Just Engaged and Proposals

What to do now?

I just recently got engaged (4/1/11) but have been a Knottie member for a while (was a bridesmaid).  Now I'm not quite sure where to start.  We want to get married fairly quicky due to the fact that we are leaving to move to California shortly and would like to be married before then.  Any ideas for such little planning time?  I'm currently a student but will be graduating in May.  My fiance were thinking about the colors ballet pink (I'm a ballerina) and blue (one of our school colors). 

Re: What to do now?

• Congrats!

I would post this on your local Toledo, OH board if you are looking to get married in that area.
  • Congrats first of all.  I'm a former ballerina (stopped after high school unfortunately), I love ballet themed weddings too. 

I would have a dress made that you'd love to dance in.  Flights of Fancy is a wedding blog I used to look at and they did an article on it with great pictures about a year ago, might give you some great ideas.

They actually had the girls in dresses that looked like long flowy ballet costumes with pointe shoes to match!  To die for.  I would love to be on pointe at the altar but fear I wouldn't be able to handle wearing them anymore!

GL!

• Congrats!! That is so exciting! I know it can be overwhelming at first... you just don't know where to start! A good first step is talking with your FI about how big or small you want your wedding to be, and from there you can select locations for the ceremony that can accomodate all of your guests, and also somewhere that represents the two of you and the certain "look" you want for your ceremony. Also, some reception sites can also do ceremonies, so you can start there as well. In fact, it may even be wise to do that because for me we had to book the reception site more in advance, as i imagine it will be for alot of places. Its all ffun and games after that!

My mom helped alot with the panning. We still picked the ceremony and reception site and stuff, but she made alot of phone calls and stuff. She was basically my wedding planner lol. There are pros and cons to that. Sometimes I wish she would have just given us some money and let us plan it because I felt like she was trying to plan the whole thing, ya know? But I also know I would have been totally lost without her help, so I'm very greatful. Is anyone helping you or are you doing it all on your own?

Good luck and let us know if we can help with anything!Smile
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • Congrats!  as a PP said the first thing you want to do is discuss the overall feel with your fiance.  big vs small, church or no church, and budget! (never forget budget).  once you've got an idea you want to make your guest list - you'd be surprised how quickly it can grow, so make sure you know your target size.  Then you can start looking at venues and other vendors!

The big thing for planning quickly, in my opinion, is to not try to do everything!  There are so many little details, DIY projects, etc. that you COULD do, but are really not important.  Pick what's important to you (dress? flowers? photographer?) and make sure you get those done - the rest is just fluff.

Happy Planning!
  • Thanks Everyone for all the advice so far.
  • Remember the most important thing is that you share this special day with the people you love and who love you. Small Weddings are very special. Don't sweat the small stuff and remember to focus on having the best day possible.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards