Honeymoon Discussions

Hawaii Honeymoon - Any Radiation Concerns?

We are thinking of going to the Big Island for our honeymoon in a few months, and I was wondering if anyone has information about increased radiation levels as a result of the Japan Fukushima nuclear disaster? I found a recent news item indicating elevated levels of radiation in the milk from the Big Island http://bit.ly/mLRnZ0. Not sure if this is a reliable source by any means or if this is pure paranoia on my part, but I certainly would want to do my research beforehand. Any thoughts?

Re: Hawaii Honeymoon - Any Radiation Concerns?

• There is a good thread on trip advisor on this
    http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28932-i36-k4319714-Radiation-Hawaii.html

Personally I think there is more chance of getting radiation from other things in life than Hawaii! Plane travel exposes you to radiation as does using a microwave.
  • hz80408hz80408 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    No, don't worry about this.
  • kara811kara811 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    Ditto everyone. You'll be fine, and like PP said, you'll get more radiation from the flight. I'm in Japan right now where all this stuff actually is, and everything is okay.
  • I agree with PP's.  Have fun on the BI, it's my favorite :)
    Anniversary
  • I just honeymooned there last month and I haven't started to glow in the dark or anything.  J/K - there are no worries and the BI is incredible!
  • mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    Really?  You do realize that you'll have more exposure to radiation on the flight over to HI than you will from any drift from Japan.
  • Wow.  Just.  .... No words.  None at all. 

At least, none that I'm allowed to say on here.
  • Sealed

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_hawaii-honeymoon-radiation-concerns?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:5b76a0b0-92b1-4af4-bf18-afc329caf907Post:222f2331-0ed4-4f25-8ae9-cef43ab9b191">Re: Hawaii Honeymoon - Any Radiation Concerns?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wow.  Just.  .... No words.  None at all.  At least, none that I'm allowed to say on here.
    Posted by Snippylynn[/QUOTE]

Lest you be banned...again? I say you go for it and I'll work on a new SN for you =)

OP - You'll be okay, sugarplum.
  • If you are worried about radiation, you should make sure to opt out of the TSA screening and ask for a pat-down instead. There has been controversy over the  radiation levels of the machines.

Your tinfoil hat might also come in handy.
  • My FI and I just booked our HM to Oahu, so there better not be any radiation there! I agree with the PP's, and the government has declared it safe to travel there.  And we are going in July so if a few less people are there because of the scare, that's fine with me because July is always a busy month.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_hawaii-honeymoon-radiation-concerns?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:5b76a0b0-92b1-4af4-bf18-afc329caf907Post:57ccf1d6-ced1-42b9-85df-eac96d324511">Re: Hawaii Honeymoon - Any Radiation Concerns?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hawaii Honeymoon - Any Radiation Concerns? : Lest you be banned...again? I say you go for it and I'll work on a new SN for you =) OP - You'll be okay, sugarplum.
    Posted by LDYGTR13[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Okay, I vote Snips new SN is sugarplum.  </div>
  • You'll be fine. Don't worry about the radiation from the flight or anything else and enjoy your honeymoon.
  • Did you buy KCl too when they mentioned that it "might" reach California OP? Sorry, but you're being silly. 
    Planning Bio

Our wedding date is November 12, 2011

110 invited 86 accepted! 20 can't make it 4 haven't responded yet
    RSVP Date October 12th, 2011

• We're going to Oahu in July and I'm not the least bit concerned. You'll be fine. There are bigger things in life to worry about.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards