Outdoor Weddings

DIY Food Ideas

My fiance and I have decided to do the food for our reception ourselves. It is an outdoor reception, and we are thinking of just doing "cold" food...salads, meat trays, etc (to keep things simple and no day-of preparation). I am asking for ideas/recipes and am also wondering how things have gone for other couples who have done this themselves. Did it go smoothly? How much did you spend and for how many people?

Re: DIY Food Ideas

• My soon to be MIL had a reception with meat, cheese and fruit trays and the cake and everyone was saying how hungry they were and the food was gone really fast. After seeing that I will not be doing that idea hope it helps.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Please don't try to do the set up yourself, even if you go that route, it's just to much to do on a day that you should only have to get ready.  I bet if you ask your friends they would be happy to help.  Just make sure you have enough food for your guests. If you have a Costco in your area, they can save you a ton.  Good Luck!
  • as a chef, i would not try to do the food myself....extra stress that is not needed. Any chance of getting someone to do the food for you, or even to have a BBQ or something??
  • My brother and sister-n-law did a potluck style reception, where all the guests bring their favorite dish. It went great and there was a variety to choice from. I've also been to wedding where guest bring their own meat and you cook out, also very fun!!! as for a recipe cucumber salad is great...... it's 2 bottles (for a big crowd) of zesty Italian dressing and cucumbers, tomatoes, and onions but you could add whatever other favorite cold veggies you want really. very delicious!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • my fiance and i are having an outdoor May wedding at a place called The Garden. we are having a fish fry, with fries and hushpuppies. and drinks we are having lemonade and tea. everyone loves fish and it really doesnt cost a whole lot. hope this helps

Congratulations on you engagement!

~Soon-to-be: Mrs. Freeman
    Emmett Rhys~born on October 26, 2012.
  • Pasta salad! :)

Get the tri colored squillled looking pasta, I can't think f the name,
    black olives, a red onion, broccoli,culifllower, cucumber, and some tomatoe.
    chop the veggies into small but not super tiny pieces, mix together with the cooked pasta and pour in zesty itialian dressing. mix it up and there you go. YUMMY! and its really good if you add iin a little itialian seasoning , and make it a day or so before it gets really flavorful!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards