New York-Western
Options

Marine blue and yellow/gold theme?

My fiance and I are big Sabres fans (hence why I'm posting this here), and I was thinking of having my bridesmaids in marine blue (david's bridal) dresses with gold-yellow flowers and have that theme throughout the wedding. I love the combination because I really think the yellow flowers would pop, but this is an outdoor summer ceremony... is the blue too dark for the season?

My other options are Horizon, Cornflower or Malibu blues. I could do a lighter yellow for the lighter blue dresses, but my fiance doesn't like light yellow. I feel like the darker blue would match the decor better (Butler Mansion).
Photobucket Anniversary

Re: Marine blue and yellow/gold theme?

• Options
    degreadegrea member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

IMO you are fine with marine blue. In fact I think a girl on the may broad had the same color scheme and it turned out lovely. Like you said the yellow flowers will really pop.

To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be. - Unknown Why is electricity so expensive these days? Why does it cost so much for something I can make with a balloon and my hair? - Dennis Miller
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was considering a very similar color theme but I was going to go with navy. I think it would be very nice for a summer wedding.  Maybe to make it more "summery" you could have the girls wear short dresses.
  • Options
    L&J2012L&J2012 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My mom and sister are at David's Bridal right now and they think that Marine blue is too dark (navy, essentially). I'm going to go check the color out myself, but chances are we'll go with Horizon blue. I'm definitely having them wear short dresses. My mom's suggesting some colors that are pink colors, but pink isn't anywhere in my color theme and I don't want it to be...

I think navy and a bright yellow would look nice.
    Photobucket Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My wedding is in May and my colors are navy & yellow. Love the way the colors look together the short navy dresses with yellow flowers and thinking of maybe some fun yellow shoes. If you google navy and yellow weddings you will get tons of ideas!! =)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    AZMagnini14AZMagnini14 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    my color is horizon and its a good "sabres" color. i love it! :)
    BabyFetus Ticker image
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think navy would be fine for the summer if the dresses are short length. I wore Horizon in a friend's wedding and that would be a great option too, very summery.
  • Options
    gymbugmj2kgymbugmj2k member
    edited December 2011
    i laughed when i saw your post title..immediately thought "SABRES WEDDING!" and then had to recheck that i was actually in the WNY board to see if it was intentional or accidental. =P

colors sound great. i agree a darker blue would look more formal for the venue. be sure to add in some white and silver accents where needed!  check colourlovers.com -- you can create a palatte and see what the different shades look like together.

have you thought about shower/rehearsal dinner locations?  my FI and I were considering Chef's 'french connection room' (we're sabres fans too --- even had jerseys on as part of our engagement shoot!).  Unfortunately the room is too small for us - but it would be a neat touch =)
  • Options
    L&J2012L&J2012 member
    edited December 2011
    Haha that's why I posted it here, I knew people would understand! It's a semiformal wedding, but I think the darker blue would fit in better with the decor. And they'll be short, so I don't see a problem. Thinking of having the BMs wear yellow open-toed flats. I'll probably mix some white in with their bouquets (white is my third color). Silver's a good idea...

We haven't thought about shower/rehearsal locations yet, but that sounds awesome...
    Photobucket Anniversary
  • Options
    degreadegrea member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

If you want a sabres theme rehersal dinner I would look at local bars and stuff that have a back rooms. We did a sabres, bills, yankees theme for ours. Everyone was asked to dress up in gear and we had a buffalo buffet at the Eagle House, wings, pizza, beef on weck etc. It was a big hit and a lot of fun!

To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be. - Unknown Why is electricity so expensive these days? Why does it cost so much for something I can make with a balloon and my hair? - Dennis Miller
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was just the MOH in my friends wedding and those were pretty much her colors! The blue was a little more of a sapphire blue and the flowers were tulips. We wore blue dresses and yellow accessories.. They looked great and made the whole atmosphere seem really fun and unique =)
  • Options
    L&J2012L&J2012 member
    edited December 2011
    We're going with chiffon Mori Lee gowns in Royal Blue :)  I'm thinking of yellow calla lilies for their bouquets :)
    Photobucket Anniversary
  • Options
    gymbugmj2kgymbugmj2k member
    edited December 2011
    oo which Mori Lee?   my girls will be in #744 and they looked great!
  • Options
    L&J2012L&J2012 member
    edited December 2011
    We haven't picked them out yet, but MOH will probably be in 883, and the other options are 885, 831, 791 and 836.

744 does look pretty!
    Photobucket Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards