California-Tahoe

Photographers and Djs

Hi! I am on a tight budget and trying to find a photographer and DJ. For the photos, all we want is 5 or 6 hours, a DVD copy of edited photos and maybe a coffee table book. . . thats all. (Some of the packages are so huge)
and the DJ for 5 hours that will MC as well.
Any thoughts?

Re: Photographers and Djs

• edited January 2012
    Hi! I am on a tight budget and trying to find a photographer and DJ. For the photos, all we want is 5 or 6 hours, a DVD copy of edited photos and maybe a coffee table book. . . thats all. (Some of the packages are so huge)
    and the DJ for 5 hours that will MC as well.
    Any thoughts?
  • AllyG303AllyG303 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited January 2012
    check your local board
    <-------------------------
    Wedding Countdown Ticker weddingpreview
  • penny12986penny12986 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited January 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_photographers-djs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:e41ff8e5-a31f-42ab-8e45-9ed228b7e7b4Post:56defc7d-8192-46b0-a87b-88723e6ad498">Re: Photographers and Djs</a>:
    [QUOTE]check your local board <-------------------------
    Posted by AllyG303[/QUOTE]

Ditto.  Also, if your local board is not very active, I would recommend weddingwire.com because you can enter the zip code of your wedding and it will bring up vendors near you.
  • edited January 2012
    How about the typical cost of such? My FI has been encouraged by our caterer (friend of his) to use a DJ friend of theirs...charging $500. I don't know if that's cheap, normal, or what. I'm worried because he might not be our style.

And OP your local boards will have lots of advice on those things.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • AllyG303AllyG303 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited January 2012
    Pricing depends on your area.  To me, $500 sounds really cheap.  We're paying about $900 for our DJ, and he was one of the cheapest in SoCal.  Ask the caterer for the DJ's information.  See if you can meet up with him/her (as you should do anyway, regardless of where you find them). Talk about what you are wanting music-wise and see if he/she has any video footage of recent events so that you can see them in action, or even ask if you can stop by an upcoming event. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker weddingpreview
  • penny12986penny12986 member
    edited January 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_photographers-djs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:e41ff8e5-a31f-42ab-8e45-9ed228b7e7b4Post:9ebb26e1-221a-4ebe-9ae3-0ac8eb5b0353">Re: Photographers and Djs</a>:
    [QUOTE]How about the typical cost of such? My FI has been encouraged by our caterer (friend of his) to use a DJ friend of theirs...charging $500. I don't know if that's cheap, normal, or what. I'm worried because he might not be our style. And OP your local boards will have lots of advice on those things.
    Posted by roseofdeborah[/QUOTE]

When I was looking for these things, I emailed 10-15 vendors to get an idea about the average price.  Also, a website can give you a lot of information about what they provide, reviews, packages etc.  If they don't respond right away, you can automatically eliminate them as someone that you may not want to work with.  A fair amount of research went into the decisions that I made and I found this to be the most successful strategy for me.
  • BmoreBride311BmoreBride311 member
    edited January 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_photographers-djs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:e41ff8e5-a31f-42ab-8e45-9ed228b7e7b4Post:96216a64-f8be-4a2b-8832-26494ea00f63">Re: Photographers and Djs</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Photographers and Djs : When I was looking for these things, I emailed 10-15 vendors to get an idea about the average price.  Also, a website can give you a lot of information about what they provide, reviews, packages etc.  If they don't respond right away, you can automatically eliminate them as someone that you may not want to work with.  A fair amount of research went into the decisions that I made and I found this to be the most successful strategy for me.
    Posted by penny12986[/QUOTE]

All of this.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Not sure about a dj, but our photographer actually flew in from Dallas for the same price as a local wedding. We loved how everything turned out!

Good luck!
    Photobucket
  • http://www.tahoesbest.com has a pretty extensive list of wedding vendors. Good luck!
  • Check out Jessi LeMay Photography.  I just booked her for our Tahoe wedding.  She is out of Reno and is very familiar with the area.  Her site was very creative and reasonable priced.  I'm looking forward to working with her!
  • I am a photographer, and am very affordable! Send me an email at zarahphotography@gmail.com if you're still looking for a photographer.
  • If you still need a photographer, check out www.creativesourcesphoto.com , great prices, Don't have to purchase everything up front, like DVD and Coffee Table book.
  • For budget friendly alternatives, check out The Pros - www.thepros.com (for DJ & Photo & Video); they are a national company and average about $500 - $700 per service.  For video, I didnt want a tradional videgraphar so I booked flipahit - www.flipahit.com for $399
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards