October 2012 Weddings

NWR: Exercise Question

Alright, athletic ladies, I need some help. I used to be very athletic: swam competitively into college, did soccer and track/ field in high school. But, I have multi-joint system arthritis and have had my left hip replaced (5 years ago). FI and I love to be outdoors and enjoy lots of high-energy activities.

Recently we've been playing tennis more and more, but I get overheated so quickly that  we have to stop after only playing for about 40 minutes. I love to play, and wish I could keep up with him but this overheating thing is driving me nuts! I never get this way in a pool and can swim 10,000 yds in 2 1/2 hours. So what gives?

Unfortunately, tennis is about the only dry land game I can play due to the high-impact and wear-n-tear of other sports on the hip replacement. Anyone have any tips or ideas? I hate feeling like I'm holding FI back from having a good time.

Ovarian cyst lapro: '01, '04, '09 Conal biopsy: '01- results negative Dilation: '03 for cervical scarring Pcos test: '05, FSH and LH normal Mirena removed July '12 My Ovulation Chart

Re: NWR: Exercise Question

• Well honestly 40 minutes is a long time to play straight, I think. Maybe take some cues from the pros and take more water breaks when you switch sides and then take a longer break after each set? Are you outside? Is it hot or humid, that could make a difference? Are you over 40 perhaps its menopause?
  • I'm 32...it better not be menopause! It was 87 out this evening when we went, so pretty hot but I don't ever feel hot until I get moving. FI says I'm always cold, in general, which is usually right. Maybe just taking more breaks would work, but I already feel like I'm hydrating pretty consistently while playing.

We're watching the US Open right now, so I'll have to pay attention to how often they're taking breaks. I never really noticed before.

Maybe FI's stamina is just above the norm- seems like he can keep playing forever and barely work at it! Lucky bastard ;)
    Ovarian cyst lapro: '01, '04, '09 Conal biopsy: '01- results negative Dilation: '03 for cervical scarring Pcos test: '05, FSH and LH normal Mirena removed July '12 My Ovulation Chart
  • I'm starting to get arthritis in my feet so I can understand your frustration as I know I shouldn't be running but just can't stop!! My friend just started having an overheating issue when working out and turns out it's her thyroid, so might be something worth looking into?   As for workouts It might be worth looking into bike riding? I know it's less impact on the legs, not sure how it would be on your hip though, I know I get really tight in those muscles but it's definitely easier on my knees, so might be worth trying out if you haven't tried already.
  • I have severe arthritis in my knee due to a soccer injury and three subsequent surgeries (with a 4th scheduled for after the wedding, ugh). Biking is a good suggestion and I would also suggest hiking. Its a great way to be outside, ususally in some shade and most of the trails are softer/cushioned. You should look into Kent Trails or Blanford Nature Center in the GR area.
  • We love doing a lot of outdoor things, so hiking and biking are already regular features on our itinerary. We love climbing the dunes at Warren Dunes and Van Buren state parks (we're in the Southwest corner of MI, right on Lake Michigan), but my hips can only handle so much steep incline hiking. FI and my daughter do the soccer thing, since I can't anymore. Tennis is just fun-- ping-pong on a bigger court. I think I'm just not hydrating enough for the constant "go" of playing- especially because we're both inexperienced at it and our aim sucks, so there's a lot of brief sprinting to the ball.

More fluids throughout the day leading up to playing. I hope that helps!
  • Have you thought about playing doubles?
  • Actually, doubles sounds like a lot of fun. Unfortunately, in our circle, we're really the only oudoorsy/ athletic ones. We're in a pretty small community too- it's mostly retirees and older families. I'd love to find more people in our age range with our interests, but we're also both pretty shy and tend to keep to ourselves. Oh well :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards