New York-Hudson Valley

Im engaged! Now looking for venues!

I just got engaged yesterday! yay! but we want to get married next july 3 hopefully. I know venues fill up quickly, and especially it being a holiday weekend, so I'm trying to get on the ball quickly here. I have a couple in mind but I'm not sure on price range and how good the food, decor is etc.  We dont want to go to these places if they are wayy out of our budget.
My fh absolutely loves the Glen Island Harbour Club  but I've heard its crazy expensive. I also want to look into the VIP country club, Seasons in Washington Township, NJ, and my mom loves Villa Barone Hilltop Manor.

Any ideas about the above places? Or other suggestions? I'm so excited yet nervous at the same time!

Re: Im engaged! Now looking for venues!

• edited December 2011
    Villa Barone is kind of expensive. My fiancee and I looked at about...9 place before we picked one that we loved. We were looking at various places for about 2 months, picked our venue 2 weeks ago. We emailed and called places before hand to ask what they charge per person and about the packages and stuff like that. If you don't mind me asking, what is your budget? Our budget was $15,000 and we found quite a few places that were below that. We found out quickly that country clubs were way above our budget, so I can give you some suggestions based on your budget and where you are at. We chose La Mirage in Ulster Park, NY. It's about an hour from my house, but is worth the drive. If you want, you can email me and I can help you as much as I can. Our wedding is going to be July 2011, so it's the day before your planned wedding :)
  • xtina_824xtina_824 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    First off, Congrats! I think you have the right idea about getting on the ball if you want a holiday weekend for next year, they fill up fast. There are a lot of great, reasonably priced places in the area. I know  a lot of the other places in New Rochelle (VIP, Greentree, Beckwith Pointe, Foutainhead) aren't too expensive. I also know Villa Barone is a nice place, JE on this board is getting married there next July 3rd actually (maybe she'll chime in also :)). Good luck with your search!
    BabyFruit TickerWedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011

Seasons in Washington Township was on an episode of "Whose Wedding Is It Anyway?".

218806_0122 - Copy2011-10-239513.10.15 Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011

congrats!

what are you calling "crazy expensive'? what are you looking for in terms of budget? basically how many people are you expecting and what's your budget for venue only, then figure out your pp cost. once you know what the pp cost you're looking at is people can start recommending venues in your budget.

figure out your budget before you start looking at venues, and get a preliminary guest list going.

• edited December 2011
    I'm actually getting Married at Villa Barone Hilltop Manor on July 3, 2011 =)  They do have more than 1 room.  They can do 2 weddings in one day, if it works out for you we could be getting married at the same place on the same day.  So far I am really happy with them and as for the price it was in our buget. How many ppl were you looking to have and how much were you looking to pay per person?

Congrats & Happy Planning!!!!
  • edited December 2011
    LOL..Xtina just saw your post.  We must have been typing at the same time
  • edited December 2011

Thanks for replying so quickly everyone!! Okay so we are thinking about 150-200 people. Trying to cut people off so hopefully closer to the 150 range. As in budget, we havent set an overall budget yet per say, but I'm thinking around $100 - $120 per person. $120 being the limit with tip/tax. But of course if its under $100 I'm sure my father would be happier! We also don't mind having it on a friday night if it's a lot cheaper.

Homegrownlove: Great idea! I am going to email a bunch of places! Thanks!

Psi Chick : Crazy expensive to me is spending more than $ 150 pp. I can't afford that. Especially when you add in the Dj, flowers, photography, etc. It gets too much.

JE9509: We could potentially get married the same day at the same place! We could be bridal buddies haa! So exciting =)

• edited December 2011

That would definitly be exciting!!! Villa Barone should be able to work in your price range they have 3 different level packages, and obviously you can cut out what you don't need.  But July 1st which is a Friday would definitly be cheaper than the Sunday.  Check out both dates and don't be afraid to ask questions.  Good Luck!!!

• edited December 2011
    I got married at VIP and highly highly recommend the venue. Ask for Tom. I was married there on a Friday Nov 6 and paid $120 pp but, as you say above, that included tax, tip, everything! VIP is a gorgeous place and gives super amazing service, so it is a big more expensive, but I will say that they will definitely work with you to negotiate a price. Also, as our day got close, they threw in tons of stuff for free (extra buffet station, martini luge etc). We had 211 people.

Generally speaking, Fridays are cheaper, as are day weddings on Sat/Sun.

Good luck!
  • kristinanddankristinanddan member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Glen Island is definitelly above your budget by a good amount, but there are a number of other very nice venues in New Rochelle.
    imageimageimage
  • edited December 2011
    I know glen island is above our budget.. Ugh i love that place. I'm starting to think this whole planning thing is not gonna be as happy as i thought it would be. More stressful than anything. And now my mom is saying maybe we should wait until 2012 to have a bigger budget. I'm like I've been watching wedding shows obsessing for a year already!! i can't possibly wait 2 more years!! I'm gonna have to make some sacrifices..
  • edited December 2011
    Congrats!! Check out C.V. Rich Mansion.  I got married there May 30th this year and everything was absolutely perfect.  I can't recommend them enough!! They are definitely within your budget, and the food was SO GOOD.  Joanna is really great to work with.  HTH!!
  • edited December 2011
    Hi...I agree with pp that Glen island is out of your range.  However, if you like glen island because of the service, the food, and the look of the ballroom...then check out Fountainhead.  While it is not on the water, they have similar owners/chefs or something like that to the Glen Island so a lot of the food is the same/similar and the service is unbeattable.  I had an absolutely amazing wedding there this past march on a sunday...it was gorgeous...and the food was incredible.  I was within your budget and we had a lot of extras!  Good luck!
    Also some pp mentioned CV Richie mansion...when I went to check this place out it was very expensive...a lot of hidden costs...so beware.
    Also, consider greentree, marina del rae and VIP as other people suggested! And many have had great experiences with Villa Barone Hilltop manor, but also there is Villa Barone in bronx!
  • kahbkahb member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Westchester Manor in Hastings on Hudson is very reasonably priced. I was quoted $95 pp for a friday in october.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    CONGRATULATIONS on your engagement and welcome to the Hudson Valley board!

There are LOTS of beautiful places in the Hudson Valley to have your reception.

But first you need to think about a couple of things.

Like everyone has said budget and the amount of people are really important. But since you already have in mind "around $100 (plus tax and tip) and around 150 people" you are off to a good start.

Now, the next thing that you should figure is - what's more important - the date or the venue?

Reason being, Obviously the venue is important. and so is the date.

But, if you really, really, really want Sunday, July 3, 2011 - you are cutting it close in terms of time. And it might make sense to sit for two hours and call everywhere to see if they are still available on your date. And then whichever places are still available - go check them out. Or ask here for suggestions once you get a narrowed list.

Because it would be horrible to see a place because the girls here recommend it. and you fall in love with it. Only for it to not be available that day you want.

Especially since its a holiday weekend.

And the other thing - is WHERE (geographically) do you ideally want to have it. The places you mentioned are all different areas.

That's all.

We got married last month and had our reception at Putnam National Golf Club in Mahopac (it's the other Mahopac place) Jean Jacques caterers in Pleasantville was the caterer and they have a bunch of estates that they do weddings at.

Good Luck! Enjoy the planning and the venue search!
  • edited December 2011
    I would like to agree about CV Mansion.  I had the same caterers this weekend for my wedding, and the food was amazing.  The setting is beautiful too and they can definitely handle the crowd!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Woodsy62Woodsy62 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Before anything else remember to relax and enjoy your engagement before going crazy with wedding planning.   This is a special time.
  • edited December 2011
    I know this is a special time; I shouldn't be so stressed already.. I think I just got a bit overwhelmed yesterday when everyone at work said Congrats..when are you getting married? Over and over again!!

I feel better today so that's good..I'm going on a cruise on Thursday so I've gotta worry about that first! And to top it off, my fh told me last night he doesnt think july 3rd is a good idea! But i think you and him are both right-- i should worry less about the date b/c the venue is more important to me. So, I could be a bit more flexible with the date..

Also, my cousin got married at the Marina Del Rey..it was great; the food was amazing! She told me she paid $185 pp on a Saturday night though. I almost died! That's too much.. But she did have a lot of extras like a sushi station and venetian hour. And marina del rey is basically in the middle for both our families..

What about villa barone in the bronx?  My fh said the villa barone hilltop manor in mahopac would be too far for our families.
  • Woodsy62Woodsy62 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Everyone always asks first "When is the date???"  It gets so annoying.  Just tell them that you dont know yet and you are enjoying your engagement first!  It can get so stressful and frustrating!

I just went to a wedding this past July 3rd and it was great.  But Im sure any date you pick will be great. 

I agree with the post that said you should figure out your budget before looking because my fiance and I jumped the gun and went to look at the Lyndhurst Castle first...I LOVED it, and then we realized that it was way out of budget, it was really discouraging!

The CV Mansion is around $130 pp for a Saturday night plus $1,500 site fee.  It adds up.  I heard good things about The FountainHead in New Rochelle, Beckwith Point might be a little cheaper than Glen Island but still is beautiful.  Greentree I also heard good things.  Are you only looking in the Westchester area? 

If you go a little north you might find more venues within your budget.  You should check out Anthony's Peir 9, The Grandview in Poughkeepsie, Christos, The Poughkeepsie Grand and Villa Borghese all I believe are within your budget. 
  • edited December 2011

Yup, that's why I don't want to even look at Glen Island if i know its out of our budget. We will fal in love with it, and then the bubble will burst when we sit down to see the pricing.

We are basically looking in westchester bc of the distance for our family. My family is from li and queens, and his family is from new rochelle and then some upstate. I think poughkeepsie will be way to far for my family. And we love westchester! the views on the water are amazing! But I'm thinking we might have to start looking elsewhere- like li. Or even rockland..

• edited December 2011
    long island is going to be the same prices as westchester for the most part.

are you set on a saturday night? think about a daytime wedding or a sunday wedding, the prices are usually a lot cheaper. or go off season (winter) you can get great deals then. you maybe can still get glen island, just on a different day or in the winter time. if you're set on a saturday night in the summer you're going to have to really look around to keep it at the 120 mark, that's prime time wedding season!

good luck :)
  • carolsdaycarolsday member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi and Congratulations !

I'm getting married at Villa Barone Hilltop Manor Sept 1 2012, it was a very easy decision for me as both my brother and sister were married there. There weddings were a few years apart .  The place is unbeleivable , I would definately go see it .

I have some family traveling too , and trust me they dont mind when it's for a place like that . This is your once in a lifetime day , remember to go where YOU want to go . Your pictures will be your everlasting memories , not to mention your guests will never stop talking about how good the food is.

I hope this helps ,  If it's in your thoughts just go see it , so you have no regrets . I agree with your fi don't be so set on one date  , Find the right  place then figure out the date.  Happy Planning  :)
  • edited December 2011

Glad we could help. Figure out the date situation first - you will have a lot more options with a summer sunday than the holiday sunday. And if you are open to a summer wedding (and day doesn't matter) Friday and Sunday weddings are more affordable than saturday night. and saturday daytime (12-5) is often the least expensive.

And like pp said, enjoy the time of being " just engaged!"

• edited December 2011
    SIL got married on a Friday night at Season's.  I don't know exactly what they paid but I think at the best you're going to be on the high range of your budget there.  The food and service were wonderful though and it's pretty if that's your taste.  We got married at Patriot Hills in Stony Point on Sunday July 5 last year and had a wonderful experience and they would be in your price range.  I would def suggest checking both out.  If you are set on a date, you should call and ask about the date and get a general idea of price from each place before you go.  There is wiggle room with the price but there's no need to visit if it is WAY out of your range.  Good luck!
  • kahbkahb member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    marina del ray is $130 for a friday evening and I think villa barone in the bronx has packages for friday starting at $78 pp not including taxes and gratuity.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Word of advise haggle!!! I am getting married at VIP on JUly 8th and our price is not even $100/pp with tax!! We have 180 ppl coming and we are working with Mike. The accounting department is 100% flexible and set up a payment plan for us!! LOVE VIP!!

Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    congrats!  Have fun with all the free food!
    BFP#1: 7/14/10. EDD: 3/19/11--MMC-- D&C 9/2/10.
    BFP#2: 12:22/10.EDD: 8/30/11 C/P 12/25/10
    BFP#3: 10/26/11 EDD: 7/2/12-- Daniel born 7/14/12. My rainbow baby!
    CONGRATS to my TTCAL buddies ZZsMommy, itsmegin and GPickles on their take home babies!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011

thanks ladies!! I'm so excited, we're going to look at VIP and glen island tomorrow! My FI is obsessed with glen island, and even though i know it's out of the budget, i'll look at it just for him.. Plus, we are all over the place with dates, so you never know. I'm so indecisive.. Now, we are saying july 15th 2011, its a friday, and the first day we met..so it means something.. FI likes october also, but if we go in october im in school so no honeymoon until january, which doesnt really bother me, but idk. We were also throwing November into the mix bc we thought maybe the prices would go down a lot if its in november..but then it could always snow you never know.. Then my mom keeps telling me to wait until may 2012..ughh im so confused giving myself a headache!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards