Students

New... and what to do...

Hi, I'm Sarah.  This is only my second time posting on TK.  I've pretty much been lurking since I got engaged in December.  Anyway, I recently discovered this board and figured this would be the best place to get advice. 
I'm working on my teaching credential and Master's in Special Ed., and I only have a few classes left.  I have to register for summer and fall classes tomorrow, so I'm trying to figure out what to do.  Here is what I have left: 2 classes for my credential, student teaching, 3 classes for my Master's, and Comps (huge test that takes the place of writing a thesis for my Master's). 
Option 1:
This summer: online computer class for credential and research class for Master's
Fall: last cred. class and student teaching
Spring 2011: last two Master's classes
Summer 2011: Comps

Option 2:
This summer: online computer class for cred.
Spring 2011: last 3 Master's classes
Summer 2011: Comps

Option 3:
This summer: online computer class for cred.
Spring 2011: 2 Master's classes
Summer 2011: last Master's class
Fall 2011: Comps

They each have their advantages and drawbacks.  I'm just trying to think of what would work best in terms of finding time for wedding planning.  So far we are thinking of having it Aug. 2011, so I was thinking about trying to get most of the venue visits, dress fittings, major decisions, etc. made this summer.  Has anyone been in a similar situation?  Is it crazy to try to do Comps right before the wedding?  How can I do this most efficiently without going insane?  Any thoughts will be appreciated.
I already made the most important decision- the rest are just details! image

Re: New... and what to do...

• Hey!  Welcome to the board!

Ultimately, it's all your decision.  You know yourself best, so only you can really say if you'll be super stressed out taking comps before the wedding.

I did something very similar to what you're talking about- making big decisions and signing major contracts in the summer before I had med school to deal with, and then the rest came spaced out over the rest of the year.  I'm not stressed at all right now either, FWIW.

If you're planning for August 2011, you've got TONS of time.  Spreading it out like that, I imagine you'll be pretty low-stress around the time of the wedding too because everything is basically done.

Good luck and happy planning!
  • I think you should go with your gut, the first option.  In the end, it will be worth it to only have your comps to worry about that summer!  I am sort of in the same boat as you, but I am writing a thesis.  I'll be defending next Spring and graduating before our wedding in June 2011.  It was worth it for me to take the bulk of my masters classes last semester and this semester while working so that I wouldn't be crazy next year!  Hang in there and good luck!
  • So, I did it.  I registered for the two classes for this summer.  I think I should be fine.  One's an online class about computers and is absurdly easy from what I've heard.  I wish I had taken it last summer when I had less going on, but nothing I can do about it now.  Gotta get it done so I can be ready for comps next summer.  Hmmm, I wonder what it would be like writing a thesis.  We have that option, but for some reason everyone I know in my program just does comps.  What are  you writing your thesis on?  Good luck on all of that.  Isn't it nice to see the light at the end of the tunnel?
    I already made the most important decision- the rest are just details! image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards