Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Asking to borrow something

I'm thinking of asking my aunt if I can borrow something to be ny "something borrowed." Is it tacky to ask her and see what she would let me borrow? 

Re: Asking to borrow something

• Options
    I don't think there is anything wrong with asking to borrow something for your wedding. It all depends on how close you are with your aunt. My godmother is also my aunt and I know she'd be delighted if I asked to borrow something special for my wedding day. Did you have a particular something in mind?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary 
  • Options
    I think earrings would be it. I have a veil, bracelet and necklace already. I'm stumped for something borrowed and would have to leave it open to see what she would let me borrow. I am fairly close to her. I know she would love it if I borrowed something but I wasn't sure if it was ok to outright ask.
  • Options
    I asked my aunt to borrow something of my grandmothers since she had died a few years ago. She offered me a couple of options and I chose the bible she carried on her wedding day.
  • Options
    I think it's ok to politely ask, but keep in mind that once you ask, it's going to be hard to say no if you don't like what she offers.  I don't know what the rest of your accessories look like, but will they go with a lot of different styles of earrings?  Are you willing to give up the necklace if it doesn't work with the earrings?
  • Options
    I think it is fine to ask her if you could borrow a pair of her earrings.

My Mom has a gorgeous tennis bracelet and when it came time to narrow down my accessories I asked her if I could use it as my something borrowed.  She had absolutely no problem with it and was excited that I was going to wear it.

• Options
    I think it's fine to ask.  It may help to let her know what you're hoping to borrow (earrings in your case, maybe you have a preference as to color of metal or stone?)  My something borrowed & blue are my Mom's blue diamond earrings.  I always knew I wanted to wear them for my wedding.
  • Options
    All of my jewelry (brooch for my hair and two bracelets) belonged to my late grandmother and are on loan from my mom. My mom offered them to me, but I don't see a problem asking, especially if you're close. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    People are usually flattered when you ask to borrow something like that for a wedding. :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards