Military Brides

Renewing Vows

Hey ladies,
I have a question  my husband and I eloped  March 29 2009 before he got stationed at Point Mugu,Ca. We are wanting to do a renewal of your vows March 25 .in New Orleans It would be with some family and friends around 100-150 people. My question is  would ya'll have a wedding ceremony and reception like a regular wedding or something simple. Another thing is my husband rarely talks to his family would we send them invations even though they mostly would not come, I say we should ,but my husband doesn't know .
Britt

Re: Renewing Vows

• Beachy730Beachy730 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_renewing-vows-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:24fb8c26-e11e-4ae1-8c77-dfd36e023fcbPost:719e2f86-b652-44bd-9524-52286388311d">Renewing Vows</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hey ladies, I have a question  my husband and I eloped  March 29 2009 before he got stationed at Point Mugu,Ca. We are wanting to do a renewal of your vows March 25 .in New Orleans It would be with some family and friends around 100-150 people. My question is  would ya'll have a wedding ceremony and reception like a regular wedding or something simple. Another thing is my husband rarely talks to his family would we send them invations even though they mostly would not come, I say we should ,but my husband doesn't know . Britt
    Posted by brittbrat1620[/QUOTE]

<div>Personally I would do something simple, like a quick vow renewal ceremony.  And yes, i would invite who he wants of his family.  It is their decision whether they come or not, and it will avoid hurt feelings by not inviting them.</div>
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think I would totally mimic a wedding, so people who wanted to see you get married would feel satisfied, but with a few key differences.

I'd probably wear a cocktail length white dress instead of the full gown, I'd probably not wear a veil or a birdcage veil.  I'd skip the registry.  I wouldn't have a wedding party (bridesmaids/groomsmen).  And I probably wouldn't do the cake cutting.  I'd do an "Anniversary Dance" instead of a "First Dance".  But I'd definitely still do a "Father/Daughter Dance" if I didn't get to do one the first time!

As far as inviting your husband's family, that's up to you both.  I'd say if you wouldn't mind if they came (even though they probably won't), then invite them.  It's always good to be inclusive rather than exclusive - at least you won't burn any bridges that way!

Anniversary

• brittbrat1620brittbrat1620 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank ya'll very much that helped
    Britt
  • HazelEyes536HazelEyes536 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we are doing this August 13, 2011. we got married 2 days before he deployed to iraq. and now 2 kids later we want our wedding. so we are doing the whoile shebagn!!! and ive had friends do the same thing.
    if you want your wedding do it and who cares what others think, its your day!
  • JynxeyJynxey member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just posted asking questions about this too :) I think you should invite his family, it would be nice if they came, and if not ya'll were the bigger people. 
  • brittbrat1620brittbrat1620 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks, we have 2 kids now too so it is kinda cool to have them in it even though they are 2 and 1
  • edited December 2011
    we are doing the same thing.. He is being deployed May 25th for 6 months.  Getting Married TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!  but still having the ceremony on the original date that we picked out 10-20-2012.... 

Inviting his family even though most won't come, and I am still going to wear an actual wedding dress at the ceremony and having wedding party. 

I think it is entirely up to you and what you feel comfy with doing. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards