Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

What do you think of this menu? (XP)

I posted this on my "home" board (MB) a few days ago, but would like some more input as to what people think of this menu. My wedding is at 2pm, so we're doing a cocktail/appetizer reception from about 3 (it's a Catholic wedding, but not a full Mass) until about 7 pm. So we want it to be enough food, but we're doing it mainly as pick-ups. We're providing non-alcoholic drinks (punch, iced tea, lemonade, water, coffee) as well as wine, beer, and champagne. 

Here's the menu:
Gourmet Cheese Tray with Seasonal Fruits
Antipasto Platter (meats, cheese, probably some veg/olives)
Assorted Artisan Breads
Caprese Crostini
Goat Cheese Torta
Phyllo Cups with Caramelized Onion and Brie
Grilled Beef Skewers with Chimichuri
Pasta Primavera with Garden Veggies and Basil Oil

When I got the e-mail with the proposed menu I sent it to my mom, and her only objection is that it seems like a lot of cheese and bread and maybe not enough protein or fresh veggies. I know we could add a veggie tray (either through the caterer or bring in our own, which he is fine with), or a dip of some kind.  I'm wondering about getting rid of the pasta, which seems to be a more sit down thing, and replace it with some sort of chicken. The main reason the caterer gave me for the pasta was that it could be a vegetarian option. I feel as though there are already a fair amount of options with no meat. We don't have any vegetarians, that we know of, but there are going to be a fair number of kids under ten, as well as some very plain eating adults (including, bless him, my Dad), and it's more important to me that there's something they want to eat. 

Right now we're at $16 a person, but I don't want to push it much higher. I know chicken or another meat option might cost a little more, but I feel like if we got rid of the pasta that it would offset a little. I'm also worried that no one ever eats the fruit and cheese trays and that they're a giant waste of money. Anyone have any opinions on that? 

Re: What do you think of this menu? (XP)

• Options
    Personally, I would like the pasta, but I don't eat meat.  I also think that it will make it feel a bit more meal-ish than having a bunch of finger foods (I think that's a good thing).  Could you have some grilled chicken on the side, so people could add it to the pasta themselves?  It also looks like some chicken fingers with dipping sauce could be a good addition to your menu--plainer, and good for the kids.  

I think that the fruit and veggie platters do get eaten--I am pretty sure they did at our wedding, and my family always goes for them--so if you can bring it in yourself, I would add that on, too.  
  • Options
    I think you need a salad in there, too.
  • Options
    I disagree about the salad.  For this type of wedding that seems unnecessary and probably wouldn't be touched.    I agree about cutting the pasta. I'd either add chicken skewers or some sort of mini sandwiches: sliders, mini muffalettas, mini cubans, etc.  Something that's easy to pick up and eat and also filling. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_what-do-you-think-of-this-menu-xp?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:0cc066c5-2fef-4a24-91be-0eb5697caa05Post:c25f31ea-6465-4cd9-9d68-bdb2d28cbc55">Re: What do you think of this menu? (XP)</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>I disagree about the salad.  For this type of wedding that seems unnecessary and probably wouldn't be touched.    I agree about cutting the pasta. I'd either add chicken skewers or some sort of mini sandwiches: sliders, mini muffalettas, mini cubans, etc.  Something that's easy to pick up and eat and also filling. </strong>
    Posted by NOLAbridealmost[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>This and I agree that you should add some grilled veggies.  Everything sounds delicious! 

</div>

May 2013 February Siggy: Invitations

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Does seem like a lot of cheese.  I would cut out the pasta.  Seems out of place for a cocktail reception.  What about mini crab cakes? 
  • Options
    You're crossing over dinner, so it really needs to be substantial enough.  I think a chicken side is necessary.  I would also add a starch, maybe some kind of potato.  Whenever I see sample menus, I try to think not only what I think of it, but what my FI would think.  As a typical guy, he eats more than I do, and some cheese, bread and antipasta is not going to do it for him for dinner.  The only thing that would be filling to him would be the beef and pasta.  I would definitely add a few more things to round it out.

You want people to leave feeling full, not headed to McDonald's afterwards to eat dinner. 
  • Options
    Thanks a lot everyone, you've pretty much articulated what I was thinking. I'm going to call him tomorrow and see if we can cut the pasta. I'm going to see about adding some sort of chicken with maybe a couple of dipping sauces so that people can have it to their liking. We had talked about potatoes, and I think they're delicious, but I feel like the problem we run into there is the same as the pasta; that it feels like more of a sit-down thing. Any suggestions on how to make a starch like that more portable without making it too fancy/expensive?

My mom is now worrying that we should just do things ourselves or get less, but, as PP mentioned, we're going over into meal territory once we hit 6 or 7, and I want people to have enough to eat. I don't think we can do that ourselves (for 100, give or take) without a major headache. 
  • Options
    If you want to have potatoes, a mashed potato bar where the potatoes are served in martini glasses or other small dishes seems like an appetizer food to me, rather than part of a sit down meal.
  • Options
    what about a stuffed mini red potato? that is one item we were going to have, small potato that is stuffed with cheese, etc. However, this does add more cheese to your menu ;)
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Menu sounds really good!  I, too, would eliminate the pasta - perhaps a fruit selection, like you said (they can dress it up a bit, if you like - put in hollowed out watermelons, pineapple, maybe add some carved fruits, depending on how formal it's to be) and a veggie selection - best one I ever had was a lovely selection (including squash, zucchini, asperagus) that were balsamic-marinated and grilled and highly addictive!!!

Good luck!
  • Options
    Does seem like a lot of bread and cheese. I would do either the artisan bread or crostini but not both. Maybe lose the antipasto platter to stay within budget and add chicken (not everyone eats red meat). I like the pasta. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards