Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

NYE Wedding - Appetizer # advice

Hi girls I am getting married on NYE - Ceremony start time isn't until 8:30 pm.

Because of this we are going wth mini apps (passed & stations) from 9-10 and then a smaller "midnight snack"

My total numbers are looking like 152. And I need some advice regarding how much of each item we should order - because the hotel is advising one per person (but admitting they aren't sure with this type of menu) and I think that might be a bit much - consider its more of a "party" atmosphere and we are thinking most people will go out to eat first, etc.

Here are the menu items - please advise - greatly appreciated :)

Mini Sliders
Mini Chicken & Beef Tacos
Mini Pretzels on a stick
Mini Grilled Cheese Triangles in Tomato Soup
Shot glass with french fries
Mini Baked Potato
Shot glass with celery / carrots
Salad on a stick (olive, feta, tomato)
Chicken wing lolipop
Jumbo Shrimp in a shot glass with cocktail sauce

ANY advice on this would be greatly appreciated - I'm just not 100% sold on needing 1 per person of everything?!

Thanks in advance!

Re: NYE Wedding - Appetizer # advice

• Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2012
    For a NYE wedding I would expect a big blow out of a party with a crap ton of food available all night and drinks. I am guessing your party will be going past midnight and that alcohol will be involved.  If this is incorrect please let me know.

As for your guests eating before hand, yes they probably will, but they probably will not eat a huge meal because they will assume that food will be provided at your event.  If I were to attend your wedding I would eat a PB sandwhich  before leaving and then fill up on the food you are providing.

I really think that 1 app per person of each item is not enough to be honest.  Think about it, your guests will only get 10 small, one bit apps for your entire reception.  That is not enough food to supplement the alcohol or length of your reception.  I understand you will have a "midnight snack" but you have to fill your guests enough for them to make it to your midnight snack.

I also don't think that only providing the apps for an hour is enough either.  That hour will past fast and your guests will be greating each other, getting a drink, settling into their seats, and then trying to find the waitstaff with the passed apps and before they know it all the food will disappear.

In my circle, people expect a lot more out of a NYE wedding.  I would suggest at least 3 items per person and have them available all night long.  If you were to have a NYE party at home many times you would have apps and such available all night so people can snack, drink, talk, dance, snack, drink, talk, dance, repeat, repeat, repeat.  You wouldn't say after an hour take away all the food and be like, "sorry no more food until midnight".

• For a NYE wedding, I think you need to take the "mini" out of everything.  Have the full size portions and platters of them.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_nye-wedding-appetizer-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:afc19e8d-0fb4-457e-a6ad-7a92f6143533Post:50920edb-5fc2-4852-a6b4-0438bdf33cac">Re: NYE Wedding - Appetizer # advice</a>:
    [QUOTE]For a NYE wedding, I think you need to take the "mini" out of everything.  Have the full size portions and platters of them.
    Posted by GoodLuckBear14[/QUOTE]

<div>This is an even better idea.  Take what you think you would need for a random saturday wedding and then double or even triple it.  You should also have an amazing dessert table as well.</div>

• I think people tend to try at least one of everything, and eat 2 or 3 of what they really like at a standard event.  For a holiday / special date, like NYE, I agree with PP that folks are likely to eat even more. 
  • edited December 2012
    I agree with Maggie. NYE weddings need to be pretty swank. On NYE I usually don't eat dinner at dinner time, unless I'm going out for a meal. Usually it's just apps/cheese and crackers/something light at home before hitting whatever party or bar/restaurant I'm going to for the night - usually at 8 or 9 pm. Then I expect to be eating, because I also expect to be drinking. I am going to an NYE party at my favorite bar this year, and they are including a whole entree of your choice in the price of the ticket - and the party starts at 9pm.

Most likely I would try one of everything that looked good, and go get a second of what I really liked.

If these are passed, you need to have them passed the whole time. At my own wedding I got ONE passed app during cocktail hour (okay, I came into cocktail hour half way through, but still - people can't fill up their plate on their own with passed apps). I would also have a stationary display, like cheese, crackers, vegetables, fruit, and dips.

ETA: I saw you are having some stations, so that's good. I'd still do one or two that's more substantial.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • I agree with the others - for New Year's Eve, the food needs to be lavish and plentiful all night long.  See what quantity the hotel suggests for a standard heavy apps cocktail party.  I would never eat a full dinner before coming to something like this - I would expect to fill up at the party.
  • lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2012
     Most of my friends and I  have dinner at 8 pm on normal basis.  Holding off until 8:30 is not waiting very long.   My family/friends who eat earlier would just have a later lunch thinking they would have a full meal later.   1 app person would not be enough for our crowd.

NYE need to be blow outs in my world.

ETA - I forgot to say, one reason you need more than 1 per person is someone will come up and for example, take 2 shrimp (an average party will go through 3-4 per person).  Now, If half the guests take 2 shrimp, that would mean half the guests will get none. 

You could be setting yourself up for a lot of people getting nothing to eat because others took more than 1 of the item.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I second everyone's advice.  If you have to, I'd suggest having fewer options, but 3-4 pp of each option.
  • edited December 2012
    Do you have vegetarians?  If so, you need more heavier vegetarian things.  I agree with the PPs that this needs to be dinner, and it needs to be extravagant since it's NYE.  If I came to your wedding (I don't eat meat), I would have grilled cheese and 2 kinds of potatoes as my meal.  I would add a vegetarian taco and a vegetarian slider (black bean burger or mushroom).  

Even if people don't usually eat late, they may go out to eat later on New Year's than a regular day since restaurants do long, fancy meals with countdowns.  I would be surprised if anyone went out for dinner before your wedding.
  • NYCMercedesNYCMercedes member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2012
    The menu is making me hungry! If you are not serving a plated meal, then the appetizers are the meal. That means served for hours or even all evening up to your midnight snack. I think you need a fruit or two, such as melon and prosciutto or bacon and scallops. Continuing with a healthful app, you need more green veggie choices, such as garnished cuke rounds or garnished endive slices. Next think about what the big guy eaters are going to need to fill up and you need three or four for each per person of what you expect the popular ones: definitely the shrimp and the sliders. Add to that two or three per person each of the next most popular ones: tacos and another hearty choice. Finally, you have a large list. Ask the catering manager what they do best. I just wonder if fries would be crispy or soggy. It sounds like a great party.
  • Ditto what everyone said, and I'd also ditch the french fries in a shot glass and carrots/celery in a shot glass. I'd come up with a few more apps or just have a lot more of what you already got.
  • Your wedding is in 17 days and you haven't finalized your menu??

• YEP ... AHHHH my wedding is actually 15 days away now, eeek. And I defintely have my menu finalized :) I was just looking for number advice regarding the number of app items I should order - I think its possible, that PP's might have thought I was looking for menu advice / opinions - but that wasn't the case - simply looking for # advice ;) Hoping someone might have served this type of menu before and could advise.

FI & I are actually pretty close with about 85% of the guest list and all are aware of the style of the wedding :) It's VERY non traditional, we were really going for a "NYE Party - there just happens to be a quick ceremony at" feel. The invitations were really fun and conveyed that -- even suggested some of our favorite restaurants in the city to make reservations at prior to the ceremony :) So people should be pretty aware -- this isn't a wedding they will be attending for lavish all night face stuffing :) Just an open bar, with fun snack foods, dancing, games, photobooth...etc.

I have definitely finalized my menu - and actually sampled it all - its AWESOME! And regarding the sogginess - I totally agree, that is why I am planning to have some butler passed vs. stations (so the fries will only come out fresh, same with grilled cheese triangles & not all will be sitting in ketchup for those who dislike ketchup, etc).

We decided to up the number of some of the more hearty foods (ie: sliders, tacos, shrimp, chicken wings) and leave the others at 1 per person. And the hotel has advised me that if I run out of anything - they can just consult my wedding planner to see if its necessary to add more - no worries :)

As for the late night snack -- we are assuming atleast the number of folks who booked a room and a bit more will stay for this portion of the evening, so we are keeping this at one per person too & will be serving mini pancake stacks, mini donuts with cappuccino, and carmalized bacon. YUM. Additionally, throughout the night..snack mixes, etc will be available. AND we aren't serving CAKE - YIKES I'm really breaking some wedding rules huh? Mini desserts will be available all night, including have pints of AMAZING local ice cream :)

Regarding the vegetarian advice - I appreciate that, I do actually have 3 vegetarians in attendance and I have discussed the menu with them & even asked if they would like me to add anything in particular (at one point there was actually a black bean slider in the mix) but all said they were fine with grilled cheese, potatos, etc. Also - I definitely have considered and added non alcoholic drink options, as well as, a super cute milk & cookie toast for the few children (mainly my cute nieces) who will be in attendance.

Thanks for all your advice - I really appreciate you taking the time to respond :) And now I totally understand why the city boards have shifted to facebook pages - you girls are FANTASTIC at trying to give a girl a heart attack 3 weeks prior to her wedding...completely understandable though, my fault - you didn't have enough context to properly advise.

Hope you have a fantastic holiday season, that includes attending a NYE party that serves a menu that knocks your socks off (or else I feel bad for the host ;)

• edited December 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_nye-wedding-appetizer-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:afc19e8d-0fb4-457e-a6ad-7a92f6143533Post:7d27e672-2494-4419-a3e6-b6e9b6e83a62">Re: NYE Wedding - Appetizer # advice</a>:
    [QUOTE]YEP ... AHHHH my wedding is actually 15 days away now, eeek. And I defintely have my menu finalized :) I was just looking for number advice regarding the number of app items I should order - I think its possible, that PP's might have thought I was looking for menu advice / opinions - but that wasn't the case - simply looking for # advice ;) Hoping someone might have served this type of menu before and could advise. FI & I are actually pretty close with about 85% of the guest list and all are aware of the style of the wedding :) It's VERY non traditional, we were really going for a "NYE Party - there just happens to be a quick ceremony at" feel. The invitations were really fun and conveyed that -- even suggested some of our favorite restaurants in the city to make reservations at prior to the ceremony :) So people should be pretty aware -- this isn't a wedding they will be attending for lavish all night face stuffing :) Just an open bar, with fun snack foods, dancing, games, photobooth...etc. I have definitely finalized my menu - and actually sampled it all - its AWESOME! And regarding the sogginess - I totally agree, that is why I am planning to have some butler passed vs. stations (so the fries will only come out fresh, same with grilled cheese triangles & not all will be sitting in ketchup for those who dislike ketchup, etc). We decided to up the number of some of the more hearty foods (ie: sliders, tacos, shrimp, chicken wings) and leave the others at 1 per person. And the hotel has advised me that if I run out of anything - they can just consult my wedding planner to see if its necessary to add more - no worries :) As for the late night snack -- we are assuming atleast the number of folks who booked a room and a bit more will stay for this portion of the evening, so we are keeping this at one per person too & will be serving mini pancake stacks, mini donuts with cappuccino, and carmalized bacon. YUM. Additionally, throughout the night..snack mixes, etc will be available. AND we aren't serving CAKE - YIKES I'm really breaking some wedding rules huh? Mini desserts will be available all night, including have pints of AMAZING local ice cream :) Regarding the vegetarian advice - I appreciate that, I do actually have 3 vegetarians in attendance and I have discussed the menu with them & even asked if they would like me to add anything in particular (at one point there was actually a black bean slider in the mix) but all said they were fine with grilled cheese, potatos, etc. Also - I definitely have considered and added non alcoholic drink options, as well as, a super cute milk & cookie toast for the few children (mainly my cute nieces) who will be in attendance. Thanks for all your advice - I really appreciate you taking the time to respond :)<strong> And now I totally understand why the city boards have shifted to facebook pages - you girls are FANTASTIC at trying to give a girl a heart attack 3 weeks prior to her wedding...completely understandable though, my fault - you didn't have enough context to properly advise. </strong>Hope you have a fantastic holiday season, that includes attending a NYE party that serves a menu that knocks your socks off (or else I feel bad for the host ;)
    Posted by Snowflakes&Cupcakes[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>Actually, it's your own fault for not having properly planned your menu until this late hour. Sorry we're the ones to have pointed that out to you. </div><div>
    </div><div>I think you need at least 3 of each pieces of what you're planning to serve per person on a NYE wedding.   If people are gonna give up a special occasion night like that to be with you, you've got to make it worth it.</div><div>
    </div>
  • Oh you're totally right! I can't believe I've made it THIS far into the wedding planning process with a concept that was THIS FLAWED! You girls, just REFUSE to accept ANYTHING that isn't traditional and it was MY FAULT for assuming SOMEONE reading these posts would!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_nye-wedding-appetizer-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:afc19e8d-0fb4-457e-a6ad-7a92f6143533Post:3ee62d3c-a5fc-4edc-8e8f-2fef203a0016">Re:NYE Wedding Appetizer advice</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh you're totally right! I can't believe I've made it THIS far into the wedding planning process with a concept that was THIS FLAWED! You girls, just REFUSE to accept ANYTHING that isn't traditional and it was MY FAULT for assuming SOMEONE reading these posts would!
    Posted by Snowflakes&Cupcakes[/QUOTE]

<div>Have a wonderful wedding!!!!!!  I think that everything you planned will turn out splendidly.  Forget about all the negative feedback.  People did the same to me.  I had an amazing wedding and lots of people on this board were very judgemental and not nice.  Every one keeps telling me how sweet and fun our "non traditional" event was and how totally us!   I joined the city FB board and I love those girls.  They are sweeties and helpful and supportive.  Sorry these girls attacked you.  Your day will be spectacular :)</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_nye-wedding-appetizer-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:afc19e8d-0fb4-457e-a6ad-7a92f6143533Post:3ee62d3c-a5fc-4edc-8e8f-2fef203a0016">Re:NYE Wedding Appetizer advice</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh you're totally right! I can't believe I've made it THIS far into the wedding planning process with a concept that was THIS FLAWED! You girls, just REFUSE to accept ANYTHING that isn't traditional and it was MY FAULT for assuming SOMEONE reading these posts would!

<div>Umm, I'm fairly certain most of us didn't have a problem with your concept at all.  The only thing we had a problem with was the quantity.    I've worked in hotels for 16+ years, I've seen plenty of parties just like the one you are planning. It's not "new" at all.    My DH is a chef.  I'm telling you from EXPERIENCE 1 app per person per item is not enough.  Ordering more food on the fly is not as easy to do as you might think. Especially on NYE because that tends to be a busy night for kitchens in general.</div><div>
    </div><div>But hey if you want to possibly run out of food, what do I care?</div>

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • We decided to up the number of some of the more hearty foods (ie: sliders, tacos, shrimp, chicken wings) and leave the others at 1 per person.

Thanks again for all your advice, again - I appreciate you all taking the time to respond. I think I got what I needed.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_nye-wedding-appetizer-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:afc19e8d-0fb4-457e-a6ad-7a92f6143533Post:08e274c3-e6c5-4b80-903e-486d8638acbd">Re: NYE Wedding - Appetizer # advice</a>:
    [QUOTE]We decided to up the number of some of the more hearty foods (ie: sliders, tacos, shrimp, chicken wings) and leave the others at 1 per person. Thanks again for all your advice, again - I appreciate you all taking the time to respond. I think I got what I needed.

<div>Again the problem with that is what if the fist half of the guests who hit the  les hearty items takes 2?  You will have the other half of the guests get none.</div><div>
    </div><div>Do you really want a guest going up to grandma and say "boy those salads on a stick were awesome".  Grandma "what salad on a stick?".    Or one guest going to another "where did you get those?" only to find out there are no more because others took more than one.</div><div>
    </div><div>You are setting yourself up for those situations. </div>

• It's not a traditional versus nontraditional issue.  I didn't have a cake, I didn't do tosses, but I fed my guests enough food.  
  • My family (and FI's family from what I've experienced of their weddings) would be super annoyed by the lack of food.  I think it's great that you want an open cocktail hour- that's very much the type of feel that we are going for too.  But you need to have enough food!  4 of each thing (if you don't add more options) per person would suffice.  As a host, I would feel better about paying for extra food, than to not have enough food.  I also agree that the food should be served all night- isn't that the point of having a cocktail party instead of a traditional dinner?

May 2013 February Siggy: Invitations

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_nye-wedding-appetizer-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:afc19e8d-0fb4-457e-a6ad-7a92f6143533Post:08e274c3-e6c5-4b80-903e-486d8638acbd">Re: NYE Wedding - Appetizer # advice</a>:
    [QUOTE]We decided to up the number of some of the more hearty foods (ie: sliders, tacos, shrimp, chicken wings) and leave the others at 1 per person. Thanks again for all your advice, again - I appreciate you all taking the time to respond. I think I got what I needed.

<div>Hi! I'm also getting married on NYE, but next year. :) We don't have everything finalized this far out, but that was the opposite advise our caterer gave us. We're having more a Mediterranean/dressed up comfort food kind of menu. We have a little more variety, but our caterer said we can anticipate 1.5-2 of the more "hearty" options. Like we are having Kobe sliders, lamb chop "martinis," macand cheese "martinis" and a sweet pea cous cous salad. We're also offering 7 or 9 other items which are more just bites, like artichoke puffs, a hummus trio, mini spanakopita and things like that, we are planning on 4-6 per person. We're also having a fruit and cheese display followed by a mini dessert bar. Our caterer said we should just plan on enough to compensate for not serving a meal, because even though it isn't a meal time, most people will plan on late dinners on NYE anyway. I hope that helps some! Have a wonderful wedding!</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_nye-wedding-appetizer-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:afc19e8d-0fb4-457e-a6ad-7a92f6143533Post:fcd7d75f-43b9-4f03-9dce-38e999bdf163">Re: NYE Wedding - Appetizer # advice</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: NYE Wedding - Appetizer # advice : Hi! I'm also getting married on NYE, but next year. :) We don't have everything finalized this far out, but that was the opposite advise our caterer gave us. We're having more a Mediterranean/dressed up comfort food kind of menu. <strong>We have a little more variety, but our caterer said we can anticipate 1.5-2 of the more "hearty" options. Like we are having Kobe sliders, lamb chop "martinis," macand cheese "martinis" and a sweet pea cous cous salad. We're also offering 7 or 9 other items which are more just bites, like artichoke puffs, a hummus trio, mini spanakopita and things like that, we are planning on 4-6 per person</strong>. We're also having a fruit and cheese display followed by a mini dessert bar. Our caterer said we should just plan on enough to compensate for not serving a meal, because even though it isn't a meal time, most people will plan on late dinners on NYE anyway. I hope that helps some! Have a wonderful wedding!
    Posted by Barbiiieee[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>exactly.  People generally take more of the hearty stuff than the less hearty stuff. 

</div>

• You can be non-traditional. A cocktail party wedding IS non-traditional. But some things, like serving enough food, are not negotiable.

Like Jessica, I'm a vegetarian. I would absolutely be taking at least 2 servings of grilled cheese and pretzle, because I wouldn't know when another vegetarian option might come my way.

I'd be a little miffed if I was told to go out and get my own dinner before attending a wedding on NYE.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_nye-wedding-appetizer-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:afc19e8d-0fb4-457e-a6ad-7a92f6143533Post:060d1c6a-af05-4b75-a2e3-ee77b3d2ca88">Re:NYE Wedding Appetizer advice</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:NYE Wedding Appetizer advice : Have a wonderful wedding!!!!!!  I think that everything you planned will turn out splendidly.  Forget about all the negative feedback.  People did the same to me.  I had an amazing wedding and lots of people on this board were very judgemental and not nice.  Every one keeps telling me how sweet and fun our "non traditional" event was and how totally us!   I joined the city FB board and I love those girls.  They are sweeties and helpful and supportive.  Sorry these girls attacked you.  Your day will be spectacular :)
    Posted by jodieanddan2012[/QUOTE]

How in the world did we attack her?  We only told her that the amount of food she was providing was not going to be enough.  That is not attacking her.  I think many of us on these boards prefer non-traditional type weddings because they are different and fun.  We did not criticize her for going non-traditional (I in fact applaud her for doing so because it will most likely make for a more memorable wedding) but we did criticize the amount of food she was thinking of providing.  I still think, even with her changes that she is not providing enough food for a NYE wedding.  People are giving up a holiday to go to a wedding and there should be a bounty of food available for them to snack on all night long.

• Hey, I'll take the fall on being the one who seemed to have attacked the OP.  It really wasn't my intention, but I did quote and essentially accuse of her of not properly planning.

But OP, my entire point was, perhaps poorly worded, but that you NEED to take the advice of the women who are saying you haven't planned for enough food to heart.  It's not our fault that you're "having a heart attack" two weeks out....we're just rightly pointing out that unless you significantly increase the amount of food you're planning to provide (AMOUNT, not necessarily variety....although I don't think that would hurt either) that you might be in a situation where a lot of people go hungry and a lot of people are p*ssed that they gave up their NYE to attend. 

Take this advice to heart. It's not frivolous.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards