New York-Hudson Valley
Options

NWR: cat scratching post

does anyone here have cats and can recommend a good cat scratching post? i need to get one for these two crazy kitties as they're tearing up my chair now. i have one of those cat condos that they love to sit in/on but they don't use it as a scratcher very much. 

if you have one, which one and do your cats like it? does it tip over? i need at least a 32" tall one (one of our kids is quite large) and i'm worried that it's going to fall over when they use it. 

thanks. 

Re: NWR: cat scratching post

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I have the one that is an emery board and looks like a wave. I got it at Target. they also have a bunch that are cardboard that stand high. We also have a cardboard scratcher that hangs on the doorknob. Also, we give her tissue paper to play with, wrapping paper, and newspaper. You really need to give them a lot to play with, they have lots of energy and love to play! HTH! Our kitten Colby is now six months old.

Luckily she never touches the furniture. But in the interim there is also clear invisible tape you can get to put on the spots they scratch your couch or whatnot - you can get that at target/PetCo etc.

Kris
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    thanks! believe me, they have enough toys lol it looks like i run a day care in here. i call them kittens but really they're 2 and 3 now, so not kittens anymore but they just recently started really scratching the furniture. not sure why, nothing has changed. 

i'll check target for those scratchers, thanks!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have the clear tape (double side) on the edges of our furniture and that works pretty well. But nothing ever keeps the from scratching at our couches, it is so annoying!!! I have tried those sprays to use that say it keeps cats from scratching - didn't work, scratch pads on our door knobs, don't work. they keep occupied with things with cat nip in it, but doesn't keep them from scratching the couches though.

we just bought new couches to for the new place we move into next month, I am scratching my head (pun intended!) at WTH to do about this same issue!!
    336a Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i think it has a lot to do with the material. they don't scratch our couches i think because they're a velvet type material so it's hard for them to get their claws into. the lazyboy is a patterned normal cotton fabric so they can easily grab on to it. maybe i just need to get a new chair they can't claw at lol
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    thats a good point! so far they have ruined 3 sets of couches all slightly different material, the next ones will be microfiber I think (haven't had that kind yet). Though my cats scratch at everything from the wooden vanity in the bathroom to the carpet and the furniture.
    336a Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Try putting catnip on the scratching board to attract them. Also, I've noticed that some cats like the scratch horizontally while some like a vertical post. Maybe your have a preference.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The boards that I mentioned all come with catnip to put in them. It really attracts the kitties! You could also try growing your own catnip or grass for them to chew on as well.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards