Second Weddings

Wedding Dress

Hi,
I am questioning my self about what dress to wear to my wedding. I am 40 and this is my second marriage, but I eloped and didn't have a wedding. I've always regretted not having had my dream white wedding in the first marriage. I was young and wanted to save for a "perfect" wedding, then came the babies and by the time we could afford to revisit the idea I was already so unhappy that it was not even a possibility. Fast forward to now where I am divorced, and happily engaged to the love of my life. And of course, all the dreams I had before are surfacing, but we decided to have a small wedding with a limited amount of family and friends. We are having it in a backyard in a house in the Hamptons. I wanted to wear a lace ivory dress like in the picture (probably with a sweetheart neckline), but I go back and forth if it's appropriate. What do you guys think?  

Re: Wedding Dress

• That dress is lovely!  FI and I are planning a similar-sounding event, and the dress I'm hoping for is quite similar.  I had the big 'do' the last time I was married, over 200 people, the works.  This time I get to do everything OUR way, and it's really exciting.  Congratulations to you, wear what you wish to.  A wedding is a celebration regardless of whether it's the first, second, or third. 
    Meddied since 6/15/13!
  • MikesAngieMikesAngie member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited October 2012

Congratulations!!  Welcome to the board.

Just to be clear your elopement was a wedding - just not a big one with all the bells and whistles.  Some on this board opt for the intimacy of more private nuptials, and yes they are "real" weddings just as valid as the big to-do. 

If you love that dress then by all means you should wear it.  The idea that you shouldn't do this or that because it's not your first is very passé.  What you should be concerned with is the rules of etiquette. 

Other than that plan the wedding both you and your FI want and can afford.

Cheers! 

• If it's truly your dream to wear a white (ivory, cream, whatever) dress, go for it.  I don't understand what would make it inappropriate.  Educate me, please.
  • That dress is beautiful, and completely ok for you to wear. I, too, am in the process of choosing a dress for my wedding, which will be my second as well. This dress is actually on my list of possible options.
    Are you worried about it being inappropriate because it's your second wedding, or for some other reason? If it's the fact that this is your second, let that feeling go. You are entitled, as is any bride, to have the wedding you and your FI choose; and that includes wearing a dress that you love and feel beautiful in.
    Congrats to you on your new found happiness!
    Praying for a miracle!
  • That dress is amazing, and perfectly appropriate.

A lot of people mistakenly think that brides wear white as a symbol of their virginity.  Actually, the tradition is a relatively new one, stemming from Victorian times.  For centuries, women have just worn their "best dress" to get married, and for most people, white wasn't an option because it was completely impractical for every day use.   Only really really rich people could afford white clothing, and it was symbolic of wealth and opulence to wear a white wedding dress.  It showed the world that you (or your parents) had enough money to buy you a garment that you would olnly wear one time.   
    DSC_9275
  • Whatever you want to wear (the dress in the photo is lovely, by the way) IS appropriate!  It's your day - wear what you want and rock it!
    image 82 Invited
    image 35 are ready to party! image 6 have better things to do image41 are lollygagging
    RSVP Date: Dec 19
    image Favorite Registry Item/South FL Board
  • Fabulous dress!

Don't worry about what people will think. Wear the dress you want and enjoy the day!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_wedding-dress-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:35Discussion:466f02c7-8e0b-4dd4-9179-5aa275d06114Post:d074a1f9-fdea-4815-ae96-56f322d9b8ff">Wedding Dress</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi, I am questioning my self about what dress to wear to my wedding. I am 40 and this is my second marriage, but I eloped and didn't have a wedding. I've always regretted not having had my dream white wedding in the first marriage. I was young and wanted to save for a "perfect" wedding, then came the babies and by the time we could afford to revisit the idea I was already so unhappy that it was not even a possibility. Fast forward to now where I am divorced, and happily engaged to the love of my life. And of course, all the dreams I had before are surfacing, but we decided to have a small wedding with a limited amount of family and friends. We are having it in a backyard in a house in the Hamptons. I wanted to wear a lace ivory dress like in the picture (probably with a sweetheart neckline), but I go back and forth if it's appropriate. What do you guys think?  
    Posted by Lidia Nascimento[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I say, go with what you want, I am in the same boat as you and I am 49...

</div>
    Back together again, after 33 years.
  • I am 51, with a similar situation, no wedding on first marriage. I bought a Maggie Sottero dress and am looking forward to wearing it next year.

go ahead and do what you want.
  • The purity that white represents isn't really literal virginity anymore so much as it is the pure joy of new beginnings and the transcendent state into which genuine, unselfish love elevates the human animal. Wear whatever makes you happy.
    "I wish yo azz all tha dopest up in yo' marriages"
  • Thank you so much, girls. Your comments are so nice. I also bought a Maggie sottero :). Yay!!! Can't wait.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards