Honeymoon Discussions

NWR: Travel through Canada

My husband and I are traveling through Canada next week. We just got married, so we haven't changed our passports to our new names. If we get new driver's licenses before the trip, will that be a problem?  I thought the border crossing only requires a passport, but DH says they might need to check our passports against our license, which would show different names. 

Thanks!

Re: NWR: Travel through Canada

• I travel through Canada all the time and have only ever had to show my passport at the border.  
    It wouldn't hurt to have a copy of your marriage license if you are requested for a more in-depth conversation with the border agents and they ask to see your drivers license.  I have never been asked for this but it never hurts to be prepared.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • dont get a new license before then and you'l be fine wether they ask for it or not.
    and is DH changing his name too or only you? i only ask because you said you haven't changed your passportS or licenseS yet.

• You shouldn't have to show any identification except a passport. But if you are driving they may ask for it. I would go ahead and get it and bring a copy of your marriage license. No big deal they see that type of thing often.

• We just went to Montreal a couple weeks ago.  We had to show our passports.  I would wait to change your license so that in case they asked for it, they both matched.  
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_nwr-travel-through-canada?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:5908e759-124a-48a6-bc69-9939c1a9a3a1Post:a1b49298-9d5f-4a97-9b99-e493a3be6b45">Re: NWR: Travel through Canada</a>:
    [QUOTE]dont get a new license before then and you'l be fine wether they ask for it or not. and is DH changing his name too or only you? i only ask because you said you haven't changed your passportS or licenseS yet.
    Posted by alithebride[/QUOTE]
    Both of us took each other's last names.<div>
    </div><div>Thank you for all your answers. We need to get our license changed before we go because of other things we need to get done before we leave that needs the new license, but it sounds like we'll be safe with a copy of our marriage license. </div>
  • I have no actual help for your question, just wanted to say Enjoy being in Canada! 

I live in Toronto and have explored a lot of the country so if you need any tips or advice feel free to PM me, otherwise..HAPPY HONEYMOON!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards