Second Weddings
Options

To Veil or Not to Veil - That is the question

I have the dress on order, and before we ordered it there were accessories paired with it to give me ideas for veils,  hair flowers etc. 

My youngest sister (Matron OH) took pictures as well as my FI and she shared her pictures with our mom.  Mom loves, (LOVES) the veil that is called a disappearing veil and the FI is not opposed to it. 

I hadn't even thought of a veil at all, but this one is simple and sheer, plus it would go under the pulled back portion of my hair. I want to pull the sides of my hair back so that my face is more visible with flower clips or pins (not sure yet), but leave it down. I think I would remove the veil for the reception.

So the question is to veil or not to veil?  Thoughts please!

Re: To Veil or Not to Veil - That is the question

• Options
    BrooklclarkBrooklclark member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i think we are doing the same hair style. i was opposed to a veil at first because so many people will say that's for a first time bride... f that. my guy has never been married and when we were planning he said the only thing he wanted to see was me in a dress and he wanted to remove the veil and things like that. to accommodate both of us i am wearing a veil and we are doing the removal at the first look. i will take it off for the reception. i think if you want it the go for it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Definitely should be up to you.  My 1st wedding my veil was velcro-ed (is that a word?) to the inside of the headpiece.  It flipped back nicely for the "kiss the bride" and then was easily removed for photos and reception.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Do what makes you happy and comfortable.  When I was trying on dresses, I had told them I wasn't wearing one, but my daughter had asked while I was changing, "just to see".  The one pulled was very different and unique, so it didn't take long and I was sold.  My thoughts appear to be similar to your description of how you would wear it.  It has rhinestones and crystals scattered around the edge, which afterwards will be made into jewelry.  I happened to be there the day the designer was there so he helped me come up with something I was very happy with.  The rhinestones are subtle  from a distance and the idea of having something to wear throughout the years from our wedding day just makes me smile.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    130image Invited to dance the night away!
    92image Want to show their best moves!
    38image Have two left feet and won't be dancing!
    0image Are too embarrased to say they don't dance!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I am completely and totally on the VEIL train!

My initial thought was wearing a veil was the worst offense a 2nd time bride could commit.  It wasn't on my radar.  However, my family that steered me into it.  They have this idea of my son walking me down the aisle, and raising a blusher veil when he passes me off to my FI.  I am not solid on the blusher, but being with my family and talking dresses and veils made me feel like a bride. 

I have a fingertip sheer veil that I will wear just above my updo.  I plan to let down my hair and take off the veil for the reception.

My vote is GO FOR IT!
  • Options
    Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Do you love (LOVE) the look with the veil?  If so, go for it! 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi Angie,

Like pp have said, it's totally up to you and what you feel comfortible with.  As we all know the rules are out the window with us, so it's just a matter of does it go with the dress, do you like the look of a veil and what your vision is.  I say if you love it, definitely go for it.  Either way, you'll be a beautiful bride. 

Erin
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I had my heart set on wearing a birdcage veil and ordered one inexpensively from ETSY. It looked horrible on me. What ever way we pinned it or configured it.
    My son hated it and said it looked like a hairnet.
    I brought it to my hair appointment on the day of the wedding but decided at the
    11th hour not to wear it because it just didn't look good on me.
    It is totally up to you and what you feel comfortable with and what looks good on you with your gown.
    Here's my hair the day of the wedding:

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I never thought of myself as a veil person, but I ended up wearing my MIL's veil and it was definitely the right decision, just in terms of photo opportunities!  We've got great shots of the veil blowing in the wind.  I just made sure I could take it off for the reception.  But, as other girls have said, how do YOU feel?  That's what counts.  Do you feel more beautiful with or without it?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Second wedding.....hmmmm.....I VEILED IT!!!  I purchased my 120 inch cathedral style veil online at etsy in case I changed my mind but it was so beautiful.  The only thing I did different was not have it cover my face. Good Luck!
  • Options
    kmcconnell105kmcconnell105 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Im veiling it too...mo blusher though. My FI asked if he could unveil me and I said no. We are having an outdoor wedding in two weeks, its at 3pm and I just dont think a blusher fits into our plans. My veil is just past my shoulders and fits behind my updo. I think the idea of having a son unveil you is sooooooo sweet! I think I am going to have my son walk me down the aisle. I am also considering having a medalion ceremony.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    MikesAngieMikesAngie member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you ladies.  I really liked the disappearing veil jut because it didn't ditract from the gown  and it still gave me a more bridal look.  I will take another look at accessories when my gown comes in, in January! 

Retread, I hadn't worn a veil in the past either.

Now I'm wafling about one, I really did like the way it looked.  Need to play with the hair and see how it would all work for the ceremony.
  • Options
    AbbeyS2011AbbeyS2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

This is my second, FI's 3rd, and I am definitely veiling it!  The whole way - fingertip length, with the blusher - FI says he wants to lift up my veil to kiss me (had no clue he would be such a romantic about it!) and I am all for it! 

He also will not see me in my wedding gown until I am walking down the aisle.  When I asked him about both things his face lit up and his eyes sparkled when he told me how he wanted it, so I will definitely do it his way on our day!

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards