Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Heartburn Blues

I have had terrible heartburn lately so I googled to see what I should not be eating to help me avoid it.  It looks like I need to avoid coffee, chocolate, alcohol, citrus fruits, onions, peppermint, tomatoes and high fat foods.  I love hot beverages in the evening so I usually have some herbal tea.  Does anyone know if that is okay for heartburn?  I would stay away from lemon or peppermint tea.  But I have this peach tea that I love.  Also, any other suggestions?  I'm miserable when it comes on.

Re: Heartburn Blues

• Options
    I think tea should be fine. Honey helps me. It coats my throat nicely. I buy the raw form, and sometimes just eat a spoonful when I need it.
  • Options
    Prilosec and maalox chewables.  Invest in them.  
    my read shelf:
    Amber Lea's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) imageTell Me A Tale
  • Options
    Hmm...I'm thinking peach tea might trigger it, too.  Have you tried Prilosec?  I used to get heartburn all the time, but it would stop for weeks after doing the Prilosec OTC regimen.  Try drinking more water, too.  I stopped getting HB almost completely when I stopped drinking soda and started drinking more water.  Good luck!

Stop The Drama!

image Love people. Use things. Never confuse the two.
  • Options
    Thank you all.  I guess I'll start getting the Prilosec.  I was trying to use Pepcid Complete, but it only helps a little.  I don't drink soda and try to mostly drink water (due to UTI issues) but I drink a cup of coffee each morning and that is going to have to stop.
  • Options
    I find that once I've taken prilosec a few times, things are more manageable.  I then up the dose if stress indicates.  When mine is under control I only take it once every week or two.  Also, saltines are a life saver for me when I have heart burn.  I get the "hint of salt" ones and just nibble on them slowly.  
    When it is bad, try to stick to white foods.  Saltines, mashed potatoes, and things like that are all good for getting it under control.  Let us know if you need more help. 
    my read shelf:
    Amber Lea's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) imageTell Me A Tale
  • Options
    Thanks again Night.  I'll have to look for those crackers too!!
  • Options
    **Warning Dorky Reply**
    Prilosec is a PPI (proton pump inhibitor) and it is more potent than Pepcid (an H2 blocker) thus works better for most people. Also, just FYI Pepcid has more drug interactions than PPI b/c it inh an enzyme in the liver that processes a lot of other drugs.

Regarding peach tea; all tea has caffeine in it, but depending on the type of tea it can have a lot less than coffee. HTH (and wasn't too dorky)Smile
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I'm way late to this, and I hope you see it. I've had several friends that swear by this. Drink a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar every morning. It works really well, apparently.
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • Options
    I have had stomach problems since I was young (gastritis) which always flares up when I am stressed out.  A couple years ago, I decided I needed something better than eating handfuls of Tums, and went to see the doctor, who prescribed Zantac.  You can get Zantac over the counter as well, and it has worked incredibly well for me.

Other foods you might avoid that I have found can cause pain/acid stomach are oily/greasy/fried foods, spicy foods, acidic foods (this is why tea and coffee bother you, because of the tannic acid- if you drink herbal teas this should not be a problem), and certain raw vegetables (apparently bell peppers are really hard to digest).  Also be aware that if you are taking large amounts of ibuprofen or other medications, those may irritate your stomach as well.

Hope that helps!
    "Plus who needs a purse when you have a wedding dress? Those things are like walking hobo bags just waiting to be stuffed with surprise treasures." -Wedinator.com image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards