Chit Chat
Options

i wanna be an extreme couponer...

i don't know about you, but i am all about saving' the money...

my oldest daughter and i wathc this show'extreme couponing' on TLC - maybe you've heard of it... 

all i think about is 'wow, wish i had the patience for that'...

they make it look so easy.  i clip coupons but i never seem to find any for the things they buy - paper towels, toilet paper, eggs, meat...the only coupons i ever see are fordog food, cat food, and hair dye...lol...

sorry, just had to vent a little...
Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Re: i wanna be an extreme couponer...

• Options
    I am all about saving money too but I definitely do not want or have space for a crazy, large stockpile.

I believe those extreme couponers are ridiculous.  They buy things just to buy them because they can get them for a penny, not because they actually need them.  And that show is dumb because it never shows them buying any fresh fruits or vegetables only boxed or processed foods.

Also, don't a lot of these boxed foods or whatever else they buy have expiration dates?  The one show had a lady buying 100+ yogurts.  How the hell many people live in her house that they can eat that many yogurts in 2 months?

• Options
    Not to mention that they clear out the shelves, leaving nothing for the ordinary shopper that's only looking to buy the 1 or 2 that they need.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_i-wanna-be-an-extreme-couponer?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:2c36fe9f-d346-42da-80a1-0a9506d9f8ebPost:bac08af6-2ee0-4784-8ba9-dcba8a24111a">Re: i wanna be an extreme couponer...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Not to mention that they clear out the shelves, leaving nothing for the ordinary shopper that's only looking to buy the 1 or 2 that they need.
    Posted by MrsKathyC[/QUOTE]

If I was in a store and saw someone do this I would sneakily take a few items out of their cart so that it would completely mess up their coupon count!

• Options
    There's nothing wrong with combining coupons and sales to save money, but the people who clear the shelves, leaving nothing for other shoppers, block the aisles with their train of carts, and tie up a register for hours are really obnoxious.  I think for most of the people on the show, couponing has crossed from thriftiness into mental illness.

The thing that really gets under my skin on that show is that most of them don't have reusable bags.  Seeing all that plastic gives me the vapors.  You'd think with all that stockpiling they do, they might acquire a few cloth bags.
  • Options
    ha ha i would so do that too...i don't think i would ever have a stock pile like that, but maybe enough to last my family of 6 a month or 2...
  • Options
    I watched like 10 episodes in a row once, and it seemed like the majority of the extreme couponers donated the products they bought to soup kitchens, food banks, homeless shelters, or put together packages to send to troops overseas.   Most them weren't just stockpiling to stockpile.   And several of them made the point that if you can make money on buying boxed/processed food, then that balance means you essentially get your meat/eggs/milk/produce for free.
    DSC_9275
  • Options
    I've only watched that show a couple of times, but I did see that some of them donate a lot of the food to food banks and charities. But yes, it is a bunch of crap food generally that's not good for anyone.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_i-wanna-be-an-extreme-couponer?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:2c36fe9f-d346-42da-80a1-0a9506d9f8ebPost:88aaf724-d06f-41c2-a03c-ce975aad0508">Re: i wanna be an extreme couponer...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I watched like 10 episodes in a row once, and it seemed like<strong> the majority of the extreme couponers donated the products they bought to soup kitchens, food banks, homeless shelters, or put together packages to send to troops overseas.</strong>   Most them weren't just stockpiling to stockpile.   And several of them made the point that if you can make money on buying boxed/processed food, then that balance means you essentially get your meat/eggs/milk/produce for free.
    Posted by Avion22[/QUOTE]

Honestly, I think they only do that to make themselves look good and less crazy on television.

• Options
    I understand they they do donate a lot, which is commendable, but most of them still have enough body wash in their basement to last the next 40 years.  I think they could probably leave some of that on the shelf for the rest of us.
  • Options
    I did see an episode once where the woman actually put boxes together of all the different ammenties and took them to a woman's shelter - she would only coupon for items for women and babies...and her entire stockpile was for this purpose and not for her family.  i thought that was one of the best episodes.

while i will never actually be a 'extreme couponer' in the sense of the tv show, i will go a bit crazy if people mess with my little blue tag-along puch i carry them all  in...my kids like to play hide and seek with it...drives me nuts.

i also think it's all crap and completly scripted - much like most of the shows on TLC.
  • Options
    Maybe they should have a combined Extreme Couponing Hoarder edition?? For all the freaks with 40 years of body wash...among other disturbing things...in their basements.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_i-wanna-be-an-extreme-couponer?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:2c36fe9f-d346-42da-80a1-0a9506d9f8ebPost:653ddd46-b884-4647-b266-a51c8ab404c8">Re: i wanna be an extreme couponer...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've only watched that show a couple of times, but I did see that some of them donate a lot of the food to food banks and charities. But yes, it is a bunch of crap food generally that's not good for anyone.
    Posted by balletdawn[/QUOTE]

They make their money re-selling (illegally) at flea markets and Craigs Lists
    They're all fat and ugly IMO
  • Options
    OK, so let’s be real. Just like the majority of weddings in the universe are not like those on Four Weddings, the majority of couponers are not like those on Extreme Couponing. Actually, true couponers hate the show because not only does it make them look crazy, but it’s a misrepresentation. There have been several articles written about some of the wrong things they’ve done. Sometimes stores will bend their rules & let them get away with things, just for the publicity of the show. That’s not how it works in real life. I’m an avid couponer & have saved a boatload since we got married. I do NOT devote anywhere near that time & do not have a massive stockpile, yet I’ve saved over $900 since May at my grocery store. I only buy items that I want & will use (unless it’s a pet item, then I’ll donate it). You’d be surprised at how much you can save. I shop at my local Shop Rite which doubles coupons (YEY!) and also offers store coupons that you can stack. I get some great deals and usually save 40-60% off each order. I do have a modest binder to keep everything organized, but it’s not like the ladies on the show.  I use KrazyCouponLady.com or LivingRichWithCoupons.com to get the deals. They do sale/coupon matchups for most of the major stores. Just find your store & they’ll tell you where you can find a coupon for that item. They also have a lot of educational stuff to help you save time & get the best deals. It’s awesome.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_i-wanna-be-an-extreme-couponer?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:2c36fe9f-d346-42da-80a1-0a9506d9f8ebPost:d048b058-dd01-47c5-a64c-2680f12a6322">Re: i wanna be an extreme couponer...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: i wanna be an extreme couponer... : They make their money re-selling (illegally) at flea markets and Craigs Lists They're all fat and ugly IMO
    Posted by IamTheMommaOfTheBride[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure what anyone's appearance has to do with any of this.  Extreme couponing is no less irritating when done by an attractive person.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_i-wanna-be-an-extreme-couponer?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:2c36fe9f-d346-42da-80a1-0a9506d9f8ebPost:d048b058-dd01-47c5-a64c-2680f12a6322">Re: i wanna be an extreme couponer...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: i wanna be an extreme couponer... : They make their money re-selling (illegally) at flea markets and Craigs Lists <strong>They're all fat and ugly IMO</strong>
    Posted by IamTheMommaOfTheBride[/QUOTE]

That was pretty uncalled for.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I've read that those extreme couponers have to call the stores ahead of time b/c they're not going to carry 100 sticks of deoterant or whatever they're buying in bulk.  Those people seem a little nutty to me.  I'm all for coupons.  I use them myself.  But, anything taken to the extreme is not good. Geez, I was psyched the other day when my cereal was on sale 2 boxes for $6 and then I had a $1.50 off coupon.  I got two boxes for $2.25 each when they're typically almost $4/box.  
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_i-wanna-be-an-extreme-couponer?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:2c36fe9f-d346-42da-80a1-0a9506d9f8ebPost:ca3cd145-59c6-4c2a-808d-2dcb343a3dca">Re: i wanna be an extreme couponer...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've read that those extreme couponers have to call the stores ahead of time b/c they're not going to carry 100 sticks of deoterant or whatever they're buying in bulk.  Those people seem a little nutty to me.  I'm all for coupons.  I use them myself.  But, anything taken to the extreme is not good. Geez, I was psyched the other day when my cereal was on sale 2 boxes for $6 and then I had a $1.50 off coupon.  I got two boxes for $2.25 each when they're typically almost $4/box.  
    Posted by MrsGandthebeag[/QUOTE]

<span style="font-family:'Arial','sans-serif';font-size:12pt;"><font color="#000000">And you’re right, most do pre-order when they get large quantities. You see the manager bringing it to them at the checkout. My dad manages a supermarket & they were asked if they’d let them film an episode there. They said no because they’ve been fighting too much coupon fraud lately & didn’t want to deal with anymore. </font></span>
  • Options
    divinemsbeedivinemsbee member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited August 2012
    Yeah, like R said, it says at the beginning of lots of those shows that the management of the store they're going to shop at has changed the rules for that day for them. Which I think is really stupid. I think it gives people a false idea of what can be accomplished in a single trip to most groceries.

I also see no reason for a teenage boy to have hundreds of boxes of pads and tampons, talk about something that would be really appreciated if donated to a shelter. That's one thing that most women are pretty brand loyal about (anecdata: most women I know have a specific brand and type they use), so it's unlikely any future significant other would use all of that. Donating it to a women's shelter would be the best thing. I've seen ones where people donate, but they often have such huge stockpiles anyway I agree with PP that they seem to be doing it for the cameras.

I actually did get into a stare-down a couple of months ago with this women who was clearing the shelves of a specific cat food that my cat eats. It had an additional coupon on the bag and she had all but about 5 bags of it in her carts with a ton of other stuff. I yoinked one from the end of aisle and she gave me such an evil look. I know she may have been donating it, but I needed the one bag. 

I've also been stuck behind one checking out at 2pm on a Saturday. The grocery store is already such madness at that time, I wasn't in a huge rush to get anywhere, but you could feel the hate coming off of some other people in line, especially as she had about 7 separate transactions. 

• Options
    I like watching the show, however these people never purchase anything fresh and healthy because you don't get coupons for produce.  All they buy are processed foods which are terrible for you. 
  • Options
    I always wondered about the rules on that show. Almost every coupon I see for any kind of body item (deodorant, shampoo, etc.) says "excludes trial version," yet I saw one episode where a lady bought like 50 travel Pantenes that cost $.80, then she used her coupons for $1.00 off, and the store actually gave her back the difference in cash. I thought those coupons couldn't be used for tiny bottles which are usually priced at under $1, and I have never heard of stores paying customers to buy their products.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_i-wanna-be-an-extreme-couponer?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:2c36fe9f-d346-42da-80a1-0a9506d9f8ebPost:cd2fe445-8cfa-47da-aafa-12e58119e0f3">Re: i wanna be an extreme couponer...</a>:
    [QUOTE]OP- So you want to be crazy?  Why? In Response to Re: i wanna be an extreme couponer... : Calm down.  OP said she wanted to be an Extreme couponer, which is exactly what is shown on those shows.  No one is saying all couponers act this way, but EXTREME couponers do, because that's what gets them the extreme part of the title.
    Posted by LingerLonger1[/QUOTE]

Don't worry, I'm calm. But my comment still stands because the majority of 'extreme' couponers are still not like what you see on the show for the many reasons listed. Those types of savings are not typical for extreme couponers. Plus, they don't account for the cost of receiving all of those coupons. Some do the dumpster diving just for the show, but a lot of them buy the newspapers or buy coupons on an online clippping service. But if they included that in the price they paid, it isn't as dramatic of a result on the show. Like most other shows, it's embellished for the drama.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_i-wanna-be-an-extreme-couponer?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:2c36fe9f-d346-42da-80a1-0a9506d9f8ebPost:cd2fe445-8cfa-47da-aafa-12e58119e0f3">Re: i wanna be an extreme couponer...</a>:
    [QUOTE]OP- So you want to be crazy?  Why? In Response to Re: i wanna be an extreme couponer... : Calm down.  OP said she wanted to be an Extreme couponer, which is exactly what is shown on those shows.  No one is saying all couponers act this way, but EXTREME couponers do, because that's what gets them the extreme part of the title.
    Posted by LingerLonger1[/QUOTE]

Guess that was a poor attempt at sarcasim...
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_i-wanna-be-an-extreme-couponer?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:2c36fe9f-d346-42da-80a1-0a9506d9f8ebPost:baaa1b46-700c-46f5-ba51-ba156b03cc16">Re: i wanna be an extreme couponer...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I always wondered about the rules on that show. Almost every coupon I see for any kind of body item (deodorant, shampoo, etc.)<strong> says "excludes trial version," yet I saw one episode where a lady bought like 50 travel Pantenes that cost $.80, then she used her coupons for $1.00 off, and the store actually gave her back the difference in cash . </strong>I thought those coupons couldn't be used for tiny bottles which are usually priced at under $1, and I have never heard of stores paying customers to buy their products.
    Posted by Ali092011[/QUOTE]

Sometimes, if you read the fine print, it'll state the size allowed (ex. 3oz). So if the travel sizes are 3oz or larger, then the coupon is still valid (most of the time).

I had a lady at Target not allow me to use a couple coupons once, because the store would owe me money (like .60 and it would have gone to the total purchase price anyways, plus, they would have gotten the money back once the store redeemed the coupon), but she had a heck of a fit and the manager was MIA. So it also depends on the store/employees as well.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    In Response to Re:i wanna be an extreme couponer...:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: i wanna be an extreme couponer...:I always wondered about the rules on that show. Almost every coupon I see for any kind of body item deodorant, shampoo, etc. says "excludes trial version," yet I saw one episode where a lady bought like 50 travel Pantenes that cost .80, then she used her coupons for 1.00 off, and the store actually gave her back the difference in cash . I thought those coupons couldn't be used for tiny bottles which are usually priced at under 1, and I have never heard of stores paying customers to buy their products.Posted by Ali092011Sometimes, if you read the fine print, it'll state the size allowed ex. 3oz. So if the travel sizes are 3oz or larger, then the coupon is still valid most of the time. I had a lady at Target not allow me to use a couple coupons once, because the store would owe me money like .60 and it would have gone to the total purchase price anyways, plus, they would have gotten the money back once the store redeemed the coupon, but she had a heck of a fit and the manager was MIA. So it also depends on the store/employees as well. Posted by NcsuPsych[/QUOTE]

Target's bad about that. I bring a printed copy of their coupon policy when I shop there. They are supposed to adjust the price for you so that you get the item for free with no cash back. I've found that young cashiers are most likely to hit "override" and not hassle you at all.

Yep, I'm that chick. I don't clear shelves or stockpile my basement, and I let people cut in front of me at checkout if I have a million coupons. :high fives rlavach:

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards