40-Plus Brides

Didja miss me? And update on daughter's wedding

I finally got back here after a whirlwind trip to Oregon to see my daughter.  During my trip, we scouted out a couple of potential venues, she picked a venue (not one of the ones I saw), she picked a caterer, we looked at dresses, and she sent out STDs.  And somewhere in there, I went on one 24-mile bicycle trip with a group out there, and another 21-mile bicycle trip with my daughter to see her FI's winery.  (It's a small winery, but the wine is good enough so that their wine was served to President Obama on a recent trip to that area.)  I also managed to work out at the Y for two hours just before leaving on my trip, and had two work-outs at the Y while I was there.  I got home, and slept for 24 hours straight to recover from my "vacation."

For those who are interested, the wedding is September 22 and her venue is the Miller Farm Retreat.  She'll have both the ceremony and reception there (although she has a back-up in case of rain with a local town hall).  There are cabins there for the immediate families and the wedding party for the night before the wedding and the wedding night, and other guests who don't want to be driving after drinking will be able to pitch tents or bring RVs. 

The menu will be a choice of salmon or butternut squash ravioli (which they were able to do for $20 a person--can I just say I'm jealous?).  And her FI is getting champagne and wine, some from his winery and some from other wineries he knows in the area.

She's looking for a tea-length dress, as she doesn't want anything long enough to drag in the mud.

Oh, and for those interested in cake (that's all of us, right?):  She's making ten cake stands from log sections.  She'll then have ten different friends make different cakes.  The matching cake stands will tie them all together visually, but people will have lots of choices of cake.

Re: Didja miss me? And update on daughter's wedding

• Wow!  Sounds like a neat wedding & reception.  I like her cake "vision."

Re:  tea length.  I always thought it was about ankle length or just above the ankle.  After watching Yes to the Dress Bridesmaid I noticed that when they describe the dress as tea length, it always hits the girl just below the knee.  I guess I am stuck in the 80's.
  • Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    Holy moly!  I'm exhausted just listening to all you accomplished (wedding and workout) in Oregon and yes, those prices are to die for.  It sounds like your daughter has a good handle on what's needed to get things done.  The cakes?  Lovely!

For what it's worth, I have always thought of (bought and worn) tea length as striking below the bottom of the calf muscle, a couple (or so) inches above the ankle.  Marrin, I think that show you watched is out of touch.
  • Wow, 2d that's a lot to squeeze in.  I am impressed and may have to take a nap just thinking of all that.  Wink

I was thinking of tea length at one time for my big day.  When someone says tea-length bridal gown I see something like this in my head:

Image of Winnie
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • 2d, that sounds so exciting!  OR/WA is where I grew up, and hopefully will move back there next year.  September is a beautiful time of year out there. 

The wedding plans sound amazing - I really love the cake idea.  How fun that will be!  Glad to hear you had a great time/trip out there.
    Anniversary
  • 2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    maglinpa:  Where did you find that dress?  It is really lovely!
  • It's Fancy Bridal.  Here is the link: 

http://fancybridalny.com/index.php/Store
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards