Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Towels

I am registering at C & B and BBB.  I have heard not great things about C & B bed linens but don't know about towels.  Any recommendations from either store?  I will be registering for some white bath towels and some colorful hand towels and face cloths.  We have a bunch that are from TJ Maxx but they have practically fallen apart within a year.  My main concerns are softness/durability.

I have heard great things about the Macys hotel collection but don't want to start another registry.

Thanks

Re: Towels

• Options
    We have the Duet bath towels from BB&B.  We've had this pair for about 3-4 years and they've held up well except the color.  We purchased them in pewter and they've faded to a medium grey/blue color.  I think if you get them in a light color then you won't have this problem.

Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I've never heard anything much about C&B's towels, so I'm not much help there.  What I will say is that I have been through multiple sets of colored towels before deciding to go white and I've been very happy with white towels, since I have yet to find a brand of colored towels that will keep its color very well.  On that note, this last Black Friday we bough Apartment 9 towels from Kohl's and those have been awesome, so if you need a recommendation, those have stayed very soft and fluffy, whiter than ever.

I don't know about towels from the Hotel Collection, but we have a set of sheets from that same collection that have just been awful.  They have definitely shrank a lot in washing, and they are very prone to snags and tears.  I know that doesn't say anything about the towels, but if the quality is anything similar, I would steer clear. 

• Options
    I have had both kohls and hotel collection towels - I actually prefer the kohls towels by a long shot.  They were gold, and they held up great and didn't fade for over three years.  I finally had to replace them because they got ruined when my apartment flooded.  Certainly not their fault :)

The hotel collection I have now are white - and that's fine but they show every speck of makeup that I haven't quite gotten off before I shower.  I also got them caught yesterday while brushing my hair after a shower and now they're all snagged.  That was my fault, but I've done that before with the Kohls towels and that never happened.

FI and I are registering for PB towels - I know you don't want to start another registry, but I would either not do towels at all (and buy them post-wedding with cash) or have a small registry for linens elsewhere.  PB's microfiber towels are amaaaaaazing.  And their sheets and bedding are great too.  We're doing a PB registry almost exclusively for bed, bath, and table linens, with a few decorative pieces thrown in. BBB has a terrible reputation for bed/bath linens, and CB's reputation isn't the greatest either.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    TheSlowskysTheSlowskys member
    First Comment
    edited April 2012
    Hmmm interesting on the Duet towels - they have sort of mediocre reviews on BBB.  I will have to check them out in person.

Hoffse - Which are the towels at PB you are talking about?  I don't see any on their site called microfiber.
  • Options
    I did C&B for kitchen and dining goods and some other home goods, but then did a separate JCPenney  linens registry for towels and sheets and stuff. My reason for not going with C&B was actually that I feel like their linens are all too over priced, and there wasn't a good enough selection. I'm not a big marimekko design fan, so none of the patterns appealed to me, and they don't have a solids collection. I just feel like there's a high likelihood that any towels are going to start losing their looks after a few years, so why spend extra money on special patterns? I know what JCPs towels are like because my mother has them, and they aren't too expensive, so that's what I went with.
  • Options
    My bad I called them the wrong thing - hydrocotton are the really really soft ones (they feel a lot like microfiber ones from other stores):

FI and I are registering for the 820 gram weight classic towels because he prefers his towels a little rougher so that water comes off in the first sweep:

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

We registered for (and already have some) PB "Essential" towels, and I would not recommend anything else! I love them.

This is probably just a matter of personal preference, but I was not impressed with the towels at BBB. They felt cheap... either too stiff or too thin, and I felt that they were too expensive for what they are.

I'm not familiar with C&B towels, so I can't comment on those. But if you're not willing to make another registry, I would recommend buying towels elsewhere with cash that you receive at the wedding. Target actually makes some really fluffy towels that hold their color well and are around $5 a piece. We have some in our guest bathroom, and they're (in my opinion) better than the ones at BBB.

I would also definitely recommend seeing and feeling the towel in person before you register for it. The "cheap" feeling of the BBB towels made me certain that I would not register for towels or sheets without feeling the fabric myself - this is something that you just can't base on looks alone. So, we ordered a couple of PB towels beforehand to "test them out," and when we received them and were satisfied, we registered for them.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_towels-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:9801f8e0-8109-44f4-bfad-b4b46b57bc6ePost:a7011ebc-40a8-4e1d-b265-68638c4f21df">Re: Towels</a>:
    [QUOTE]We registered for (and already have some) PB "Essential" towels, and I would not recommend anything else! I love them. This is probably just a matter of personal preference, but I was not impressed with the towels at BBB. They felt cheap... either too stiff or too thin, and I felt that they were too expensive for what they are. I'm not familiar with C&B towels, so I can't comment on those. But if you're not willing to make another registry, I would recommend buying towels elsewhere with cash that you receive at the wedding. Target actually makes some really fluffy towels that hold their color well and are around $5 a piece. We have some in our guest bathroom, and they're (in my opinion) better than the ones at BBB. I would also definitely recommend seeing and feeling the towel in person before you register for it. The "cheap" feeling of the BBB towels made me certain that I would not register for towels or sheets without feeling the fabric myself - this is something that you just can't base on looks alone. So, we ordered a couple of PB towels beforehand to "test them out," and when we received them and were satisfied, we registered for them.
    Posted by sbelle85[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>This is true.  The essential towels were a bit too thin for me - there's a PB in Atlanta that carries them all so I could feel them in person - but they are still as nice or nicer than BBB in my opinion and generally less expensive.  We're going with the heavier towels (the essential is 650 grams/the classic is 820 grams) because FI looked like a little kid at christmas when he felt them - there's not much he's really excited about in the registering process so I couldn't say no lol.  I personally prefer really really soft towels like the hydrocotton, though they do produce a lot of lint in the dryer the first several times you wash them.  I might get some in that style for me.  What I like is that the colors are the same so you can mix and match depending on personal preferences.

</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    We didn't really like the towels at BBB and C&B either and are registered at both those places.  But we also did a registry at Macy's and loved the Hotel Collection towels and sheets.   I know a PP mentioned they did not like them, but we felt the texture and heard great reviews other places and were sold.  It really depends on what you prefer, so I would go and try some out (as best you can without using them!).  We had a Hotel Collection vendor onsite during our Macy's registry and asked them tons of questions and then shopped around/read reviews before making our decision.  We chose the microcotton in several colors, including white. 
  • Options
    We are registered for towels at Pottery Barn (we also registered at BBB, and liked PB's towels better).
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers 

• Options
    We aren't registering for towels, but I will say we currently own some BBB sheets and they are total crap.  We even got the nice ones and they already have a ton of holes in them and we've MAYBE had them for 6 months max (and they are in the GUEST ROOM).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers

image 225 Invited so far!
    image 148 Are ready to party!
    image 77 Will be missing out!
    image 0 Are MIA!
  • Options
    I know this will probably sound crazy, but I've had towels from Sam's Club for almost 3 years. There are a few snags and such, but they are a chocolate brown...the same color as when I bought them. They are relatively inexpensive and don't shrink in the washer/dryer. They may not be the absolute softest towels, but I've never had any complaints about them, especially for the price.

Maybe if you're members or have family members that are, you could drop a hint?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards