July 2012 Weddings

Dress budget

The nosy me is back for a bit!

How much did you budget for your dress and how much did you end up spending??

ETA: How much were the alterations?

doggie Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Dress budget

• mekiakoomekiakoo member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited June 2012
    I'll start!!

I don't think we had a budget technically, but I knew I didn't want anything crazy expensive.

My dress was about $680. The alterations will be about $100. Our family friend is doing them for all of us.
  • I didn't have a budget either per se, but wasn't going to go super crazy. The dress was $1700 and ended up spending $350 on alterations. I had A LOT done to the dress and actually expected alterations to be a bit more.

Anxiously awaiting baby #1! Baby BOY Due: May 30, 2013! Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Oh yeah, I forgot about the alternations!! I'll add that to the original message. Thanks for the reminder!
  • I budgeted 1,500 for the dress and alterations. My big formal dress was 350 my short second dress was 250 and alterations were 360 for both dresses. I'm glad I was able to save on the dresses so I could splurge on other things. :

Anniversary
  • edited June 2012
    budget for my attire was $2000. so i decided on a dress that was $1000 and shoes for $800. then i couldn't resist on a cocktail dress $400. my mom also purchased my chinese wedding dress. but there's no room for any acessories in the budget so ebay for the veil.  I know i'm over but i didn't see myself in my orginal choice for the wedding dress. so i purchased a more "Me" cocktail dress.  I love to play dress up at home on a bad day so i think i'd wear my dresses again. Also FI knows i've been wanting those shoes for years.  If i didn't get them for my wedding then I'd probably never get them.  I'd wear them to every wedding i go to for the 10 yrs.
  • I didn't have a 'budget' but knew I couldn't go over $1500 but I wanted to keep it way less than that.

I ended up spending just over $850 on the dress and $250 on the alterations.  Veil was $106 exactly!  Shoes cost me less than $20 (I've had the shoes longer than anything else and got them on ubber clearance).  I was given most of my jewelry but what I have spent is probably around $50.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • I wanted a very simple dress and budgeted 500.  I spent 900 and 350 in alterations and I might need more :(
  • My mom actually bought my dress, but I'm paying for alterations. The dress budget from her was 1500-2000. We ended up spending more like $2100 on the dress (it was originally more like 2400 but they gave us a deal), and she also got me a petticoat for $100. However, at my alterations appt, we nixed the petticoat because it's just too big and hot! I forget what the total was.

I have no idea how much my alterations will be. We have been using her for years (since my senior prom, over 9 years ago!) and she said she'd be nice lol My dress is going to be hard to alter though, since it's way too long and has lace sewn all over tulle...hoping for less than $300, although she's also doing a little to my second reception dress, which is short, so doesn't need much. She's also doing two of the BM dresses and my mom's dress, so I'm bringing her some business! lol
    imageAnniversary
  • My dress budget (like just the dress, not accessories) was $500...we ended up spending $750 or $700...my FIL bought my veil and hair comb for me since my parents went over budget on the dress :) 

I haven't gotten any alterations yet, I go to a woman in my hometown who does them dirt cheap, I don't have much to do my to take in the bust a little. 
  • edited June 2012
    I had no real budget but I knew I wasnt going to spend thousands of dollars. I spent $350 on my dress and $85 for alterations. Alterations is so small because the only part that needed it was the train. I needed to them add loops on the inside so I can tie it up after the ceremony. My slip was 40, bra 40. In all I have spent over 700 on the whole look, including make up, hair, jewerly etc.
    pregnancy calendar
  • My mom said she was paying for my dress and didn't really give me a budget.  The dress cost about 1200 and I think alterations were only 90.
  • I didnt really have a budget but knew I didnt want to go crazy.  My mom actually bought my dress and she had decided $1500 was her budget which was fine with me but normally when I was looking I said $2000 (i was planning to pay the rest).  My dress ended up being $900 but then I had it ordered to my length (its called hem to haul) and that was an extra $100 so It was $1000 and then i payed for my additional alterations which came to about $150.
  • My own budget was $500, but then my mom offered to pay for it up to $1000. I ended up only spending $500 anyway. Alterations were $180, which was about $30 more than I was hoping.
  • I budgeted 400.

Got the dress for 350.

Alterations were 200. -_-

But it was well worth it. I adore my dress.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My mom paid for mine a well, original budget was around 2000.  My dress was 1500, the rhinestone belt was 300 and the alterations were $500

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • No set budget, nothing crazy. I spent $800 on the dress and about $200 in alterations
    Wedding Countdown Ticker weddingpreview
  • We didn't really budget either. I was planning on buying my own dress and not consulting anyone on the price so I wasn't pressured. I ended up finding my dress off-rack so I saved almost $100 there. I spent about $1400 on the dress and I'm not sure how much alterations will be, but I've given her $100 already so hopefully not too much more!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Seen dresses online that I loved around 500, so that was mu starting point. I found my dress for just under 1000. Alterations are around 100. I made my barefoot sandles and sold many pairs.
  • My budget for just my dress was $500... my dress cost $515.... oops over budget $15, lol
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Photobucket
  • I was hoping to stay under $500 for the dress. I spent $340 on the dress, $50 on the crenoline, $79 on the bra. So I made it just under the budget. But I made out because the dress didn't need a single alteration. Plus I ordered the dress without the train which saved $100 bucks.
    Photobucket Anniversary
  • We didn't have a budget either and ended up spending a little over $2500. The alterations were only about $220 which was cheaper than I thought they'd be.
    "Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
  • mrsmoxiemrsmoxie member
    First Comment
    edited July 2012
    I got my $1000 dress for $300. The little dress shop was no longer carrying that designer, which is why it was on sale. No alterations needed, fits perfectly! And my budget was $600.
  • $1500 for dress, accessories & alterations...I think we went over a little bit...but not quite sure...=/
  • edited July 2012
    I set my budget for $2,000. My dress was $1,500, alterations were $220, and my veil was $250. I came in just around my budget! I think I may have overspent on the veil, but I really love it. 

Is anyone thinking of selling her dress after the wedding? I am seriously considering it and was wondering if anyone had looked into the process.
    imageAnniversary
  • I wasn't given a budget for a dress and I thought I was totally over stepping when I asked my mom if a $1,000 dress that I had been eying for months would be OK. Turned out it was on sale for $700. Alterations ended up being almost $600 because I got a slip to poof my dress a bit and they also said a couture gown costs more to alter. Apparently Vera Wangs ready wear is considered coutureat David's Bridal...
  • My budget was 2000 my mom gave me 1000 and anything over I had to cover my dress was 1200 alterations were 350
    Visit The Nest! BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • I hate this subject. I had no idea how much dresses cost before I got engaged and I thought it was crazy once I found out what they do. So my original budget was $600 but I couldn't find anything I liked. I fell in love with something for $5600 and almost pulled the trigger but then I came back down to earth and bought something for $1200. 

My alterations were $600 though! It wasn't hemmed, it wasn't taken in. All I had was the back lowered, sweetheart neckline made, and a bustle. I was not expecting that and I actually think I was ripped off a little. With the veil and sash I think my total is $2200ish. And I'm not proud of it. 
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • My mother paid for it.  I told the dress consultants that I wanted to stay at $1000-$1500.  My dress was more like $1800 I think.  Then with alterations, probably another $200. I try not to think about it...ugh!
    Anniversary
  • I had a budget of around $600-$800. 
    But i had seen 2 dresses i loved for around 900ish and that was as high as I was going to go. 
    So of course I fell in love with one of those. It was $900. Alterations were free by grandma, and since it was my moms veil, that is also free. 
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I was planning on spending around $150 for my dress and found one for $84. My shoes were $15 and my alterations will be $40.

Wow! I know dresses are expensive but some of your dresses cost more than my entire budget for my wedding and vacation. I know that I have a completely different style of wedding than all of you but I just can't get over that.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards