain amount of times per week?  That's something I've really been slacking on and need to get back to...
  • elbow23elbow23 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited February 2013
    I was all set to go to mass at 6:30 this evening, but when I got to the lab, I discovered I have twice as much work to do as I thought.  I'll be here until at least 8:30, so it looks like I'll miss mass as well...sigh.

On the plus side, I will also be working through lunch, so it's no problem that I totally spaced and brought last night's leftover ham!

(Edited because I accidentally hit enter too many times and posted before I was finished.)
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Erin, I think it really depends on the individual.  I wouldn't be able to commit to an exercise plan for my lenten sacrifice, because I know myself too well to think it'd be with the right intentions.  I'd definitely have my appearance as my main concern, rather than spirituality.  Some, though, don't have this problem, and would rather be more concerned about self-discipline and taking care of their body, a temple of the HS.  As long as you're honest with yourself about your intentions, I'm sure you'll be able to decide this for yourself :)

I'm giving up booze.  Not easy, but it will be a good thing.  It's not like I get wasted every day, but I'm defintely in the habit of having a drink at least half the days of the week.  I'm bad...

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_ash-wednesday-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:087cac42-c069-4863-83d1-d0773ed38069Post:04058587-08f7-4f41-9a04-d15ea26112b2">Re: ash wednesday!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Not sure if we will make it either, but we'll see. I'm still struggling on what to give up - I had thought to give up my snooze button and work on getting up so I'm not so rushed this morning, but I already failed on that one this morning :)  <strong>Does it count to give up "being lazy" and commit to exercising a certain amount of times per week?</strong>  That's something I've really been slacking on and need to get back to...
    Posted by erin5286[/QUOTE]

That's exactly what I'm doing.  The nutrionist has been on me for some time to get into a regular exercise routine, as diet alone is not doing enough to improve my physical/mental health.  Thus far, I've failed, but Lent gives me the perfect excuse to sacrifice one hour several times a week to accomplish my goal.  My hope is that over the next several weeks, exercise will become a habit, so I'll be able to continue once the Lenten season is complete.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_ash-wednesday-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:087cac42-c069-4863-83d1-d0773ed38069Post:7f3f38f9-e7e1-4a59-8964-3940cff1c1e4">Re: ash wednesday!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Erin, I think it really depends on the individual.  I wouldn't be able to commit to an exercise plan for my lenten sacrifice, because I know myself too well to think it'd be with the right intentions.  I'd definitely have my appearance as my main concern, rather than spirituality.  Some, though, don't have this problem, and would rather be more concerned about self-discipline and taking care of their body, a temple of the HS.  As long as you're honest with yourself about your intentions, I'm sure you'll be able to decide this for yourself :) I'm giving up booze.  Not easy, but it will be a good thing.  It's not like I get wasted every day, but I'm defintely in the habit of having a drink at least half the days of the week.  I'm bad...
    Posted by Resa77[/QUOTE]

That's a really good point - as much as I want to just become healthy overall, and try make exercising more a part of my lifestyle so that I can eventually be a good example and encourage my children to be healthy, a big  part of it is just my vanity and wishing that I looked better in my skinny jeans... Perhaps I should just focus on using this time to get started, but come up with something else to be my lenten sacrifice.  Probably soda and/or sweets, which will be difficult at work since both are readily available (and free).

Props to you on giving up booze - I don't know that I could do that.  Same as you, it's not like I'm drinking everyday, but I definitely enjoy a glass of wine in the evenings or going out with friends on the weekends.  I've considered giving it up before, but decided that once we have kids and I'm pregnant/breastfeeding there will be lots of times that I can't drink, so I'm OK with enjoying it while I stil can :)
  • I'm giving up television and cutting back alcohol to five drinks a week.  I'm also going to try to read from the Bible or another religious text every night before I go to sleep.

Fasting is interesting this year because I'm already on a diet that is essentially one regular-sized meal and two smaller meals that don't equal up to as much as the normal meal. Ah well.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm giving up booze. Not easy, but it will be a good thing. It's not like I get wasted every day, but I'm defintely in the habit of having a drink at least half the days of the week. I'm bad...

haha, i went from 7 days a week down to 2-3.  however, because beer and wine are evil in terms of calories/sugar/bloating, my trainer recommended that if i drink, i should stick to clear and hard (i.e. VODKA).  while its less calories, i somehow feel like its worse to drink the hard stuff rather than beer and wine.  but im not bloated and ive lost weight so i guess its ok!  lol

i am gonna try to give up booze for lent...but i made the mistake last night of opening a brand new grey goose (orange flavor) for fat tuesday, and well, now its tempting me. 
  • Had an awful time at Mass...I feel like a giant jerk because I should be grateful i got to go but...good grief. I sat in the cry room because it was so crowded and...never. ever. again. I'll spare you all the details. I guess God wanted to give me different sufferings than I wanted to choose for myself.

Err also...maybe someone can explain how this is true in some sense (I hope:) the priest's homily stressed over and over that the reason we wear ashes is because "we are God's beautiful creation and to remind ourselves that He loves us for all eternity." Really? I thought it was to remind us of our sin and our mortality......The words "sin" and "repentance" were not mentioned once.

I'm giving up sweets and salt and pepper...I use way too much of the latter and have gotten so picky, like it's got to be sea salt and pepper from a grinder.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • monkeysipmonkeysip member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited February 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_ash-wednesday-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:087cac42-c069-4863-83d1-d0773ed38069Post:4f10dc5e-3c04-4084-92cd-7637af3788fc">Re: ash wednesday!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: ash wednesday! : I had an awful time last year at Mass on Ash Wednesday.  I volunteered to be Worship Coordinator for our church's evening Ash Wednesday Mass.  I had several people pester me DURING THE CONSCECRATION OF THE EUCHARIST for ashes (we distributed them right after the homily).  I was on my knees in the narthex and people were saying "I got here late - I need my ashes."  I was so incredibly annoyed. 
    Posted by TXKristan[/QUOTE]

UGH... What is with people and the ashes?  They don't come to church all year, but then want ashes (and then leave before communion).  FI and I have a theory that people just like coming to mass to get tangibles.  Like ashes or palm sunday (palm sunday is incredibly packed at the churches I've been too... people want those palms!).

I'm not usually one to judge people who don't attend mass every sunday, but COME ON... Ash wednesday isn't even an obligatory day... and yet it seems to be more crowded than Christmas!

SaveSave
  • Monkey, that's totally my theory too! Ppl want to get something for free lol. I think it's just so sad that there are almost always more people at Palm Sunday Mass than Easter Sunday. Anyone else see that in their parish?

• lol...yeah, what is it with ash wednesday? Why is it that at my relatively small church, on the typical Holy Day of Obligation, there is, I kid you not, EIGHT people in the pews, and yet today, on Ash Wednesday, there were approximately 100? seriously, people...you need to get your priorities straight!

yikes, Caitriona, I totally feel for you! I would be sooooo annoyed! (A nice contrast to that - My priest talked about how important confession is, and how if you miss Mass then you can't assume you're going to heaven! woot woot!)
    Anniversary
  • This was my first Ash Wednesday at a new parish where I moved to and it was very different. Granted I am having a hard time transsitioning since the church is more modern than I am use to. But I do have a question my old "home" parish never distrbuted communion, and neither have the churhes I attended in college on Ash Wednesday. Does anyone elses church not distrubute communion. I was so use to a half out service.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • <span style="font-size:11px;line-height:14px;">[QUOTE]This was my first Ash Wednesday at a new parish where I moved to and it was very different. Granted I am having a hard time transsitioning since the church is more modern than I am use to. But I do have a question my old "home" parish never distrbuted communion, and neither have the churhes I attended in college on Ash Wednesday. Does anyone elses church not distrubute communion. I was so use to a half out service.</span>
    Posted by pittpoint1119[/QUOTE]<div>That is really weird. And sad... I have never even heard of that. I guess they're just doing like a prayer service or liturgy of the word but with just ashes? still incredibly weird. All I can say is... whoever is in charge of planning the liturgies at those parishes REALLY needs to get their priorities in order! Sigh...

</div>
    Anniversary
  • Yeah, from what I've seen, parishes will offer a couple masses and a couple liturgies of the word on ash wednesday.  I don't know if it's just because they don't have the capacity to do that many masses, or (more cynically), they know there are a lot of people that just want the ashes, not the mass.  :(

Oddest thing I saw tonight... before mass, a woman walked up to the altar and got her own ashes.  Put it on her own forehead, then sat down in a pew.  Is that something some cultures do?  She looked like she might have been foreign, so I thought it might be a regional thing.  Or a clueless thing :p

SaveSave
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_ash-wednesday-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:087cac42-c069-4863-83d1-d0773ed38069Post:9030ae03-44c7-4c24-b90a-bc59cdc6d043">Re: ash wednesday!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yeah, from what I've seen, parishes will offer a couple masses and a couple liturgies of the word on ash wednesday.  I don't know if it's just because they don't have the capacity to do that many masses, or (more cynically), they know there are a lot of people that just want the ashes, not the mass.  :( Oddest thing I saw tonight... <strong>before mass, a woman walked up to the altar and got her own ashes.  Put it on her own forehead, then sat down in a pew.  Is that something some cultures do?  She looked like she might have been foreign, so I thought it might be a regional thing.  Or a clueless thing :p</strong>
    Posted by monkeysip[/QUOTE]

<div>Bizarre.</div><div>
    </div><div>Our parish had two masses and two prayer services today.  I ended up going to a cathedral in another part of town with a friend of mine who is coming into the church this Easter and is still trying to decide where her "church home" will be.  It was beautiful.</div>
    Anniversary

• Oh, man. I walk by a church every day on my way to work and yesterday I noticed that they had a sign that they would be giving ashes continually, all day. It was so bizarre. Just this huge influx of people coming in, quickly getting ashes from one of 3 priests set up in the entryway, and then rushing back out to work?

I went during lunch to mass (it was actually really convenient, they had a ton of lunchtime masses). I have never been to this parish before so I have no idea if they always do it this way or what, but instead of lining up to receive the eucharist  everyone just walked to the front, kneeled, and the priests wandered around the altar giving out communion. Everyone had already gotten their ashes as they walked in (except me, ha).

We really rarely went to Ash Wednesday services (public schools) so I was really curious what the heck was going on.

But I thought my overall experience at Mass was great. :) I'm not giving anything up but am taking the positive-actions route and will be making personal changes. Hurrah!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    pinterest, obvi.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_ash-wednesday-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:087cac42-c069-4863-83d1-d0773ed38069Post:04189b10-e1cd-40fe-a103-4fd3150e5fc5">Re: ash wednesday!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh, man. I walk by a church every day on my way to work and yesterday I noticed that they had a sign that they would be giving ashes continually, all day. It was so bizarre. Just this huge influx of people coming in, quickly getting ashes from one of 3 priests set up in the entryway, and then rushing back out to work? I went during lunch to mass (it was actually really convenient, they had a ton of lunchtime masses).<strong> I have never been to this parish before so I have no idea if they always do it this way or what, but instead of lining up to receive the eucharist  everyone just walked to the front, kneeled, and the priests wandered around the altar giving out communion</strong>. Everyone had already gotten their ashes as they walked in (except me, ha). We really rarely went to Ash Wednesday services (public schools) so I was really curious what the heck was going on. But I thought my overall experience at Mass was great. :) I'm not giving anything up but am taking the positive-actions route and will be making personal changes. Hurrah!
    Posted by sarahdactyI[/QUOTE]

This is how our parish does communion. It is the more traditional way to receive on the tongue, kneeling at the altar rail.
  • I have never been to this parish before so I have no idea if they always do it this way or what, but instead of lining up to receive the eucharist everyone just walked to the front, kneeled, and the priests wandered around the altar giving out communion.

yes, my church uses the rail at all masses, not just the latin. 

it was funny, when they put it in primarily for the latin mass, the priest had an overwhelming number of novus ordo attendees ask if they could use it too!  so now its at all masses and i see people getting it hand or tongue, but always kneeling.
  • At my Catholic HS, we always received kneeling...there wasn't a physical rail, but we'd just line up in front of the altar area, kneel, and receive.  Then the bishop found out and said we couldn't do that anymore, since that's not how we receive as a diocese.  Of course we obeyed.

• <span style="font-size:11px;line-height:14px;">[QUOTE]Yeah, from what I've seen, parishes will offer a couple masses and a couple liturgies of the word on ash wednesday.  I don't know if it's just because <strong>they don't have the capacity to do that many masses, </strong>or (more cynically), they know there are a lot of people that just want the ashes, not the mass.  :( </span>
    Posted by monkeysip[/QUOTE]
    good point. after thinking about it more, that's probably what it is - not enough priests.
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_ash-wednesday-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:087cac42-c069-4863-83d1-d0773ed38069Post:27cb4873-8e93-4627-a977-1e5d275ca480">Re: ash wednesday!</a>:
    [QUOTE]At my Catholic HS, we always received kneeling...there wasn't a physical rail, but we'd just line up in front of the altar area, kneel, and receive.  Then the bishop found out and said we couldn't do that anymore, since that's not how we receive as a diocese.  Of course we obeyed.
    Posted by Resa77[/QUOTE]

That's terrible.  The Bishops have made it clear that kneeling for communion is an accepted practice, and no one can be refused that option.

And yeah, our church has the altar rail too, which we use even for Novus ordo masses.  I LOVE it, and I'm so spoiled I don't like receiving the other way now (but I do when I'm at other churches).  It's sad because we're kind of unhappy with our parish, but we love the altar rail so much, it's one of the big reasons we stay.

SaveSave
  • Until the most recent change, the norm in the US is standing to receive communion, AND it included that someone shouldn't be refused in that moment, but should be informed of the norm later.

Very recently, the norm is standing, but kneeling is allowed.

So the Bishop was correct, at the time, to stop the general practice of it. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_ash-wednesday-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:087cac42-c069-4863-83d1-d0773ed38069Post:5e4b3f8a-376c-4b49-9335-2ccf8e326039">Re: ash wednesday!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Until the most recent change, the norm in the US is standing to receive communion, AND it included that someone shouldn't be refused in that moment, but should be informed of the norm later. Very recently, the norm is standing, but kneeling is allowed. So the Bishop was correct, at the time, to stop the general practice of it. 
    Posted by agapecarrie[/QUOTE]

Was there an exception to the general norm for all the churches that still had altar rails?  That's very weird that the bishops were ever allowed to forbid kneeling, especially since some churches still had the rails all that time.

SaveSave
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards