August 2012 Weddings

Seeking Nail Biters

What are you doing with your yucky nails on your big day?  I have bitten my nails my whole life and I go through spurts of a month or two where I can stop, but it's usually unintentional, so I don't have confidence it's something I can choose to do for the wedding, though that is my first plan since I have until 8/25.

I have considered having fake nails, but never have, and don't want to necessarily be trying something new on the big day.

Part of me says, screw it, your bitten nails are a part of who you are and why should you re-invent yourself on your wedding day?  FI chose you, bitten nails and all!

But, I keep thinking about that photographer's shot of our hands overlapping showing our wedding rings up close.  I suppose we can always omit that from the album if it's really bad!

Re: Seeking Nail Biters

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_august-2012-weddings_seeking-nail-biters?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:1fb748ee-7a4e-40eb-b4b4-e553486f4cacDiscussion:a8600b88-ea07-4689-86dc-00ed184e5a1aPost:29e94282-9cf0-44c8-86e6-4c8e2072db8c">Seeking Nail Biters</a>:
    [QUOTE] <strong>But, I keep thinking about that photographer's shot of our hands overlapping showing our wedding rings up close.  I suppose we can always omit that from the album if it's really bad!</strong>
    Posted by rungirl12[/QUOTE]

This. I'm not a nail biter, but I pick my nails. It's a habit I've had since at least elementary school, and my nails wind up looking similar to those of a nail biter. I also get really bad hangnails. With the wedding coming, I've been worried about close up hand shots as well. I don't really know what I'm going to do! I'm not planning to have any fake nails for the wedding, but I thought that maybe I would just paint my nails or something. If I can find the time to do that within the next week or so, it will defintely curb my nail picking. Thankfully, my nails grow pretty fast, so if I fix them up soon, they should be decent by the time the wedding comes.

I am definitely going to watch this thread for any other advice, though!
  • calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited July 2012
    I'm a terrible nail biter, and I've had great success with shellac polish.  Give it a try - it's a bit more expensive than normal nailpolish, but doesn't peel if done right (if they paint it on your skin, it will peel though so be sure someone does it right!) so I don't feel the need to pick at it like I do with normal polish.  It also keeps my nails stronger, which prevents breaks & torn edges, which also helps keep me from picking.

Also, keep a pair of clippers and a nail file handy at all times - if you feel that there's a rough edge or a hangnail or a torn cuticle that is going to get you to start picking, clip/file it off right away!  Lots of hand lotion helps, too.

If after a few weeks your nails still look awful, you can consider the acrylic nails. They aren't hard to adapt to, and I've used them in the past.  Just get them to the edge of your finger (so you don't suddenly have super long nails), and have them paint them a very thin tipped french, or all natural pink. 

Anniversary

• I am a terrible nail biter as well.  I got acrylic nails about a week ago and I am so glad I did.  Don't wait till the last minute to get them done because you will still be fumbling over them.  I also had them cut VERY short.  The come over the top of my nail by less than a 1/4 of an inch so it is easy to get use to them.  Again just don't wait till the last minute to get them because you will struggle.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_august-2012-weddings_seeking-nail-biters?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:1fb748ee-7a4e-40eb-b4b4-e553486f4cacDiscussion:a8600b88-ea07-4689-86dc-00ed184e5a1aPost:29e94282-9cf0-44c8-86e6-4c8e2072db8c">Seeking Nail Biters</a>:
    [QUOTE]What are you doing with your yucky nails on your big day?  I have bitten my nails my whole life and I go through spurts of a month or two where I can stop, but it's usually unintentional, so I don't have confidence it's something I can choose to do for the wedding, though that is my <strong>first plan since I have until 8/25.</strong> I have considered having fake nails, but never have, and don't want to necessarily be trying something new on the big day. Part of me says, screw it, your bitten nails are a part of who you are and why should you re-invent yourself on your wedding day?  FI chose you, bitten nails and all! But, I keep thinking about that photographer's shot of our hands overlapping showing our wedding rings up close.  I suppose we can always omit that from the album if it's really bad!
    Posted by rungirl12[/QUOTE]

I've never been a biter but, If you got over two weeks, I swear this will work for you! I put this on one to two times a day in my car and right now my nails look so awesome I might just do a neautral color, no tips added. See the link below that I posted a few months back. I swear by this product, also it smells kinda herbal so maybe that'll help with your biting habits.

<a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_psa-nail-strenghtning-treatment">http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_psa-nail-strenghtning-treatment</a>
    Anniversary
  • Not a nail biter but I have weak nails. Acrylic isn't hard to adjust to. I'm doing schlack polish. My nails have some length right now. I would say at least get a mani and clean them up. I would then paint the clear or a very light color.
    85image 71image 14image
  • I'm a terrible nail biter and I've noticed that each time I put on nail polish I let them grow... well, for a few days, up to a week. So, I'm planning on putting on some nail polish about a week ahead (8/25 here too) and then getting a manicure the day before the wedding. I like my nails longer, I just can't stand it for too long. I'm more concerned with my nails looking nice and tidy than being super long anyway.
    ExerciseMilestone
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_august-2012-weddings_seeking-nail-biters?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:1fb748ee-7a4e-40eb-b4b4-e553486f4cacDiscussion:a8600b88-ea07-4689-86dc-00ed184e5a1aPost:5e2bbd2b-2b2a-46bb-a01d-7ee2b371d8ae">Re: Seeking Nail Biters</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Seeking Nail Biters : This. I'm not a nail biter, but I pick my nails. It's a habit I've had since at least elementary school, and my nails wind up looking similar to those of a nail biter. I also get really bad hangnails. With the wedding coming, I've been worried about close up hand shots as well. I don't really know what I'm going to do! I'm not planning to have any fake nails for the wedding, but I thought that maybe I would just paint my nails or something. If I can find the time to do that within the next week or so, it will defintely curb my nail picking. Thankfully, my nails grow pretty fast, so if I fix them up soon, they should be decent by the time the wedding comes. I am definitely going to watch this thread for any other advice, though!
    Posted by dsquared28[/QUOTE]

<div>I do the same thing! Someone told me once it's actually a form of OCD. Anyway, I picked up some professional grade cuticle oil from a beauty supply store, and I've been using some Cuticle Massage Cream from Sally Hanson a few times a day and it is really helping with the hangnails. Of course, the more nervous I get, the worse I tug at my poor nails, but they seem to be healing a bit faster.</div>
  • edited July 2012
    I use these:  http://www.kissusa.com/636-8668/Everlasting_French_Nails_-_Chip_Free_Manicure

They take 10-15 mins to apply and end up looking gorgeous. I use them anytime I want my hands to look pretty (I use them on my toes as well!)

everyone asks me where I got them done when I do them that way. It's really easy! and CHEAP! Get a pair tomorrow and try them out! they come off in about 7-10 days and then you can reapply in time for the wedding :D
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_august-2012-weddings_seeking-nail-biters?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:1fb748ee-7a4e-40eb-b4b4-e553486f4cacDiscussion:a8600b88-ea07-4689-86dc-00ed184e5a1aPost:dfaecbaf-7659-42e8-bab3-3cf72c2dafa8">Re: Seeking Nail Biters</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Seeking Nail Biters : I do the same thing! Someone told me once it's actually a form of OCD. Anyway, I picked up some professional grade cuticle oil from a beauty supply store, and I've been using some Cuticle Massage Cream from Sally Hanson a few times a day and it is really helping with the hangnails. Of course, the more nervous I get, the worse I tug at my poor nails, but they seem to be healing a bit faster.
    Posted by lclemence[/QUOTE]

Dermatillomania (skin picking) isn't really an OCD thing, but people with OCD are more likely to get it. (I was diagnosed with OCD in 2007, have suffered from that and Trichotillomania (hair pulling (i pull my lashes)) for half my life. 

Good luck kicking that habit - it sucks. I very mildly pick at my skin, nothing like some of those other people who have it. But I tend to yank out ALL of my eyelashes and then start on my eyebrows />.<
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I was a terrible nail bitter until I started getting my nails done and I have been doing this for years.  About 2 years ago money got really really tight and I couldn't afford to have them done once a month and I had them taken off.  As soon as they were gone I went right back to bitting my nails.  I guess it's a nervous habit.  But as soon as our finances straightened up I went right back to having them done again and have found a way to pay for them ever since.  I personally recommend the LCN gel nails.  They are better for your natural nails and they never need polished.  Unfortunately they are more expensive.  But if this is the route that you choose to go down for your big day then just have the nail tech do them "sport" length.  They won't be much longer than the tip of your finger, so the transition won't be as bad for you.  Hope this helps.

image 141 Are ready to party!
    weddingcountdown.com Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm getting fake nails next week.  I'm a horrible nail biter, and even polish doesn't deter it.  I am used to having the acrylics because I have gotten them done before.  It takes a couple of days for me to get back into my regular routine with them, but after a while I don't even notice them.
    knotsigpicture Anniversary
  • I too am a nail biter! Have been my whole life.  After I got engaged (and realized everyone was looking at my hands to see the ring!) I got gel nails put on and I absolutely love them.  The ones |I got are called Biogel and don't look fake at all.  I make sure to cut them very short which makes them look more real and makes sure I can still type and do all the things I need to do.  I get them filled once every 2 weeks (probably could do less but I'm trying hard to keep my hands looking nice).  The most amazing thing is I'm not even tempted to bite them.

Good luck!
  • i am awful too, and acrylic nails don't stop me....they feel heavy and weird to me...my I just got "gel nails" which are a little more expensive but sooo comfortable and even more realistic looking (in my opinion).  I love them.  I got them done sunday (do to nail lady's vacation) and I haven't even been tempted to knaw on off =D
  • Anyone have any tips for a man who bites his nails?  My FI is a terrible nail biter (I had to pull his hand away from his mouth a few times tonight while we were talking to FMIL) and wants to try things to stop before the wedding (8/18).  I doubt he'd do nail polish or fake nails (because he is a guy and is nervous of being made fun of lol), but if you have any other ideas for him that would be awesome!!  Thanks!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards