Destination Weddings Discussions

Thinking of a DW

I have always wanted to get married on the beach...literally ever since I was a little girl, it's been my dream.

I was going to go on Monday to reserve my ceremony place just a few hours from where I live - on the beach, obviously.

I don't do stress well and on top of that with when my wedding is for (Sept. 24, 2011) I'm not sure how many people are going to be getting time off (most of my family lives out of state, so they will have to travel).

I began thinking that it might be easier if I just did a DW with my parents and FI's parents, and then come home and have a "reception".

Problem is, I have no idea where to start, where would be a good place to even look to have a DW. We don't have a big budget, but I'm hoping I can find something that will work within my price range.

Any suggestions on where to look or where to start?

Or any recommendations on where to have the DW?
Wedding Countdown Ticker
**Whenever I'm alone with you, you make me feel like I am home again; Whenever I'm alone with you; You make me feel like I am whole again**

Re: Thinking of a DW

• gabi829gabi829 member
    First Comment

Welcome to the board!  If you live in California, have you considered Mexico? There are some great resorts in Puerto Vallarta, Los Cabs, etc.  A good place to start is by talking to a travel agent because their services are free.  They can reccommend resorts within your price range.  A lot of girls on this board have used beachbumvacations and destinationweddings.com.

Another low-cost, low-stress option is a cruise.  All of the major cruise lines have wedding packages.  My fiance and I are getting married on a cruise but decided to plan our own ceremony and reception. 

Good luck with planning!

• I've always dreamed of getting married on the beach too. That's how I knew a DW was a must for me. Luckily my FI agreed! We both wanted to get married in Punta-Cana because that was the first place that we vacationed together, and we just love it there. Is there anywhere that you and your FI have vacationed together that you would like to get married? I personally suggest Punta-Cana because the beaches are beautiful, the locals are friendly and accomodating and the scenery is just amazing. Maybe there's a place where you've always wanted to go, and what better time to go there than your wedding? Otherwise, I'd suggest a travel agent. You can tell them everything you've always dreamed of (toes in the sand, etc) and they can suggest places.Good luck and let us know what you decide!
    PS So far i'm finding that a DW is waaaay more budget friendly than an at home wedding
  • Hello and welcome!  I agree with what pp said.  I don't have much to add to hers.  I suggest looking into places you would consider having your wedding.  Mexico, St. Thomas, Carribean, Jamaica are all very popular on this board.  Even florida. 

Good luck planning!
    imageExerciseMilestone Anniversary
  • Nothing new to add, but welcome!

I've been on this board since Jan '09 and have yet to hear a bride come back from her DW and say she wished she had done a wedding at home instead.  :-)
  • In Response to <a href="http://destination.weddings.com/main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_destination-weddings_thinking-of-dw?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Theme%20BoardsForum:54Discussion:845ec53d-0cd5-461c-ae60-6924577f26c1Post:fcff78d4-9e4d-4212-a9a7-038259e3a420">Re: Thinking of a DW</a>:
    [QUOTE]Nothing new to add, but welcome! I've been on this board since Jan '09 and have yet to hear a bride come back from her DW and say she wished she had done a wedding at home instead.  :-)
    Posted by chosen175[/QUOTE]

This! If people are going to have to travel from out of state anyways, they will need time off, travel arrangements, etc regardless of whether you do a DW or a traditional wedding.
  • Thank for the input.

I would rather not go to Mexico...rather go to the Caribbean somewhere or Bahamas or somewhere over on the "southeast" coast.

I really like Jamaica...and so does FI. So I'll really look into Jamaica, but, of course, other areas too.

Meghangh...I did want to ask you, who did your monograms? I love them!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    **Whenever I'm alone with you, you make me feel like I am home again; Whenever I'm alone with you; You make me feel like I am whole again**
  • My FI and I are doing the Breezes resort in Runaway Bay Jamaica, if you stay for I think 6 nights the wedding fees are all waived (Around $200 if I remember right). It's an adult only resort (absolutely no one under 14 allowed) and a 10 night stay in a suite with its own private plunge pool is going to run us about $3500 since we'll be doing an early booking (At least 6mo in advance). Don't know if that at all works into your budget, but I thought I'd toss that out there!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Nothin' more to add, just wanted to say welcome! I am a St Thomas bride :) Good luck w/ finding a location, it's the hardest part!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• jijan, that's right around what we were thinking of for a budget, maybe a bit more. i'll look into that place...thanks

and ITA, beth, I keep going back and forth between US Virgin Islands and Jamaica and a few other places. Decisions...decisions...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • i would say if ur tying to stay on a really low budget look into all inclusive resorts too. they dont charge that muchfrom what ive read here. theyre are alot of them in Dominican Republic.
    look into the Ecellence Resort...i hear amazing things from people that go there.
    good luck with the planning.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards