Wedding Reception Forum

vendor negotiating

Hi Ladies,
I'm not too sure where to ask this question, hopefully you have some advice. I have a meeting on Wednesday with the manager from my 1st choice reception venue. I am hoping to negotiate the overall price down some. Do you have any suggestions of things I should say or ask for? Also, has anyone had any luck negotiating to pay less of a deposit up front? 
TIA!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: vendor negotiating

• We negotiated, we got 2 free hours since we paid for extra hour. As far as price or per/head, nope, they didn't and wouldn't budge
  • I don't know about paying less of a deposit, becuase in my situation the deposit works as the security that we get back after the wedding. I definately negotiated by telling them I was looking into a few places, I'm getting married in the off-season so that helped as well. Ask around and see if you know anyone who knows anyone that works for or frequently uses your vendor choice. I lucked out in that my company used to go to my venue for Christmas parties. You can negotiate for less booze served at a lower price (beer and wine only), or basically say what can you do for me? (in a nice way of course) And always sleep on it before accepting any offers, let them know you are willing to walk away.
  • You can say something like, "We're hoping to pay about $x per head. What can you do for us in that price range?"

They may offer to take some things out of your package to reduce the price. If you're flexible with your date, they may tell you about their off-peak dates (in my area that means January-March dates, and times other than Saturday nights), or they may offer you a discounted short-term date if you can plan a wedding in six months (which can absolutely be done). If the venue has multiple rooms, one room may be cheaper than the other (our venue had two rooms, and we paid less for a smaller room that didn't have big windows or a high ceiling that the other ballroom did). We got the price down $5pp by guaranteeing a minimum of 125 people rather than the 100 they wanted.

Remember that YOU are in control of the situation, not them. They can work with you or they can be stubborn, but you ultimately have the power to either sign the contract or walk away. Remember that these people need to make a profit, so don't expect to pay pennies for top-notch service, but also don't go into debt just because they're not flexible.

As far as the deposit, just ask about it. See if you can set up a payment plan. They may have no problem with this, or they may not want to risk working with people who they don't necessarily trust to pay them in full.

Read your contract carefully before you sign it, and also look for reviews on your local Knot board, weddingwire.com, yelp.com, Google, citysearch.com, etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards