Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

First time poster w/ question on service charge

I'm generally a lurker, but...

My wedding is in about 2 weeks.  We had the final meeting with the Reception manager the other day.  We are doing a buffet style dinner, but there are servers that will clear plates and glasses, and salad and rolls are also served tableside.

The venue adds a 22% service charge to the bill, which I assumed paid for the servers and bartenders.  When I clarified that, I was told that the service charge goes straight to the venue and not to the workers.

My question is, should I tip the servers separately?  I already planned on providing a tip to the bartender (we are only having one) because I don't want a tip jar out on the bar. 

EDIT: I was told the service charge goes directly to the venue, so basically their prices are 22% higher than what was quoted, which annoys me, but not something I am going to fight about.  I guess I should set aside some more money for tips so these people don't get the short end of the stick
TIA!

Re: First time poster w/ question on service charge

• Options
    It sounds more than "odd" to me.  Typically when you have a large group (usually 6 or more) restaurants automatically add the gratuity and state sales tax to your bill.  I would definitely want to know what that "service charge" is for. 
  • Options
    Welcome to the board!

I agree that your venue is being super sketchy with the service charge, but it's not unheard of either. Good for you for making sure to take care of your servers too!
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. I am also going to post this on my local board and see if anyone else has used the venue and has more insight on this charge.
  • Options
    Stoli, what venue is it?  I'll go check the Cincy board.  You have me curious, too.
  • Options

MattsPenguin:

It's Receptions.

• Options
    Off the top of my head, the "service charge" might be a wedding surchage for staff wages, bartender wages, upgraded silverware and dishes. It's not uncommon that a "service charge" is something separate from gratuity, which is why brides are encouraged to double check, like you did.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards